Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$hadow file and the China Positioner

Would you care?

• Give my data freely away to CCP who doesn't play by the rules?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am concerned and Tesla needs to inform customers.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively new here. There's a certain file in each Tesla vehicle that contains passwords that give total access to your car. Given the high stakes positions the two greatest world powers hold against one another, would you care if that file contained an entry "chinapositioner" with a specific port reference? Same as spotify, nvidia, etc.

After watching this interview and seeing what's at stake, I feel concerned. Especially how I have no control over what goes through my car's LTE connection.

Full disclosure: I do sell tinfoil hats....

Are all Americans frightened? So tiresome. That is one wracked-up poll.

Do yourself a favor and learn to recognize propaganda. Get your news from the same source that intelligence agencies do.

The chinapositioner user has a !. (disabled) And its shell is /bin/false. So it's not a user name and it's not possible to log in with it, and even a daemon can't use it as-is.

Sure there's chinapositioner code but that's because Tesla deploys the same code worldwide, and the PRC requires a GPS tracker in the car for surveillance of its citizens. But the code is simply not enabled unless you’re within the region, and it is incompatible with our GPS.

If you want something to worry about, the microphone is on all the time. That would put a dent in my Blood and Honour music but they have no access to my car.

Last edited: