Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rain and especially standing water is the single worst thing for efficiency. You can’t compare wet vs. dry at all. Wait till it stops raining and the efficiency gains will be apparent.
Front/side winds are up there, too. Combine that with water on the roads, and it's horrible!

Driving on the freeway yesterday from NorCal to SoCal and efficiency was 350 Wh/mi at the best and at times over 400 Wh/mi (granted, this was on CrossClimate 2s, not iON EVO AS).

Has anyone tried the summer version? I live in an area thats ~98% dry for the year and won't see snow. So I'm pondering in just getting the summer version for the better grip and better wet performance over the all season. I don't even drive enough any more that the extra tread depth and tread wear on the all seasons would make a difference. Seems to only be about ~$20 more per tire.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and enemji
Thank you for the tag @enemji!

We have an internal part number for this tire, which is 149218, however we are waiting on landing pages. This tire should be live on our website within the next month.

I checked stock with Hankook in the interim and this tire is available to us for order, today. Your local store should be able to get a set going whenever you're ready. Hope you don't mind me sending you a follow up DM.
Confirmed my store can order. Can't wait to install the summer version and provide feedback.

Looking forward to your personal reviews of the tire. We greatly appreciate any and all information we can obtain.

Maybe you can get Tire Rack to do a comparison (performance, comfort, and efficiency) between the Hankook ION EVO all season and summer, Pirelli PZero ELECT, Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1, Goodyear Electric Drive, Bridgestone Turanza EV, Sailun Erange, and other "EV" tires that are the subject of these tire threads.

Maybe you can get Tire Rack to do a comparison (performance, comfort, and efficiency) between the Hankook ION EVO all season and summer, Pirelli PZero ELECT, Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1, Goodyear Electric Drive, Bridgestone Turanza EV, Sailun Erange, and other "EV" tires that are the subject of these tire threads.
That's a great idea. Thank you for your input. We will send it to the powers that be and see if we can spark a conversation.

That's a great idea. Thank you for your input. We will send it to the powers that be and see if we can spark a conversation.

Its also well past time that the tire testing group adopt the rolling resistance measurement machines which are used in all the European tire reviews and now official government ratings. No reason to avoid adopting the exact methodology mandated by EU, except you can report the raw number and not just A,B,C,D.

It's critical for EV tires, the on-board Wh measurements are OK but dependent on many other things, and also cumbersome to measure because temperature (including battery temp) matters so much in EV efficiency it's difficult to make fully controlled tests. Its expensive to get multiple identical cars at exactly same state of charge and battery temperature and measure them all in the same outside ambient temperature. More likely there's just one car and they change tires, so I bet the later runs, with warmer battery and warmer ambient temperature will appear to perform better and that is mostly not from the tire.

OTOH, rolling resistance machines measure with 3 significant figures. Aerodynamics of tires specifically is very hard to measure differentially---the car & wheel govern almost all of aero anyway.

More and more people are going to look to tire reviews for EV tires, since the tradeoffs matter even more for EVs, and as a higher population of EVs recently sold start to need replacement tires. Your service & advisors should have concrete data to make informed recommendations beyond gut feeling to your customers. It would be brilliant customer service for some types to bring out quantitative charts (for the nerds who care) and help customers with the tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Just got the Hankook Ion Evo AS installed on the stock 19" wheels on my Model 3 at my local America's Tire (Discount Tire). This will be the 4th set of tires for my car.

Tread Depth new is 9/32. So far the tires are much quieter than my Michelin PSAS4 but those were practically bald. Efficiency seems really good off the bat so I'm excited to see how much more efficient it gets after the tires are broken in. I also noticed my tires don't have the diamond pattern on the sidewall so I'm not sure if this is how Hankook makes them now or if these were an early/initial release.
Follow up to my original post, I just replaced the Hankook Ion EVO AS on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Treadwear was at 2/32 in the rear and 3/32 in the front after 26,458 miles. I normally drive the car in chill mode and do lots of highway driving. Lifetime wh/mi for the tire was 226 wh/mi. I replaced the Hankook with the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect; I'll see if the P Zero's treadwear will last any longer. First initial impressions of the P Zero is that they are noticeably stiffer than the Ion Evo. It feels like going back to the Michelin PSAS4 that I previously had on the car before the Hankook.

Follow up to my original post, I just replaced the Hankook Ion EVO AS on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Treadwear was at 2/32 in the rear and 3/32 in the front after 26,458 miles. I normally drive the car in chill mode and do lots of highway driving.
That's disappointing and surprising for a low rolling resistance tire. Did you try to get any treadwear warranty? Hankook offers 50k on these.

Lifetime wh/mi for the tire was 226 wh/mi. I replaced the Hankook with the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect; I'll see if the P Zero's treadwear will last any longer. First initial impressions of the P Zero is that they are noticeably stiffer than the Ion Evo. It feels like going back to the Michelin PSAS4 that I previously had on the car before the Hankook.
Not unsurprising, the Pirelli are marketed as in the performance line, like Pilot Sport, vs grand-touring which is Hankook iON Evo.

Reactions: George702
That's disappointing and surprising for a low rolling resistance tire. Did you try to get any treadwear warranty? Hankook offers 50k on these.

