Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Leather going away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always noticed that Grey leather isn't available on the Model X.

It's still my preferred colour for Model S seats.

I noticed today that if you select Grey Next Generation leather seats on Model S, it quotes a USA delivery date of Mid 2017.

Only with Grey Next-Gen seats. The other seat types all have delivery in 6 weeks or whatever.

I wonder what this means? Will the grey seats get phased out?

Unless it is a web site bug, they are obviously trying to avoid having to deliver grey seats!!!

Alternate theory: in addition to 100kWh battery they are about to upgrade the Model S seats to a "Third Generation" seat that has perforation/netilation/cooling, call it what you will, plus perhaps a non-leather option a la Model X.
seats.PNG

I took delivery 5 weeks ago with the Grey Next Gen seats on a Model S. I was told they had a large demand for the seats and they couldn't keep up, so they were going to be putting them on hold.

I don't think that mid 2017 is a realistic date and it will probably be sooner. By putting a date that far out people don't delay their orders.

I have to say the grey seats look really sharp. I wish they made the ultra white seats and the black rims for the MX available for the MS, because that would look even better.

Reactions: ModelX
That and it's just an ugly color for leather, so 1980's. People over 50 seem to love it, that and tan.....gag.
I have the grey interior and I think it's awesome... and I'm only 30. That said, I totally agree with you on the tan (it's hideous).

My issue with black interiors is that, especially with the Model S, you just end up in a sea of black nothingness--no contrast, no detail, no differentiation between surfaces, just cave-windows-cave (assuming the black headliner). Plus, I live in the desert, so dark surfaces are really uncomfortable to sit on after they've been baking in the sun for a few hours.

I only have to wipe down my seats about once every month or two to keep them looking great--it's not like black seats don't get dirty, you just can't see it as easily... you still have to clean black seats regularly to keep grime from getting ground into the leather and prevent debris from collecting at the seams (both of which can impact the life of the leather).

Last edited:
So as someone at the upper end of the millennial age range... I opted for the Next Gen Tan seats, but I've had tan seats in every car I've ever owned. I dislike black seats as they get too hot, and when you live in a location that gets 100F+ for much of the summer... Now mind you the fact I can pre-cool my car, this might not have been an issue. But I also like the contrast that comes with a lighter colored seat. I considered the gray but the fact I've had tan in all my other cars was my reason. So mostly black seats get too hot + visual contrast, but also what I'm used to.

I will say I really like the look of the ultra white interior on the Model X, but really feel like it would look dirty super easily.

Also, if you ordered your vehicle before the seats started having a future availability date... it seemingly won't delay your order anymore than normal. This was discussed in a number of forums, and my DS confirmed it when I asked if there was something like that holding up mine going into production that wasn't on the site yet... as it took 37 days for my Model S to go into production after getting my VIN.

Reactions: ishop4more
Our 70D is multicoat red and the gray works very nicely with it, thank you. Many people have said they like our upholstery color. (Maybe they were just being nice?) Our car is almost 11 months old,m and I have seen very little dirt or staining. There was one dirty streak a while ago, and it came right off with some Lexol.

In any case, tastes vary, so I don't think anyone's choice should be criticized.

IMO the grey next gen seats look awesome - I think they especially go well with the CF trim and all the tech in the Model S, and give nice contrast and brighten up the interior. Of course everyone's tastes differ, and that's perfectly fine
Photos: Grey Next Gen seats + Carbon Fiber + Black Alcantara + Premium Front Console

I've previously had (and loved) black leather seats for many years, though I always found they got too hot even in our mild climate. Not so now with grey (& with pano roof too). And after 8 months, absolutely no problems with the grey seats getting dirty, YMMV.

If there's a big demand for grey and if perhaps Tesla is having supplier issues, then that might be the delay on new orders? If you're thinking of the grey I don't think you'll regret the choice, assuming you can wait until mid 2017(!)