Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a car accident on Thursday afternoon and still haven't heard back from Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I had a pretty bad car accident last Thursday on the freeway. Basically a pickup in front of me changed lane very abruptly and left me the pleasure to discover a car at a complete stop (whereas the traffic was great, I don't understand why it was stopped). Of course I was going at 65, and had 10 feet to brake. I exploded the car at full speed, airbags went off, and the car started catching on fire (I had one portable battery in the frunk, probably from that).

Anyway, the Tesla recorded it all (I would show the video here but since insurance hasn't seen it yet I'm not sure it's a good idea?). There's nothing I could have done.

My Tesla was on a lease, I just got it 3 months ago. I called insurance (Tesla Insurance) on Friday morning, filed a claim, they told me they were going to call me back within 24 to 48h business hours, but we are Tuesday afternoon and still nothing. I called the assistance number back, they gave me the phone number of the supposedly person in charge but she doesn't respond.

It's quite stressful for me, I still have to show them video and pictures. Does anyone ever had to go through them and what should I do? Just wait? The car is totaled and sitting in a junkyard, it's additional fee every single day.

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
Hey Cerealzealot, Sorry to hear about your accident. We hope you get back behind the wheel of a a Tesla in no time. It is better not to post the video publicly as that might invalidate it as evidence. Call (again) and ask to speak to their claims adjusters, that usually helps.

Hi all,

So I had a pretty bad car accident last Thursday on the freeway. Basically a pickup in front of me changed lane very abruptly and left me the pleasure to discover a car at a complete stop (whereas the traffic was great, I don't understand why it was stopped). Of course I was going at 65, and had 10 feet to brake. I exploded the car at full speed, airbags went off, and the car started catching on fire (I had one portable battery in the frunk, probably from that).

Anyway, the Tesla recorded it all (I would show the video here but since insurance hasn't seen it yet I'm not sure it's a good idea?). There's nothing I could have done.

My Tesla was on a lease, I just got it 3 months ago. I called insurance (Tesla Insurance) on Friday morning, filed a claim, they told me they were going to call me back within 24 to 48h business hours, but we are Tuesday afternoon and still nothing. I called the assistance number back, they gave me the phone number of the supposedly person in charge but she doesn't respond.

It's quite stressful for me, I still have to show them video and pictures. Does anyone ever had to go through them and what should I do? Just wait? The car is totaled and sitting in a junkyard, it's additional fee every single day.
I'm so sorry to hear this. That totally sucks, super stressful. I agree with someone else who mentioned not posting the video.

I'm in Canada but my understanding is the when you run into someone, you're at fault. I hope the dash cam footage of the truck moving at the last minute changes that for you though. If you're not at fault, do you still have to pay for the junkyard fee or would the insurance cover that? I'm also not familiar with leasing so my comments may be completely useless. So sorry that happened.

Posting history is 1) Insurance is crazy expensive 2) I backed into a car 3) I hit a stopped car. At age 25 with that record it may be time to buy an inexpensive car or just Uber. Keep a clean record and buy a Tesla at age 30.
You don't know him, he could have had a string of bad luck. Even if your judgement is true.. how is your comment helpful?

BTW, I think in the future, if everyone drove a tesla, or another type of vehicle that detects collision issues ahead, less incidents like his would happen. Take away a large portion of human error (like the truck in front of him not noticing a stopped car until the last second) and we'd not be having this many discussions on the topic.