Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow F9 9 inch display with camera and air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the screen. The trickiest part for me was getting the camera wire through the rubber grommet. These youtube videos make the part sound easy but that took the max time. And while taking all these panels off is not that hard, putting them back on is not easy! They never show that in the videos :). Anyways, the screen is now installed and initial thoughts are quite positive. This idea of - "you will get used to looking at the main screen for speed", just sounded like a "compromise". I mean, if that was the case, why have them in Model S and X.

One quick question - how do I get the latest firmware? I dont seem to find that on Hansshow's site. Does anyone know their "WhatsApp" number?

Just installed the screen. The trickiest part for me was getting the camera wire through the rubber grommet. These youtube videos make the part sound easy but that took the max time. And while taking all these panels off is not that hard, putting them back on is not easy! They never show that in the videos :). Anyways, the screen is now installed and initial thoughts are quite positive. This idea of - "you will get used to looking at the main screen for speed", just sounded like a "compromise". I mean, if that was the case, why have them in Model S and X.

One quick question - how do I get the latest firmware? I dont seem to find that on Hansshow's site. Does anyone know their "WhatsApp" number?
For some reason Hansshow for this product didn't post the link to their latest firmware files. Not sure why.

On their website and the screenshot it says the Whatsapp number is +86 13044219654. Hopefully you are able to get the latest firmware for the Android and non-Android versions and reupload it up for us here.

Under Technical Support - After-Sales Technology section

Hansshow Contact Us

Attachments

• 1711345430418.png
    1711345430418.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: valuebuyer
Does the OTA function work on this F9 display? I was talking with a company who sells the F9 display product on Aliexpress and he sent me a video of how to download the latest firmware via the OTA function since I asked them how one could get future firmware updates.

Unfortunately I can't upload the video since the attachment is too large but I uploaded it to Imgur so that people can check it out.

For those that can barely see the screen it looks the following steps are needed to try this OTA function out.
1. Go to Settings and under OTA upgrade and click the Update button and read the banner steps.
2. Turn off the bluetooth connection between the phone and display
3. Set your phone hotspot settings to the following and enable phone hotspot as shown at 0:16 second mark of the video
SSID = car
password = 12345678
3. Connect your display to your phone hotspot and press the Download popup button and the firmware files should start downloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: nkresho
What do you guys think of the latest FY9 display which is probably the same 9 inch display but in a new casing to match the Model S/X front dashboard? I do like the new air vent coming from the top side instead of the bottom side.

That one looks to be missing the air vent passthrough though. That was a big selling point for me.
What are you talking about, the air vent passthrough is on the top side of the display rather than the bottom side of the display which I think honestly makes more sense than on the bottom side since with the bottom side the steering wheel is right there. Have you looked at all the product page pictures in the link above? Tesstudio sells the same product for cheaper. I saw someone do a youtube product review already for it and it proves there is an air vent passthrough.

• Informative
Reactions: nkresho
The passthru vent on this contoured dash is on top of the screen instead of the bottom. It probably works better than the F9 in blowing wind past the steering wheel.

This video shows a software update for the dashboard version. Past review video of this screen shows same button and setting layout as the F9 version. Whos brave enough to see if the linked software updates work on the F9

• Helpful
Reactions: nkresho and flai54
The passthru vent on this contoured dash is on top of the screen instead of the bottom. It probably works better than the F9 in blowing wind past the steering wheel.

This video shows a software update for the dashboard version. Past review video of this screen shows same button and setting layout as the F9 version. Whos brave enough to see if the linked software updates work on the F9

Does the OTA button not work for software updates as I posted 3 posts above for the F9?

i tried it before by setting a guest network ssid named "car" with password of 12345678. It worked. At least it goes thru the process and shows you the progress bar. But you never know what happened or what changed or if anything changed at all...
ok but can you check the build number afterwards? Like taking a picture of the build version number before and after the firmware update?

After being away from this forum for a couple of months, I came back to check on progress. It seems that I missed all the firmware updates as the files were auto-deleted. Could someone be so kind as the upload the latest firmware for the Linux version.

As for the person who lamented on not being able to watch videos on the Linux version, you can actually do that. You actually don't need the Android version of the F9 to do this. There are hacks of Android Auto which allows you to sideload apps into Auto on the phone, the output of which then renders out to the F9. I did exactly that so I could display YouTube karaoke videos on the F9. I installed some freemium app which allowed me to sideload 1 app (maybe 3??) before requiring a license. Since I only need Youtube, it was fine for me. I did this two months ago, so I don't remember my exact steps or the name of app. But roughly, I think I searched for "Youtube on Android Auto" or something like that.

