Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guiding brackets for quick connection phone dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Model X a month ago with the phone dock pre-installed. I just saw in the Tesla Shop that it's supposed to have guiding brackets. Mine did not come with these brackets, so getting the phone in is hit or miss.

Any ideas if this is a miss or does Tesla not provide guiding brackets on factory installs of the dock? I have an iPhone 7 for what it's worth.

The dock comes with a microSD cable, lightning cable, and 4 guiding brackets. They usually ask you which phone you have so that they can install the cable and the brackets for you. I don't have a picture of them on hand, but during the intro to my video, you can see them clearly as I dock my phone. The guiding brackets are those tall skinny rectangles touching each side of my phone.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: thewoz and hiroshiy
Thanks everyone for the information about the guiding brackets. I have the PUP, but no other accessories were left in the car. They just installed the connector. I guess this is consistent with not leaving license plate frames with the car. It was pretty hectic at the SC as they were moving a bunch of cars out on the last day of quarter, but still ...

Thanks everyone for the information about the guiding brackets. I have the PUP, but no other accessories were left in the car. They just installed the connector. I guess this is consistent with not leaving license plate frames with the car. It was pretty hectic at the SC as they were moving a bunch of cars out on the last day of quarter, but still ...
That kind of delivery by the SC is inexcusable.
Drop by and demand they make it right while you wait (or make an appointment if you have any other issues for them to correct).

Edit: clarification

I'm sure they forgot to leave the parts in the car. Just pop by and mention it to them. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

No package left with the car. I will ask my delivery advisor.
Same, took Delivery at the new Delivery center, and no PUP brackets or anything.

They just automatically installed a lightning connector for my phone, I didn't even get the spare parts.
Someone from my local SC quietly stole an android cable from one of the loaners, but no brackets. Probably should ask for them when I take my car in to fix some other issues.

I plan to pickup the brackets (and license plate frames) when I have them install my plates.
The SC should install the cable and brackets for your particular phone, just as they did for me when my Model X was delivered.

I understand that they are gearing up for a huge volume of Model 3 deliveries and need to streamline the process, but Tesla needs to understand that the Model S and Model X are their premium vehicles and deserve a premium delivery.

They installed the lightning connector for my phone, but nothing to guide it in to the connection. Is this something new? Docking my phone is always a major pain the butt. At night it's virtually impossible.

I have this exact same issue in my car. When I took delivery last year, I didn't realize this was something to keep in mind or ask them to do. They only installed the lightning cable for my iPhone, but not the guides. I just took my vehicle in for it's annual service, and when I asked about the guides, the service tech looked at me with a blank stare and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I will try asking again the next time I'm at the Service Center...and also check my glove box to see if they left the guides in there.

Well slap my face and call me a bitch... They installed the lightning connector in mine too (and no guides). I vaguely recall the tech mentioning something about iPhone with a sleeve. Checked the little box that the kit came in, and sure enough sure, guides galore. Popped the correct ones in place and adjusted the position of the lightning connector and now the dock works gloriously!

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Well slap my face and call me a bitch... They installed the lightning connector in mine too (and no guides). I vaguely recall the tech mentioning something about iPhone with a sleeve. Checked the little box that the kit came in, and sure enough sure, guides galore. Popped the correct ones in place and adjusted the position of the lightning connector and now the dock works gloriously!
I got the guides now from service but the position of the lightning connector is off. How do you adjust the position of the lightning connector?