Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My kit shipped from Singapore, the declared value to customs was $60 (sorry had to put it out there I was furious with the margins) - shipped within a week of ordering with DHL and received 3 days after. They were very responsive on WhatsApp. versions after 11/27 are the v3 version (or v2 maybe can't remember) which accurately shows the status of the trunk.

where did you order these from? can you please share the link?

Reactions: SSF3
You can argue that, but it's wrong. I assume you've never ordered from Alibaba or aliexpress before? Under reporting the actual value to avoid customs charges is standard practice for many companies in Asia.

That is not the point and you are correct but trade laws don’t dictate that the custom declaration value must be the price the consumer pays for, it can be the cost to replace in case of loss.

The new version soft-close motor only need 1 plug, it can help you do the connection better.

I watched the Frugal Tesla Guy’s video for the frunk install. Two things seemed to be slightly different.

Maybe my July 2018 build, RWD LR, is slightly different, but the place the video showed him placing the motor module was way too tight to try to fit under the horn. I was worried the frunk liner might have a problem going back but it didn’t. Turned out I just stuck in higher up, near the same position like the video.

The second thing I noticed from the video is that after putting the liner back after install, the frunk wouldn’t latch on correctly. They removed the liner again to adjust the bolts and nuts to adjust the mechanism. Then the video cuts out and it’s done. I followed the same procedure, but after getting the right positioning to work and reinstalling the frunk liner, it was misaligned again! So the take away from my experience is that you do NOT need to remove the liner to adjust the mechanism. Both bolts and the two cable nuts are accessible after the liner is back on, so this would’ve saved me some time. Even after having the mechanism adjusted correctly and several times manipulating the open and closing of the frunk, the nuts on the cable needed to be adjusted a few times to get the proper setting for it to latch onto the frunk lid. Like William’s comment here, there is only one grey connector that is used for the soft close feature.

Frunk done ... now for the trunk.
Just to be clear William, the newest version only requires 1 cable for the trunk button to go up the black tube from the trunk to the trunk lid?

Just tried installing this new version. It seems there is only one wire that needs be fished up the trunk. There are liftgate signal and liftgate light wires that I have no idea where to attach to. It seems like the new instructions require additional trim in the backrow to be removed. The trim in the upper sides seem to be reserved for airbags and that freaked me out when I attempted to remove them. I don't see this covered in any installation videos. I think I'm out of this install.

Which leads to my question. Is there any contact information to the local installer in orange county? Or are there any installers in the San Bernardino area?

Just tried installing this new version. It seems there is only one wire that needs be fished up the trunk. There are liftgate signal and liftgate light wires that I have no idea where to attach to. It seems like the new instructions require additional trim in the backrow to be removed. The trim in the upper sides seem to be reserved for airbags and that freaked me out when I attempted to remove them. I don't see this covered in any installation videos. I think I'm out of this install.

Which leads to my question. Is there any contact information to the local installer in orange county? Or are there any installers in the San Bernardino area?

Just asked for a quote on installation. Version 3 of the power lift gate is supposedly a more difficult install. Price for installation is higher on the new version. I hope someone can post a guide on how to remove the rear trims.