Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have 2.5 months & almost 5k miles on these tires I can report that there is a definite efficiency improvement over the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II that we had before. One of our trip meters is reset monthly & I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked our monthly mileage for the last few years. Our efficiency in July & August 2023 was about 5% better than in July & August 2022 with the Pirellis. In July 2022 we averaged 272 Wh/mi i 1750 miles and in August 2022 it was 271 Wh/mi in 1680 miles. In July 2023 we did 259 Wh/mi in 1840 miles & in August 2023 we averaged 255 Wh/mi in 1915 miles.

@Discount Tire Can you please provide an update? Thanks

Hmm, not sure what the issue is; everything is looking good from my end on both the Discount Tire and America's Tire sites. May I ask what zip code you're using for search?

I'll reach out to our marketing team again, but as of now we are not aware of successor to the iON evo AS.

1693923801324.png

1693923985263.png

Hmm, not sure what the issue is; everything is looking good from my end on both the Discount Tire and America's Tire sites. May I ask what zip code you're using for search?

I'll reach out to our marketing team again, but as of now we are not aware of successor to the iON evo AS.

View attachment 971178

View attachment 971179
Still showing discontinued for me - 29607

Now that we have 2.5 months & almost 5k miles on these tires I can report that there is a definite efficiency improvement over the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II that we had before. One of our trip meters is reset monthly & I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked our monthly mileage for the last few years. Our efficiency in July & August 2023 was about 5% better than in July & August 2022 with the Pirellis. In July 2022 we averaged 272 Wh/mi i 1750 miles and in August 2022 it was 271 Wh/mi in 1680 miles. In July 2023 we did 259 Wh/mi in 1840 miles & in August 2023 we averaged 255 Wh/mi in 1915 miles.
Almost always the same tire when new will have lower efficiency than the same tire worn (as higher tread blocks move more during load, dissipating energy). So a new iON having better efficiency than an older tire, particularly a low rolling resistance tire, is an impressive achievement.

I just saw on SimpleTire that in the USA the summer version (coded IK01, not IH01) is available for the 18" wheels.

Unfortunately, it has no mileage warranty and tread starts at 8.5/32" vs 10/32" in the all seasons.

On the upside this is the tire that beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in most categories in a German test.

Update:

1,000 miles on the Hankooks at 253 Wh/mi. My previous lifetime for 40k+ miles was 263 Wh/mi. Seems to be a marketed improvement. This 1,000 miles included many highway miles at speeds of 80 mph, so it's not just me poking around the town slowly and getting good efficiency. Will need more miles in winter to know for sure, but this seems like a good start.

Switched to Hankook Ion Evo AS tires (have over 5,600 miles on them now). Before I had the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and was happy with everything on them, but can tell that the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires are much quieter and more efficient by about 8% so far. My CrossClimate 2 tires were at about 38,400 miles and had enough tread to last closer to 50,000. I changed them out because my treadwear was uneven and one of the tires had a big pucture that was too close to the edge of the tread and the patch leaked a little bit of air over time. I do recommend the CrossClimate 2s if you want the tires to last a long time and great traction in mud and rain (never tested in snow). I will see how the Hankook Ion Evo AS tread lasts.

I've only used Michelin tires before because I like getting credit from the treadwear warranty, but none of my other tires have made it past 28k miles (I retire them when they get below 4/32nds). With my CrossClimate 2 tires, since the treadwear was too uneven side to side to take advantage of the treadwear warranty I decided to try the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires. Side note, I did get Tesla to do an alignment on my car to make sure there was no issues with that causing uneven tire wear, but I think the extended lifetime of the CrossClimate 2 tires compared to my other tires increased the tread wear differences.

Amazon and Walmart have the 255/45R19 (for Model Y) on sale for $237.
Anyone have experience installing new tire at Walmart? Or should I try price-match somewhere else
Thanks for the heads up on that. Discount tire actually matched and slightly beat that price for me, and lowered the install cost to match Walmart as well. Getting mine installed this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Discount tire actually matched and slightly beat that price for me, and lowered the install cost to match Walmart as well. Getting mine installed this weekend.
Same for me. D.Tire met the Walmart price of 237.07, 18 for balance and mounting and I got 50% off their Certificates so 114 for all 4 tires.

I am at about 3/32 on the OEM Conti Pro Contact RX after 19k miles on my MY. Not at all happy with that. Pretty tame driving, mix of freeway 22 mile roundtrips and some urban 16 mile roundtrips. Single driver so not a weighted down car, only 1- 1,110 freeway trip and maybe a half dozen 250 mile trips.

Reactions: Discount Tire
Same for me. D.Tire met the Walmart price of 237.07, 18 for balance and mounting and I got 50% off their Certificates so 114 for all 4 tires.

I am at about 3/32 on the OEM Conti Pro Contact RX after 19k miles on my MY. Not at all happy with that. Pretty tame driving, mix of freeway 22 mile roundtrips and some urban 16 mile roundtrips. Single driver so not a weighted down car, only 1- 1,110 freeway trip and maybe a half dozen 250 mile trips.
Many OEM tires intentionally have a lower tread depth so they can get better rated efficiency figures. I don't think it's a Tesla peculiar thing but they definitely do it. The MXM4 is notorious for that, and perhaps the same is true for the stock Continentals as well.

The Hankook iON EVO all seasons have a full 10/32" tread and a 50k mile warranty. Note that the almost identically named but otherwise different summer tire has a lower tread depth, and no mileage warranty---it probably wears out fast.

Thank you for the referrals @Cyberdelia | @atokad!

Amazon and Walmart have the 255/45R19 (for Model Y) on sale for $237.
Anyone have experience installing new tire at Walmart? Or should I try price-match somewhere else

As mentioned, we do extend a low price promise to all the tires and wheels we offer. Should you find a competitor with a cheaper advertised out the door price, we'll match it!

If you haven't already purchased, we'd love the opportunity to earn your business. You can submit a found it lower inquiry through our website, or we would be happy to facilitate that for you here on the forum by DM :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you for the referrals @Cyberdelia | @atokad!

As mentioned, we do extend a low price promise to all the tires and wheels we offer. Should you find a competitor with a cheaper advertised out the door price, we'll match it!

If you haven't already purchased, we'd love the opportunity to earn your business. You can submit a found it lower inquiry through our website, or we would be happy to facilitate that through you here on the forum by DM :cool:
I bought 4 of the Hankook iON EVO All season tires from Discount Tire last week. The price match was what initially got me to use Discount Tire. However, they did a great job installing them quickly and the price match was no hassle.

You definitely have earned my business. I have had a great experience every time I have used Discount Tire. I just wanted to say thanks for being part of a great company. I am a very satisfied customer.

• Love
Reactions: Discount Tire
Got my Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires installed yesterday at Discount Tire. As always, the guys did a great job.

I'm very impressed with the tires so far - great ride quality, lower cabin noise. I know comparing old vs new tires, the new tire will always ride smoother, but I feel like this is the quietest and smoothest my Y has ever been. Too early to tell if there are any efficiency improvements, but will be tracking that.

Got my Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires installed yesterday at Discount Tire. As always, the guys did a great job.

I'm very impressed with the tires so far - great ride quality, lower cabin noise. I know comparing old vs new tires, the new tire will always ride smoother, but I feel like this is the quietest and smoothest my Y has ever been. Too early to tell if there are any efficiency improvements, but will be tracking that.
What tire dimensions did you get?