Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to keep the door handles out today ? I haven't found it. The handles need washing and dying too. I really hate chrome, and I really really hate leaving it wet as I've seen it bubble from items so many many times.

Regardless of motive I suggest a Hand Wash Mode setting for Model S that presents all door handles until deactivated.

This should also leave the stereo on. Right now I am using Parking Brake (just tapping the brake pedal or tapping the display also turns Model S on but I think it might turn itself off eventually that way).

And perhaps it could also bring the wipers up a bit, not as much as wiper service mode ? Just so we can clean in and around without so much fear of tapping the arms to the hood.

Thoughts, comments ? Other things this mode could do ?

Thanks much folks for the open-a-door trick, I will have to use that from now on at least for drying... maybe even for careful washing.

I keep the fob on me and just press the handle when needed to wash, dry or polish. No biggie.
Hi msnow, yes, you can also press on a handle when it's unlocked. I'm trying to prevent harmful door handle wear. Especially in this worst possible moment as soapy water has a far better chance to get where it shouldn't in a waterproofed module.

Logic would dictate that we should never have a motorized waterproofed item be in motion while in contact with sudsy water. Unless you want to wash it inside... I'm not saying I know how the mechanism is waterproofed or even what Tesla's stance is on washing and handles, if any. But I'm growing concerned as handles are being swapped out at a rapid pace it seems.

I actually do the exact opposite. I think that if they are extended, there is more opportunity for water to get into the mechanism.

I turn off my auto present whenever I wash the car. After blowing and drying her, I then extend the handles to wipe the interior of them. I think this is the least invasive way to clean them. It's worked fine so far.