Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always game with assuming good intent. Thus, moving on with such.

Two clarifications:

1) Purchase decisions: My reference was the OP making a purchase decision of Model S, not of Model X. I agree that currently one can not really make a purchase decision on Model X, but people can and do make decisions to buy competing products (or postpone buying them) and that's where insight into Model X may influence the decision.

2) Risk and responsibility: I agree that we all bear responsibility on the decisions we make based on information gathered by others. That goes for OP too. Whether or not he made a good purchase decision is on him, not us. Whatever conversation we may provide, if he acts on it, it is on him. And vice-versa. I wouldn't even call it informed decision necessarily, just information to help with the decision. At your own risk.

This goes especially to uncertain pre-release information gathering, but it does apply to post-release decisions too. Communities such as this one are generally there to help, and to provide company, but not to outsource responsibility to.

oops. Sorry I was gone so long. ding dang rippin' frippin' MySQL sure is cranky to update, consumed two whole days it did.

I'm for putting this on the "never mind" pile -- didn't mean to troll the gang, just thought maybe Tesla was a little closer to releasing info. I've already made my purchase decision, so it really was just idle curiosity. Sorry 'bout dat...

I would assume the ride height at the low setting would be the same as the Model S. At highway speeds you don't need clearance and you want better aerodynamics. But there's no reason they couldn't have the high setting be much higher than the Model S. Just no way to know.

Has anyone actually tested the effect of ride height on range? If I recall, it was questioned whether vehicle with an aerodynamically clean underside really gained much by being lower. I tried to search but searching does not work well on my phone...

oops. Sorry I was gone so long. ding dang rippin' frippin' MySQL sure is cranky to update, consumed two whole days it did.

I'm for putting this on the "never mind" pile -- didn't mean to troll the gang, just thought maybe Tesla was a little closer to releasing info. I've already made my purchase decision, so it really was just idle curiosity. Sorry 'bout dat...

No need for apologies :). Some of us thought you were just looking for facts and left it at that. Glad your update finally completed.

The interesting question of the ground clearance remains.

In the tow-hitch thread there was conclusion that if (as it likely is) the tow hitch is 2", then the rims would be 19". They also seem like 19" to me. Left Lane News is able to provide us with some quite high resolution photographs of the Model X mule - the one most commonly seen, I think, recently: Picture 9 - Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X

I blew the image up to 300% and in the most directly from side large image the rims are roughly 390 pixels high on both sides, so it is fairly directly from the side. Front ground clearance behind the tyre is 137 pixels or 35.1% of the rims. Rear ground clearance before the tyre (ignoring the lip) 115 pixels, as the car seem rear heavy in the images, of 29.5% of the rims. That would translate to 6.7 inch and 5.6 inch ground clearances respectively or an average of roughly 6.2 inches.

Now, we don't know if this is in normal or high setting, but "normal" would be fairly expected in the driving scenario we are seeing. If I recall the "normal" in Model S is around 4.5 inches? The above numbers would be in line with the Audi-based expectation that Model X might be 1.5-2 inches above that.

Feel free to correct if/where my math is off, a very quick calculus on my part.

image.jpg

a good angle to see clearance

What car was that behind the X Mule?

Definitely an Audi Q7 facelift. We can see part of the single frame in the second image: Picture 3 - Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X

Q7 is not a cross-over (SUV platform based on Touareg/Cayenne) so it is expected to ride higher than Model X which is not an SUV. Indeed it would seem the Q7 is riding higher. But Model X is riding higher than a Model S, in my estimate.

I stand by my expectation - based on other CUV conversions - that Model X will be somewhere around 1.5-2.5 inches higher in ground-clearance than Model S (comparing air to air).

The latest Model X mule shot has probably what looks like the highest ground clearance so far. It also seems have quite large wheels and not be rear-heavy like so many other mule shots have been (perhaps because this one is breaking instead of accelerating but perhaps also due to test load and/or suspension setting differences).

