Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I don’t have a solution at this time. I ended up having the installers remove the Hansshow frunk and return it to stock. I received a text from my installer this morning saying their engineers figured out issue was with a variation in the strut support bracket assembly. Certain number of M3s may have the issue of out of tolerance with their product. He also said that there is an adjustment to be made of the strut support brackets (how that is done I don’t know). My vintage of my vehicle is 12/2018. Sorry not any more help.

My kit has the same issue, the struts don’t have the same travel as the factory struts and prevent the hood from closing fully. Car is a 2019-07 build. I suspect Tesla may have changed the hood strut mounting brackets on recent builds in a way that doesn’t work with the Hansshow kit.

I messaged their customer support today but they haven’t offered any suggestions yet. If they tell me to start drilling holes in the mounting brackets I’m going to tell them to send me replacement struts or mounting brackets that work or give me a refund. I only bought the kit because it can be installed and removed without making any permanent alterations.

My kit has the same issue, the struts don’t have the same travel as the factory struts and prevent the hood from closing fully. Car is a 2019-07 build. I suspect Tesla may have changed the hood strut mounting brackets on recent builds in a way that doesn’t work with the Hansshow kit.

I messaged their customer support today but they haven’t offered any suggestions yet. If they tell me to start drilling holes in the mounting brackets I’m going to tell them to send me replacement struts or mounting brackets that work or give me a refund. I only bought the kit because it can be installed and removed without making any permanent alterations.

Are you talking to them in China? Keep in mind the time difference, so our daytime is their nighttime.

I believe they have a US contact. You may want to ask @OmegaZ about this.

I finally figured it out and posting in case it will help someone else. My kit came with the white wire cut on both harness ends - the side that plugs into the main control unit and the side that plugs into the motor control plug:
upload_2019-10-26_14-4-17.png

It appears no one else has it cut on the motor control plug end but everyone has it cut in the main control unit end (where you have to pull the sleeve up to see it actually cut).

No video instructions or written had a setup like mine where it was cut at the motor control plug so I didn't know I had to connect it (I assumed if it was cut on the other end, what's the point of connecting it here). Speaking w/ Hans, he told me I had to connect it. Since my setup seemed unique, I assumed I had to connect it on the main control unit end - right? What's the point of connecting it here only to have a break in the line on the other end - DEAD Wrong. The minute I re-disrupted that white wire connection at the control unit end, voila - the kick sensor worked.

Go figure!

I finally figured it out and posting in case it will help someone else. My kit came with the white wire cut on both harness ends - the side that plugs into the main control unit and the side that plugs into the motor control plug:
View attachment 470230

It appears no one else has it cut on the motor control plug end but everyone has it cut in the main control unit end (where you have to pull the sleeve up to see it actually cut).

No video instructions or written had a setup like mine where it was cut at the motor control plug so I didn't know I had to connect it (I assumed if it was cut on the other end, what's the point of connecting it here). Speaking w/ Hans, he told me I had to connect it. Since my setup seemed unique, I assumed I had to connect it on the main control unit end - right? What's the point of connecting it here only to have a break in the line on the other end - DEAD Wrong. The minute I re-disrupted that white wire connection at the control unit end, voila - the kick sensor worked.

Go figure!

FYI - troubleshooting took me as long as the entire install did - so I paid dearly and hoping it can save someone some time if their kit is like mine.

Shaky memory - maybe I didn't connect the bottom one and decided to do it when I was tidying things up. Man the amount of combinations I tried. I swear I did hours of troubleshooting :(

This was the biggest project I've done on the car (other one was painfully installing a carbon fiber panel to cover the dash trim). Feels rewarding. Now what?

I didn't get the frunk because the extra $400 wasn't worth the 2 times I've used it in the year I've owned the car.

Shaky memory - maybe I didn't connect the bottom one and decided to do it when I was tidying things up. Man the amount of combinations I tried. I swear I did hours of troubleshooting :(

This was the biggest project I've done on the car (other one was painfully installing a carbon fiber panel to cover the dash trim). Feels rewarding. Now what?

I didn't get the frunk because the extra $400 wasn't worth the 2 times I've used it in the year I've owned the car.
On the contrary, you’ll use it all the time with that kit. I LOVE the frunk kit. LOVE!!!

Love love love.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65 and OmegaZ
Are you talking to them in China? Keep in mind the time difference, so our daytime is their nighttime.

I believe they have a US contact. You may want to ask @OmegaZ about this.

Yes, I have been talking to them in China via WhatsApp, I’m not in the US, but I don’t expect them to work weekends either so I wasn’t expecting anything from them yet.

I just wanted to confirm with others here that there is an issue with the frunk kit on some cars that has no verified solution yet.

To all those that have problems with the struts and the closing of the frunk, would you please indicate the build date of your car and whether it is a US, European or Asian market vehicle.

I wonder whether the issue is related to defective struts or to a design change by Tesla. Tesla is well known to make changes to their cars on a continuous basis. I suspect that the problem some people have is due to a production change by Tesla. Alternatively, maybe there are differences based upon the market the car is shipped to.

To all those that have problems with the struts and the closing of the frunk, would you please indicate the build date of your car and whether it is a US, European or Asian market vehicle.

I wonder whether the issue is related to defective struts or to a design change by Tesla. Tesla is well known to make changes to their cars on a continuous basis. I suspect that the problem some people have is due to a production change by Tesla. Alternatively, maybe there are differences based upon the market the car is shipped to.

Canada. Build date would be the beginning of Sept 2019.

If anyone needs any help in SE PA, let me know. I got pretty good at it after doing frunk/trunk/foot.

I can tell the company to contact you to put you as a certified installer on their website. Future buyers will look for you for installation. Does it sound okay? Could you send me your name, your email, and your location (with zipcode) again? The company is in the process of making an "Installer Locations" on their website.

Reactions: William_Chan

My build was 7/19 and in the US. The struts seem to be just a tad too long so frunk won’t close. I hope hansshow offers a solution soon.

2019-07 - Australia

Likely cause is Tesla have revised the strut mount brackets causing the powered struts to run out of travel.