Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it looks like Elon might take a look at this thread, I wanted to chime in from the other side of the aisle. I like the current Model 3 front a lot,and I enjoy S3XY's contribution, but there seems to be a lot of support for Mihai75's design. Unfortunately, I think that change would practically be a deal-breaker for me (no offense Mihai, I just hate the concept. I'm sure you're a fantastic person). I hope I don't receive negative feedback about this, but I thought that input might be appreciated.
I go back and forth between them. The more I see the original design the more I like it but I wouldn't be against the change either.

Reactions: houdini
I like the look of the current prototype pretty well. I think the blunter nose actually gives the unfortunate people that have to have a front plate a place to put is that effectively negates the aero impact of slapping a piece of flat metal to the front of the car. By having the plate fully backed by purposefully designed bumper, you don't have it sticking out into other areas and causing drag.

I'd also guess that there are probably a dozen considerations none of us are even thinking about in terms of safety, airflows, govt regulations, bridge-to-future-design-language-that-we-won't-see-for-years, etc. While perhaps some folks might really take offense and go as far as cancel an order over it, I think the vast (VAST) majority of people will take the car as a whole and merrily drive into the sunset with it.

For the first 10 seconds of the reveal I was like "uh, whut? woah..." but then started to get it, and after seeing that spy video of the silver one on the street it just looks damn sexay. They are making some tweaks and in the end I trust in Tesla ti give us something fantastic.

My attempt at addeing the 3 horizontal lines from the Tesla E

Attachments

• tesla 4.jpg
    tesla 4.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 343
I'm a fan of the current 3 Design. I think all it needs is some small embellishment similar to the X but maybe less pronounced. The happy car look suggested is nice too, but I think a slightly more aggressive look is warranted for a car of this caliber.

My primary concern has to do with license plates! I think it would be innovative/smart and betray an attention to detail if Tesla provided a built in way to put a license plate on that doesn't involve damaging the vehicle!!!! It seems like this is always an afterthought with automakers, and I HATE drilling into the nose for some stupid law. Perhaps some sort of mounting point for an included but optional bracket that comes out from the hole area beneath the nose?

Also, I wonder if it's worth taking into consideration how placement of the license plate affects Drag Coefficient.

Uh, Tesla just announced what is by all accounts a revolutionary, disruptive, game changing car. And we're not happy with the unconventional grill? I invite readers to peruse the archives of the Model S forum from 4 or 5 years ago regarding the then yet to be released Model S. Complaints aplenty. All rather personal and generally petty. And, among the biggest complaints was the grill/nose cone. Now, I'm sure some still aren't happy with the Model S nose cone. But, I would guess many have come to realize it is part of the car and the car is beautiful. Tesla makes what many consider the world's greatest car. It doesn't need air flowing through a radiator. It does benefit from maximizing aerodynamics. Beautiful form and high function. I accept that some may not like the front of the Model 3 but please recognize that it is in total a beautiful piece of art that has a great deal of utility built into the design.

I too was a little surprised at the unveil, but after a few minutes I felt comfortable with the design of the front-end. I love it more and more, every time I see it. I'm only somewhat disappointed that I'll have to wait until 2018 to drive it. I seriously hope that orange-ish red color is one of the choices (or a full orange metallic).

Reactions: youlikeadajuice
Half? 115k put in reservation sight unseen. We're now close to 300k. So nearly 2/3 reserved after seeing in a matter of days. Reservations have exceeded everyone's expectations, including Elon. This hardly sounds like the behavior of disappointed customers.

I think they'd have twice the reservations right now with Mihai's design rather than what was shown. They actually may have shown a design with a front that would temper Model 3 enthusiasm for now to minimize "osborning" of the Model S/X.

Uh, Tesla just announced what is by all accounts a revolutionary, disruptive, game changing car. And we're not happy with the unconventional grill? I invite readers to peruse the archives of the Model S forum from 4 or 5 years ago regarding the then yet to be released Model S. Complaints aplenty. All rather personal and generally petty. And, among the biggest complaints was the grill/nose cone. Now, I'm sure some still aren't happy with the Model S nose cone. But, I would guess many have come to realize it is part of the car and the car is beautiful. Tesla makes what many consider the world's greatest car. It doesn't need air flowing through a radiator. It does benefit from maximizing aerodynamics. Beautiful form and high function. I accept that some may not like the front of the Model 3 but please recognize that it is in total a beautiful piece of art that has a great deal of utility built into the design.