I would say, judging by this shot, the expectation that Model X has an Audi allroad like somewhat higher ground clearance compared to the sedan would seem reasonable. Still no Land Rover levels, but more than Model S.

What do you guys think?

The latest Model X mule shot has probably what looks like the highest ground clearance so far. It also seems have quite large wheels and not be rear-heavy like so many other mule shots have been (perhaps because this one is breaking instead of accelerating but perhaps also due to test load and/or suspension setting differences).

I would say, judging by this shot, the expectation that Model X has an Audi allroad like somewhat higher ground clearance compared to the sedan would seem reasonable. Still no Land Rover levels, but more than Model S.

What do you guys think?

I sure hope your right and this indicates they are going with some good ground clearance. I noticed EM in the conference call last night did not call the MX a CUV or something between minivan and SUV; he called the Model X an SUV. If that is how he wants to describe the MX, it needs ground clearance at least close to a Subaru Outback. He also said it handled like a sports car. If Tesla was able to offer a vehicle with SUV clearance and sports car handling that would be a home run that would blow away the competition.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how some of these other SUV's drive and handle. I've driven a Cayenne and a Q7. I expect the X to ride and handle even better. Should be pretty great!

I was thinking about Elon calling the X and SUV and I think he really should use the CUV moniker as it's definitely more accurate. I think most will think of it as an SUV though.

I sure hope your right and this indicates they are going with some good ground clearance. I noticed EM in the conference call last night did not call the MX a CUV or something between minivan and SUV; he called the Model X an SUV. If that is how he wants to describe the MX, it needs ground clearance at least close to a Subaru Outback. He also said it handled like a sports car. If Tesla was able to offer a vehicle with SUV clearance and sports car handling that would be a home run that would blow away the competition.

Just because I have trouble figuring out what this means I decided to look up the ground clearances. The Outback has a ground clearance of 8.7 inches. The Model S goes from 5.2 to 7.3 inches, the Audi Allroad goes from 5.6 to 8.2 inches and the Audi Q7 goes from 5.9 to 9.5.

Looking at the Mule pictures isn't much help, because they're mostly on the highway so probably at the lowest setting (all of the Model S early vehicles had active suspension, so I'm assuming it's the same for the Model X).

Just because I have trouble figuring out what this means I decided to look up the ground clearances. The Outback has a ground clearance of 8.7 inches. The Model S goes from 5.2 to 7.3 inches, the Audi Allroad goes from 5.6 to 8.2 inches and the Audi Q7 goes from 5.9 to 9.5.

Looking at the Mule pictures isn't much help, because they're mostly on the highway so probably at the lowest setting (all of the Model S early vehicles had active suspension, so I'm assuming it's the same for the Model X).

Thank you for taking the time to dig up those.

Of the one's mentioned, I find the Audi Allroad vs. Audi Q7 comparison to be the most relevant. At least depending on generation, Audi's Allroads are best described as cross-overs, CUVs as they are based on the respective wagon models. Audi Q7, on the other hand, is a proper SUV. Model X, of course, is a cross-over based on a hatchback (or sedan in the minds of some) that is the Model S... Model X is not based on an SUV platform.

So, maybe we're looking at around 8.0-8.5 inches for the Model X, assuming gregincal's numbers are accurate?

Have they changed the Model S air suspension so you can drive at normal speeds with the extra clearance? If not, I would prefer something closer to the Outback's clearance with OUT being restricted to lower speeds required by air suspension.

Have they changed the Model S air suspension so you can drive at normal speeds with the extra clearance? If not, I would prefer something closer to the Outback's clearance with OUT being restricted to lower speeds required by air suspension.

No, it will lower itself eventually.

...in the Model X that's why they'll have an automated spoiler to counter the lift created by high speeds and high-up tail without much of a slope... ;)

Disclaimer: I have no information/facts that there would, could, should be a spoiler. :)