Switching topics - this may be too late, but may be helpful for others. Passing the front facing camera wire through the firewall: I did NOT cut a hole to pass the wire. Someone was right in saying routing the camera cable took the longest time. After staring at the firewall grommet for a while, I ultimately decided to pass the wire to the side of the grommet. I wanted a 100% reversible/non-destructive installation. (A Tesla Mobile Tech warned me that Tesla is taking a hard line position that any part of the car that shows after-market mods will NOT be covered by warranty.)

I do recognize that the wire is now wedged between the rubber grommet and the edge of hole in the metal firewall. There may be some chafing, but I am hoping that the grommet is tight enough to prevent that. It takes a little effort, but you can pry a side of the grommet out far enough to create an opening to pass the camera cable through.

Another review of the FY9-C display and shares his view on the things that should change as well. I like the passthrough vent on the top side vs the bottom side.

Hey everyone 1st ever post here but wanted to share my experience with the Android F9. Here is a comment I made on Shiva's video

I wanted to add my perspective to this equipment as well because I purchased this screen based off this and a few other videos. This screen is probably my biggest "buyers remorse" purchase of the year. I was looking to add Android Auto back to my car since the Tesla infotainment system is severely lacking in a bunch of areas. Based off this video this hit all the marks so I bought it. Let me start off by saying Android Auto is unusable to me on this screen. Using the steering wheel controls to navigate is broken AT BEST. Scrolling with the thumb track on the wheel jumps the cursor all over the place and is unpredictable. You pretty much HAVE TO use it as a touch screen and I don't know about you but I really dont want to be reaching over my steering wheel while driving to touch another screen. Second the airflow is OK its not great, I like to ride with my wheel high and the vents are so low that you have to lower your wheel pretty much to its lowest setting. Installation was fine not hard at all although I skipped the front camera and just went with the screen wiring. Remember this is MY experience and my family are all Android users so we never tried CarPlay so your milage may vary. I just wanted to put in my two cents and hopefully prevent someone from making the same mistake purchase that I did.

Hey everyone 1st ever post here but wanted to share my experience with the Android F9. Here is a comment I made on Shiva's video

I wanted to add my perspective to this equipment as well because I purchased this screen based off this and a few other videos. This screen is probably my biggest "buyers remorse" purchase of the year. I was looking to add Android Auto back to my car since the Tesla infotainment system is severely lacking in a bunch of areas. Based off this video this hit all the marks so I bought it. Let me start off by saying Android Auto is unusable to me on this screen. Using the steering wheel controls to navigate is broken AT BEST. Scrolling with the thumb track on the wheel jumps the cursor all over the place and is unpredictable. You pretty much HAVE TO use it as a touch screen and I don't know about you but I really dont want to be reaching over my steering wheel while driving to touch another screen. Second the airflow is OK its not great, I like to ride with my wheel high and the vents are so low that you have to lower your wheel pretty much to its lowest setting. Installation was fine not hard at all although I skipped the front camera and just went with the screen wiring. Remember this is MY experience and my family are all Android users so we never tried CarPlay so your milage may vary. I just wanted to put in my two cents and hopefully prevent someone from making the same mistake purchase that I did.
I am assuming you also installed the latest firmware updates that is on the Tesstudio's website? I don't know if you have the latest version installed on your device that might have fixed some of your problems. The riding high on the wheel thing is something you can control and its hard to fault Tesstudio on this because it is just conforming to the available platform that is given by Tesla.

Since you like to ride the steering wheel high, perhaps the 6.86" steering wheel column Android Auto version would be more suitable for your situation. Either way airflow is going to be blocked because you cannot move the air vents.

I am assuming you also installed the latest firmware updates that is on the Tesstudio's website? I don't know if you have the latest version installed on your device that might have fixed some of your problems. The riding high on the wheel thing is something you can control and its hard to fault Tesstudio on this because it is just conforming to the available platform that is given by Tesla.

Since you like to ride the steering wheel high, perhaps the 6.86" steering wheel column Android Auto version would be more suitable for your situation. Either way airflow is going to be blocked because you cannot move the air vents.
Honestly the airflow isn't that big of deal I was just pointing it out. I would gladly sacrifice airflow for working Android Auto. I actually reached out to Hansshow via whatsapp like many others and was provided with the latest software, which fixed the terrible bluetooth issues I was having that I didn't mention. I'm assuming what they gave me was the latest and greatest software.

Honestly the airflow isn't that big of deal I was just pointing it out. I would gladly sacrifice airflow for working Android Auto. I actually reached out to Hansshow via whatsapp like many others and was provided with the latest software, which fixed the terrible bluetooth issues I was having that I didn't mention. I'm assuming what they gave me was the latest and greatest software.
Just for my clarification, are you referring to the Hansshow FY9 product (new product with top screen air vent) or were you referring to the Hansshow F9-C (original product released several months ago with bottom screen air vent) in your review? Just trying to make sure I am tracking your feedback on which specific product.