Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handles work OK but all 4 LEDs are out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All my door LEDs have gone out and they all seem to failed in fairly rapid succession, though I can't say I noticed specifically when each one failed. The SC says they're all burnt out and there isn't one failure point that would make them all go at once. Those LEDs should outlast the vehicle so I'm astonished that they're all gone. Assuming they are all burnt out, they have to have been driven beyond operating specs. This all happened before the 2 years of service mark but out of warranty due to mileage.

I haven't found anyone else reporting this issue. Am I the outlier here?

It's too much labour to replace such a small part, especially if they are overdriven and will fail again soon. Has anyone had any experience with self-servicing those LEDs? I could replace them with higher rated LEDs as time permits but would appreciate any pointers in servicing those handles.

All my door LEDs have gone out and they all seem to failed in fairly rapid succession, though I can't say I noticed specifically when each one failed. The SC says they're all burnt out and there isn't one failure point that would make them all go at once. Those LEDs should outlast the vehicle so I'm astonished that they're all gone. Assuming they are all burnt out, they have to have been driven beyond operating specs. This all happened before the 2 years of service mark but out of warranty due to mileage.

I haven't found anyone else reporting this issue. Am I the outlier here?

It's too much labour to replace such a small part, especially if they are overdriven and will fail again soon. Has anyone had any experience with self-servicing those LEDs? I could replace them with higher rated LEDs as time permits but would appreciate any pointers in servicing those handles.

@exborg,

Are you telling us it's too much labor to replace the LEDs or is that being said by a Tesla SC?

Ski

Very odd. More likely a software issue. Recalibrating all modules at the SC might do the trick.

Know what else is odd? On this forum, "door handles" are explicitly mentioned as a topical area of interest to be discussed in "User Interface" sub-forum. Not the "interior / exterior" sub-forum. ..when you consider doors are the epitome of transition between interior and exterior I feel they smack dab belong in this sub-forum, so good on you.

Warranty is warranty... get 'em done if you're covered.

If you're off warranty, service yourself.. I posted a thread "fix your door..." (over in "User Interface) for people when their door handle microswitches break. The video I posted covers the LED wires!

You might just might be able to test the theory of replacing the LEDs on a front door by taking the plastic backing sheet off the handle mechanism on a front door, while the handle is still bolted in place on the car.. depends on the access hole and your dexterity. If not, 4 bolts and it's out.

There's a 2-pin connector and wire pair (yellow and black, if I recall..).. undo the connector and stick a 5mm LED in there and do some door extends / presents. See if it lights up. Reverse the pins and stick it in the other way... it will only work inserted one way or the other because LEDs are polarized. But you probably knew that.

If you get it working.. consider changing the LED color to suit you liking and get ultra-brights.

Last edited:
Very odd. More likely a software issue. Recalibrating all modules at the SC might do the trick.
If you're off warranty, service yourself.. I posted a thread "fix your door..." (over in "User Interface) for people when their door handle microswitches break. The video I posted covers the LED wires!

You might just might be able to test the theory of replacing the LEDs on a front door by taking the plastic backing sheet off the handle mechanism on a front door, while the handle is still bolted in place on the car.. depends on the access hole and your dexterity. If not, 4 bolts and it's out.

Great video, thanks! That builds confidence that I'm not going to go in there and wind up breaking something. I'm incredulous that all of them would go so soon, so I am eager to test that theory. If they do need replacement then I'll check the drive current, assuming there is any, and replace with upgraded chips. Hmmm, maybe auto-fading RGBs - everything goes with white, right? But all four would have to be in sync .. except maybe at Xmas time ... ;)

I will report back when I've accessed the first one.