Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Got these installed yesterday.

I realize they are new tires so they should of course feel better than older tires, but they are still much better than the stock Conti's for sure.

I usually listen to music while driving so road noise is virtually non existent now. With no music on, the noise is more of like a "hum" that is less perceptible than before. The tires def absorb bumps in the road better, as we know Tesla's have hard suspension already. I'll report back on Wh/mile later, as you need a large sample size of miles to compare.

There is no diamond pattern on the sidewalls also.

Update: Got these installed yesterday.

I realize they are new tires so they should of course feel better than older tires, but they are still much better than the stock Conti's for sure.

I usually listen to music while driving so road noise is virtually non existent now. With no music on, the noise is more of like a "hum" that is less perceptible than before. The tires def absorb bumps in the road better, as we know Tesla's have hard suspension already. I'll report back on Wh/mile later, as you need a large sample size of miles to compare.

There is no diamond pattern on the sidewalls also.
Keep us updated on the noise levels! I just bought a set for the Model S 85 and looking to have a comfortable and quiet ride with these. I’ll have them installed in 2-3 weeks but look forward to your thoughts!

Keep us updated on the noise levels! I just bought a set for the Model S 85 and looking to have a comfortable and quiet ride with these. I’ll have them installed in 2-3 weeks but look forward to your thoughts!
I'm going into the office tomorrow (~25 miles of interstate), so I will report back in the morning. Just got AB also so it'll be a spirited drive 😎

Reactions: canasion35
Jeremy3292: I know you already know this, but posting info about a tire in the first 1k of its installation isn't going to be very useful/accurate. I sorta/kinda wish you'd wait for 3-5k miles before posting. ;)

...but that's just me. I fully understand your enthusiasm for the new tire, and am hoping you've found a serious contender.

FYI, my own recent tire experience with Michelin CC2s, on my 2019 Avalon and my 2021 MYLR, started out with excitement, as the CC2s were smoother/softer than the Avalon OEM Bridgestones and the Tesla OEM ContiProContacts. MUCH SMOOTHER, grippier, responsive. Of course, efficiency was down on both vehicles. I was thrilled with them.

After 2k miles, including 1200 m. road trip in the Avalon, FWTX to Winchester VA, on ribbon smooth asphalt much of it, the road hum (like a lugged snow tire) drove me NUTS! Ditto on the Tesla. They were just too noisy to live in the DFW region, with miles and miles of exposed aggregate concrete. Since we just don't need aggressive snow treads in TX, I just wasn't happy. I tried varying PSI, couldn't fix the road noise.

Discount Tire/Michelin swapped them out for Michelin PilotSport 4S, and I'm still very happy with the PS4S tires. They have 37k miles on the Avalon, 16k on the Tesla.

Had a great drive into the office this morning - loving these tires so far! The road noise is very quiet even when traveling 80 mph on the interstate. I almost feel as though I should hear something but my ears just can't perceive it (e.g. the frequency), which I think is the idea with these EV tires.

I am very pleased with my purchase especially at $210 per tire. I was going to get the Pirelli ELECT's before I found these Hankook's for ~$250 less. They are still shown as "discontinued" on Discount Tire's website and also at $267 a tire, which is the same cost as the Pirelli's.

Jeremy3292: I know you already know this, but posting info about a tire in the first 1k of its installation isn't going to be very useful/accurate. I sorta/kinda wish you'd wait for 3-5k miles before posting. ;)

...but that's just me. I fully understand your enthusiasm for the new tire, and am hoping you've found a serious contender.

FYI, my own recent tire experience with Michelin CC2s, on my 2019 Avalon and my 2021 MYLR, started out with excitement, as the CC2s were smoother/softer than the Avalon OEM Bridgestones and the Tesla OEM ContiProContacts. MUCH SMOOTHER, grippier, responsive. Of course, efficiency was down on both vehicles. I was thrilled with them.
I understand what you are saying and you're not wrong. However, you can't really return tires after you've had them for 5k, 10k, or more miles. So you really are limited to the first 1,000 miles or so of driving to determine if you like the tires or not.