Tesla's designer Franz von Holzhausen has said that when the Model S was out, the one element he wished he could go back and change was the nose cone.

IMO The model S has the best design, and what I think people dont like most about the nose cone on the S is that remains black no matter what the car color is and that makes it look jarring when you start to go through the color options. However, on black its the best because the nosecone looks more apart of the design of the car. If they make the nose cone plastic piece the same body color as the car I think it would be received better overall, thats what people are liking about the grill-less X and now 3. For me having to drill into the body of the car for a plate is horrific and there is no way to avoid that with the Model 3 Design.

Wrong.
It's not a color thing.

Black on black just hides the fact that the nose cone is out of place.
Making the nose cone body color is like putting makeup on a wart.
The Wart is STILL THERE.

The S needs a cooler front end.
My god man, at that price point and with those specs... It's a requirement.

If they just did this, all would be right in the universe (see attached)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 285
I like the look of the current prototype pretty well. I think the blunter nose actually gives the unfortunate people that have to have a front plate a place to put is that effectively negates the aero impact of slapping a piece of flat metal to the front of the car. By having the plate fully backed by purposefully designed bumper, you don't have it sticking out into other areas and causing drag.

I'm one of those unfortunate people.
That said... Nobody needs THAT much space to mount a license plate.

Yeah, dull the bull nose. Just lower the upper lip.
This it too pointed for my taste. A more rounded version, close to the front trunk line will get her there.

The thing about making the front more rounded is that all the other lines on the front are sharp creases. Look at the upper fender lines and the hood lines and the lines under the headlights. I would think you would want to keep that same design motif.

I think we are just used to seeing vehicles with a lower lip and a grill. Because there is no ICE to cool, there is no need for a grill. It was a shock at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. But, If they lowered that lip just a little, I think I would like it a little more ;)
That said, the Model 3 is so far ahead of the competition, in every single metric, it's just ludicrious. The Chevy Bolt is more expensive and it looks like a cheap piece of crap, which Chevy is accustomed to producing. Now that Tesla has entered the consumer market, the big guys have some serious competition. Why all the big electric car manufactures are making "goofy" looking electric cars, is a mystery to me. Thank you Elon for making a sexy looking electric car.

don't see why this has to be so complicated. people have different tastes. Tesla literally may have demand for a couple million of these per year. most car companies need about 6 or 7 different models to reach that kind of demand. Tesla can have the massive efficiency of doing that with one model, but offer a few different options for the front end so each is thrilled according to their own tastes. if they can offer a glass or aluminum roof on the Model S when it was running at 20K units/year, they can offer multiple front ends on the 3 that will run at 400K per year near term, and I really think a couple of million per year long term.

Wrong.
It's not a color thing.

Black on black just hides the fact that the nose cone is out of place.
Making the nose cone body color is like putting makeup on a wart.
The Wart is STILL THERE.

The S needs a cooler front end.
My god man, at that price point and with those specs... It's a requirement.

If they just did this, all would be right in the universe (see attached)

Joules - I dont think you should say that an OPINION is "Wrong"....your retort is simply your opinion and if you have a Model S then you like the rest of us owners were satisfied with the look of the nose cone enough to buy it. If you have not bought one and the reason is the nose cone then the Model 3 or X is probably the car for you.

I'm a fan of the current 3 Design. I think all it needs is some small embellishment similar to the X but maybe less pronounced. The happy car look suggested is nice too, but I think a slightly more aggressive look is warranted for a car of this caliber.

My primary concern has to do with license plates! I think it would be innovative/smart and betray an attention to detail if Tesla provided a built in way to put a license plate on that doesn't involve damaging the vehicle!!!! It seems like this is always an afterthought with automakers, and I HATE drilling into the nose for some stupid law. Perhaps some sort of mounting point for an included but optional bracket that comes out from the hole area beneath the nose?

Also, I wonder if it's worth taking into consideration how placement of the license plate affects Drag Coefficient.
I like that idea. Indented with a clear cover to maintain the aerodynamics.