Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greyhound in the Model S boot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, newbie here looking to buy a Model S soon. The only thing causing me concern is that I have a greyhound- and they're obviously quite tall.

So first question- any pictures with your greyhounds or equivalent height dogs in the boot? Size isn't the concern- the boot is broad and deep enough. It's the height.

I've tested my boy at a showroom and popped him in the boot. He won't be able to go in the backseat as I have children.

I had two concerns-
-He can't stretch to full height. He can if he stands in the footwell but obviously that would be dangerous. But looking at pictures here and online, there are people taking their dogs in the boot where they can't fully stand up- so maybe frequent breaks to stretch legs is the only issue?

- The automated door on the boot is a bit worrying - tails, paws- the breed can be very swift moving- but I have this idea that if a put a boot liner where I can turn the bumper flap up shutting the boot then it should be fine. Have actually found boot liners with bumper flaps up.

All thoughts and any pictures highly appreciated, thank you!!

Christ. Mitt Romney would love that thing.

national-lampoons-vacation-1983-movie-08.png

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Hi there, newbie here looking to buy a Model S soon. The only thing causing me concern is that I have a greyhound- and they're obviously quite tall.

So first question- any pictures with your greyhounds or equivalent height dogs in the boot? Size isn't the concern- the boot is broad and deep enough. It's the height.

I've tested my boy at a showroom and popped him in the boot. He won't be able to go in the backseat as I have children.

I had two concerns-
-He can't stretch to full height. He can if he stands in the footwell but obviously that would be dangerous. But looking at pictures here and online, there are people taking their dogs in the boot where they can't fully stand up- so maybe frequent breaks to stretch legs is the only issue?

- The automated door on the boot is a bit worrying - tails, paws- the breed can be very swift moving- but I have this idea that if a put a boot liner where I can turn the bumper flap up shutting the boot then it should be fine. Have actually found boot liners with bumper flaps up.

All thoughts and any pictures highly appreciated, thank you!!

Hi
We have a Greyhound. We don't have kids so we have never had the seats up and the dog in the trunk but with the seats down and her bed in the trunk she was able to stand back there but bumped her head. She is 60 lbs.
You do have to make sure you get a good tint on the hatch, it does get hot back there even if it's cool outside, the sun heats it up quick.
Your routine would probably need to be to load her in the back and wait for them to settle and lay down, then close the hatch. Because you will need to make sure the tail doesn't get caught and their head is low.

Since we don't have kids I removed the back seats and built her a bed for our road trips :)

MVIMG_20190713_131212.jpg

Hi
We have a Greyhound. We don't have kids so we have never had the seats up and the dog in the trunk but with the seats down and her bed in the trunk she was able to stand back there but bumped her head. She is 60 lbs.
You do have to make sure you get a good tint on the hatch, it does get hot back there even if it's cool outside, the sun heats it up quick.
Your routine would probably need to be to load her in the back and wait for them to settle and lay down, then close the hatch. Because you will need to make sure the tail doesn't get caught and their head is low.

Since we don't have kids I removed the back seats and built her a bed for our road trips :)

View attachment 432483
Thank you! That really helps. Yes that's exactly what we were thinking. Settle him in, make sure he's lying down in his bed, then shut the boot.

Thank you! That really helps. Yes that's exactly what we were thinking. Settle him in, make sure he's lying down in his bed, then shut the boot.
No problem. Be prepared to add a fan or two back there for them though. Maybe run a 12v wire from the console and get a 12v fan. There is just no air flow with the seats up.
Send me a picture if you decide to go for it :)

B011D61C-4FF5-4A2C-8B78-528795F82E50.jpeg

He fit okay for a 3 hour family drive with a couple stops. He laid down to be comfortable, and we left the single seat flat for better ventilation and petting. I would recommend a battery powered fan back there for any type of distance.

Usually he just sits in front of rear seats on the floor, because he’s too big to jump up.

I doubt your dog could stand but might be able to sit upright with its face sticking into the rear seat area, that's what my 60lb lab does.

It does get very hot back there in minimal sun. Get the shade and maybe a Noggle.

Just a note but even with shade and noggle my kids tell me it gets too hot often, this is the first summer of using the rear facing seats (same location your dog would be) and I will need to build in a couple 120mm fans back there as soon as I can. Only short trips as it is now.

Last edited: