Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@awillys, did you manage to get in touch with MFT Transport Systems? They should be back from vacation this week.

They still haven't responded to my Email.
BTW, I just checked my Spam folder and saw that they responded to me a week ago.

"I´m sorry - our BackBox is only for the European streets - not international. We don´t ship to Canada."

Very sad. I was about to place an order today.

I have a similar SportRack type of cargo carrier. I am curious how it affects AP.

I recently saw a video where someone had skis (or snowboards) and was using AP. Has anyone tried this?

When the Trailer Notification pops up, can you just decline it since you are not towing a trailer? How does it affect the sensors?

@awillys and others. I am really interested in what lockable box solutions work with AP2.

1. Anyone with AP2 try the MFT box?

I only mention AP2 because they have 8 cameras. So having something behind might cause an issue.

2. I am assuming that you just buy one MFT box size and there are these extender ears to add length to the box

These extenders appear to be limited to the middle of the box , but perhaps enough for a longer snowboard. its a shame it isn't on the side or bottom or top as opposed to the middle as it severely limits the possibility of putting a ice chest int here with a snowboard. Of course there are YETI Hopper bags.

Getting 2017 Tesla MX75D with AP 2 (5 seater folds flat) with superchargers (grandfathered as was ordered in 2016 but had the build date set for after 2017) so I am eager to go road trip.

@awillys and others. I am really interested in what lockable box solutions work with AP2.

1. Anyone with AP2 try the MFT box?

I only mention AP2 because they have 8 cameras. So having something behind might cause an issue.

2. I am assuming that you just buy one MFT box size and there are these extender ears to add length to the box

These extenders appear to be limited to the middle of the box , but perhaps enough for a longer snowboard. its a shame it isn't on the side or bottom or top as opposed to the middle as it severely limits the possibility of putting a ice chest int here with a snowboard. Of course there are YETI Hopper bags.

Getting 2017 Tesla MX75D with AP 2 (5 seater folds flat) with superchargers (grandfathered as was ordered in 2016 but had the build date set for after 2017) so I am eager to go road trip.
I wouldn't concern yourself with the MFT Boxes, as they do not ship to North America. :(

Plus I have an snowboard friend who works as cabin crew and he could easily bring one back for me.

In practice , I wonder how much more I would prefer a swing out box compared to the drop down box. The swing out box can serve as a table. Whereas the other box is always in the way of getting to the contents in the trunk area.

for those wanting a quick solution.

Amazon.com : SKI-HIKER 2 : Sports & Outdoors

These are good.

I have had a set of the board hiker version for snowboards since 1987. They still work great- rubber never tore. Attach to any car window... but it would suck if you put these on the front door and someone opened the FWD first. though maybe the FWD would see them and not open???

Last edited:
I don't know if it matters to you, but once you hook up any lights, the car automatically goes into Trailer Mode and AP is disabled. Without a light hook up, it is only an issue when backing up, as the sensors think you are about to hit something. Otherwise, they don't notice it. Of course, you lose your rear camera.

Hmmm that sucks. If I made an optical periscope for the tail lights that is a work around- but its wouldn't have the wide viewing angle needed without a curved reflector lens.. Of course I can think of 4 other work arounds.

It seems silly that AP wouldn't be disabled for a ski rack on a hitch but would for a box. Id have to make a box low enough to not block the camera

AP is disabled because you hook up lights. The ski rack and those cargo carriers generally don't plug into the lights.

Thus, so long has your box doesn't block the light, I think you are good. Or you could try to plug into the rear lights themselves, but others have run into problems fiddling with the electrical system.

I don't know if it matters to you, but once you hook up any lights, the car automatically goes into Trailer Mode and AP is disabled. Without a light hook up, it is only an issue when backing up, as the sensors think you are about to hit something. Otherwise, they don't notice it. Of course, you lose your rear camera.
What you say is true, however, you can manually disable Towing Mode (console icon goes from Blue to Yellow) so that Auto-Pilot still works. I did exactly this on a ~1200 mile trip last week.

With regards to the MFT trailer, that's the best solution I've seen so far for carrying snowboards/skis with a Model-X and keeping them protected from the elements. I really, really wish you could order them in North America. Next time I'm in Europe, I may order one and bring it back with me.

Reactions: aaydemi
HeY guys.

The MFT Backbox is definitely the best solution for Model X. Especially if you don't like to clean your skies after every trip.

I've been using it now several times up to my cottage at Lillehammer. It's easy to use and you can dismantle it yourself in a few minutes.

Only drawback is that it takes maximum 188 cm skies. But you can remove the extenders and leave a longer bag with your skies inside.
Hopefully someone can 3D print some larger extensions so skies up to 210 cm could fit. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: goneskiian