Not unsurprising, the Pirelli are marketed as in the performance line, like Pilot Sport, vs grand-touring which is Hankook iON Evo.
Luckily, I did manage to get them warrantied. Had some issues at first but ended up getting credited.

Follow up to my original post, I just replaced the Hankook Ion EVO AS on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Treadwear was at 2/32 in the rear and 3/32 in the front after 26,458 miles. I normally drive the car in chill mode and do lots of highway driving. Michelin PSAS4 that I previously had on the car before the Hankook.
This is pretty unsettling. I have more mileage on my original summer Michelin PS 4S, driving the m3p like the performance model it is. I have 5-6/32 on mine. 80% highway/20% city. These Hankook were the ones I was looking at next.

Last edited:
Follow up to my original post, I just replaced the Hankook Ion EVO AS on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Treadwear was at 2/32 in the rear and 3/32 in the front after 26,458 miles. I normally drive the car in chill mode and do lots of highway driving. Lifetime wh/mi for the tire was 226 wh/mi. I replaced the Hankook with the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect; I'll see if the P Zero's treadwear will last any longer. First initial impressions of the P Zero is that they are noticeably stiffer than the Ion Evo. It feels like going back to the Michelin PSAS4 that I previously had on the car before the Hankook.
Yeah, the Hankook's aren't very stiff. I noticed that my aftermarket aero wheel covers rub slightly against the Hankook's. That didn't happen with the Michelin's.

and you were able to use that credit on a non-Hankook tire? How did that work?
I think this was a special case for me. The tire shop told me the Ion Evo did not come with a warranty which resulted me in buying the Pirelli. I did think to myself it was odd of me to originally buy tires without a warranty so I went home and found my original receipt. The receipt clearly said 50k mileage warranty yet the tire shop's system showed 0 with the part number that was on my receipt. My guess is that I had a very early production version of the Ion Evo and maybe not all of the information had been plugged into their system at the time? But I'm honestly not quite sure.

I went back to the tire shop the next week and showed them my original receipt stating the 50k warranty. Luckily the manager honored it and manually credited me back the amount. Normally, the shop is supposed to tag your tires after completing the warranty so they can be sent back to the manufacturer for evaluation but my old tires were long gone at this point.

TLDR Keep your receipts folks!

I think this was a special case for me. The tire shop told me the Ion Evo did not come with a warranty which resulted me in buying the Pirelli. I did think to myself it was odd of me to originally buy tires without a warranty so I went home and found my original receipt. The receipt clearly said 50k mileage warranty yet the tire shop's system showed 0 with the part number that was on my receipt. My guess is that I had a very early production version of the Ion Evo and maybe not all of the information had been plugged into their system at the time? But I'm honestly not quite sure.

I went back to the tire shop the next week and showed them my original receipt stating the 50k warranty. Luckily the manager honored it and manually credited me back the amount. Normally, the shop is supposed to tag your tires after completing the warranty so they can be sent back to the manufacturer for evaluation but my old tires were long gone at this point.

Another way to look at it is to be sure you have a good relationship with your vendor.

I also was able to get one brand of tires (Michelin Primacy AS) replaced with another brand (Hankook) in a warranty situation. Michelin's credit went to the tire store, and the tire store applied the credit to cover the purchase of the Hankook ION EVO AS tires I wanted as replacements.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrChaos and TM3KT
I have also had great experiences with Discount Tire applying one manufacturer's warranty credit to tires from another manufacturer. I got credit for Michelin Primacy MXM4s which was used to purchase Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II. Those tires were awful & lasted only 25k miles out of a 70k tread warranty so I got a great credit that largely paid for the cost of the Hankook ION evo AS.

That's cool but a different question.

I had read that tire warranties give you credit that can only be used to purchase a new tire from the same manufacturing group. So apparently you got cash from Hankook to buy Pirelli which is non-standard, or somehow the shop managed to make that happen, was there anything special there?

official Hankook warranty:

page 9
Customer may exchange 1 ~ 4 tires from the set, for an
equivalent number of the same tire or a different Hankook
produced tire.

I never used a tire mileage warranty as I had no idea they existed until fairly recently. The tires I really needed a warranty on (BMW i3 micro donuts) had none, and they failed, went flat or wore out exceptionally quickly.

Last edited:
That's cool but a different question.

I had read that tire warranties give you credit that can only be used to purchase a new tire from the same manufacturing group. So apparently you got cash from Hankook to buy Pirelli which is non-standard, or somehow the shop managed to make that happen, was there anything special there?

official Hankook warranty:

page 9

I never used a tire mileage warranty as I had no idea they existed until fairly recently. The tires I really needed a warranty on (BMW i3 micro donuts) had none, and they failed, went flat or wore out exceptionally quickly.
Perhaps the official @Discount Tire account can help us understand how Discount Tire handles these warranty claims when customers are buying a tire from another manufacturer. I've done it twice & they've applied the credit for me.

Perhaps the official @Discount Tire account can help us understand how Discount Tire handles these warranty claims when customers are buying a tire from another manufacturer. I've done it twice & they've applied the credit for me.
Discount Tire/America's Tire gives the autonomy to its customers to have credit applied to any tire brand they choose. Customers are not required to stay within the same brand or sub type tire. Here is a helpful LINK to tire warranties. Thank you for your recognition.