I read a lot of awful reviews about the CC2's on EV's, so I'm not surprised by your review on those. They aren't an EV tire and are more of a tire for northern climates. I personally feel a lot better about having an EV dedicated tire as EV's have different requirements that ICE vehicles. That doesn't mean you can't use PS4's on an EV - lots of people love that tire and it has great reviews. It was the main recommendation for a lot of people a year or two ago before companies started making dedicated EV tires. I likely would have ended up with those myself if I needed tires then. For me it's just peace of mind knowing that I am driving a tire designed for my vehicle and that it should be an overall good tire for my EV.

I will certainly report back over the coming months as I'll have a large sample size to determine things like Wh/mile comparisons.

I think it will highly depend on what region of the world you are in. OEMs also generally have all sorts of tires available. In that same video, it looks like the 18” rims have Michelins on them.
+1. 18" has Michelin on them in the video, but the 18" clip may be from a pre-refresh car.

Also, the 19" one seems to be a summer tire. At 1:20 mark, you can see the trend life rating being 340 and traction being AA. All season version should be around 500 and traction A.

The Brave search summarizer reported that the ION EVO AS is discontinued as of Sept 2. I couldn't trace the source, and didn't see any mentions on the Hankook site. But AmericasTire shows it as discontinued Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person, as with the VENTUS S1 EVO2 K117A -- they were available a day or two ago. Bard.google.com indicates that there's an ION EVO2 AS coming up, and that it's an improved version (treadware, etc)

So I put mine on the S as well in June as mentioned earlier in this thread.

A few observations after 12k in miles.

Continued sound reduction. Didn't go away after new.

About 5% better energy usage than my Michelin MXV4 S8.

Grooved pavement is an issue. Doesn't bother me. If it is a large % of ones drive it may you.

Wear was almost none existent when measured at Discount Tire. You know when they go measure when you bring it in. Just wanted as a reference point.

Overall very happy. I don't drive track or anything like that. Was surprised I got better overall reduction in energy reduction from the S over the 3. Even did some long drives 500 or more in both cars same route similar conditions...

About the last couple months. Couple cross country drives east west, and north south. Dirt roads, mountains, pouring rain.
I go pretty fast as you can see by the warning attached from Colorado State Trooper. Kind of helps when you don't pass them🤠
PXL_20230829_214542037.jpg

PXL_20230620_143656878.MP~2.jpg

So I put mine on the S as well in June as mentioned earlier in this thread.

A few observations after 12k in miles.

Continued sound reduction. Didn't go away after new.

About 5% better energy usage than my Michelin MXV4 S8.

Grooved pavement is an issue. Doesn't bother me. If it is a large % of ones drive it may you.

Wear was almost none existent when measured at Discount Tire. You know when they go measure when you bring it in. Just wanted as a reference point.

Overall very happy. I don't drive track or anything like that. Was surprised I got better overall reduction in energy reduction from the S over the 3. Even did some long drives 500 or more in both cars same route similar conditions...

About the last couple months. Couple cross country drives east west, and north south. Dirt roads, mountains, pouring rain.
I go pretty fast as you can see by the warning attached from Colorado State Trooper. Kind of helps when you don't pass them🤠View attachment 970919
View attachment 970920
Could you clarify, grooved across the road or parallel is not great? I encounter some of both.

Reactions: beachmiles
Could you clarify, grooved across the road or parallel is not great? I encounter some of both.
Sorry parallel. On AP you don't notice much, but hand held noticable. The shimmy as the car follows the slight change in the grooves.

I would suspect many tires that have the direction of tread design would give the user a similar experience.

Reactions: ss71
Update - spoke with Hankook customer service and they confirmed this tire is NOT discontinued and they have ample inventory across their distribution centers. I'm thinking this must be an input error on our end. I'll get this into the hands of our web team for additional review.

My apologies for the confusion surrounding this and again, appreciate you calling this to our attention!
@Discount Tire Can you please provide an update? Thanks

Agreed. Parallel grooves? "Tramlining" occurs, trying to follow the grooves. Grooved across the road? All tires will have a resonant hum, with infinite variables.
Exposed aggregate? THUNDEROUS on all the tires I've tried...
Yes, I am not sure that anything much can be done from a tire perspective to address these issues. It is just a basic reality of driving on those forms of pavement.

Reactions: Pianewman