Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Mini dash display 5.16"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you finding these small USC-C sticks? I thought USB-C sticks didn't start being a thing until 16GB was the smallest stick on the market. I am, of course, getting delivery today of a 128GB device that I ordered before reading your post
Just use your normal USB-A stick and get a USB-A to USB-C adapter. It is much more useful. You cannot format the USB stick into FAT32 larger than 32 GB sticks. I would look on Amazon for smaller USB sticks and format the allocation size to 4KB.

Last edited:
wouldn’t most people unjust use an adapter cable and put a standard drive into the other end of the cable? Why go out the way to find or pay for something that’s still
Not that common.
Exactly...USB-a to usb-c adapters are so cheap and also in my case I got a free one that came with my pixel 7 phone. Manufacturers are not going to make like 4 GB Usb-c sticks and only USB-A sticks in that size exist.

Well, I found an *OLD* 2GB microSD card and stuck it into my USB-A&C adapter that was gonna get the 128GB card that arrived today. It worked just fine, dragged the files onto it and then plugged it into my display. It didn't seem to do anything and a friend called and I walked away. The next three times I got in the car the display was black and I started thinking I had destroyed my display.

But then the next time I got in the car just now to go out to dinner the display booted updating from the card. Lost all my settings, but those were easy to re-setup. I turned off the PLAID video and now my VJOY display says HansShow when it boots. I guess that's OK as my order on AliExpress now also says it's a HansShow display, not sure what happened. It's also $18 cheaper now, shocking!

I have the 2018 LR RWD TM3 and I am still not seeing the blue wheel or the blue flashing and it still has the MP/H not MPH as show in this image from AliExpress:

S77338ef9b9d94a019aa73d0efa08713aw.jpg

Well, I found an *OLD* 2GB microSD card and stuck it into my USB-A&C adapter that was gonna get the 128GB card that arrived today. It worked just fine, dragged the files onto it and then plugged it into my display. It didn't seem to do anything and a friend called and I walked away. The next three times I got in the car the display was black and I started thinking I had destroyed my display.

But then the next time I got in the car just now to go out to dinner the display booted updating from the card. Lost all my settings, but those were easy to re-setup. I turned off the PLAID video and now my VJOY display says HansShow when it boots. I guess that's OK as my order on AliExpress now also says it's a HansShow display, not sure what happened. It's also $18 cheaper now, shocking!

I have the 2018 LR RWD TM3 and I am still not seeing the blue wheel or the blue flashing and it still has the MP/H not MPH as show in this image from AliExpress:

S77338ef9b9d94a019aa73d0efa08713aw.jpg

The MP/H is still a known issue and I think someone on the Hansshow website product page asked the Hansshow team if that can be fixed to MPH and KPH in a future update but it wasn't clear if Hansshow will fix it. Hopefully they will but it wouldn't be a showstopper for me. I would also like to see the distance measurement on UI1 as well just like it does with UI2. Also yes the Aliexpress display is delivering the Hansshow genuine product since even if you order from Hansshow website itself it is still from China anyways.

I am bit confused on your installation steps as you didn't seem to have followed the instructions in the instruction video where you are suppose to plug in the USB stick into the display and then turn off the power under the Safety menu. Then you are suppose to tap your brake pedal and it will initialize the process. Alternatively what you did by exiting the vehicle and locking it and unlocking it would probably do the same thing.

Also the firmware stated that you need to be using CAN2 and UI1 only to see the blue wheel and blue light flashing. UI2 will have the blue wheel but it does not show the blue light flashing like it does with UI1.

Last edited:
Oh, didn't seem to tell me anything that I didn't know. Downloaded a RAR file, opened it, copied to a USB stick, plugged into the display, waited for update to finish. No instructions needed really.

I'm not much of a reader. I think the reason I downloaded the files originally before I got the USB stick was in response to someone having issues unarchiving them asking for help. So I didn't notice the other stuff when I did go to install

Oh, didn't seem to tell me anything that I didn't know. Downloaded a RAR file, opened it, copied to a USB stick, plugged into the display, waited for update to finish. No instructions needed really.

I'm not much of a reader. I think the reason I downloaded the files originally before I got the USB stick was in response to someone having issues unarchiving them asking for help. So I didn't notice the other stuff when I did go to install
I think what was perplexing about your experience description is that you said you copied the files over to the USB, then plugged it in the display USB port and said the display didn't do anything. Well of course the display doesn't do anything since it doesn't just interrupt what you are doing and just install the update. If you saw the instruction video, you had to manually power off the display under the Safety settings and then hit the brake pedal to initialize the update which should have been common sense.

Perhaps you didn't provide the full details I think which is why you got confusing responses. The only reason why it worked for you later on was by accident if I take what you said as the truth when you just left your car to talk to your friend and then came back and you hit the brake to initialize the update with your USB stick already plugged into the display.

Last edited:
I just did the update. I can confirm that a 16gb drive works, formatted to Fat32 4096 bytes

I now have a different startup screen, with a Model Y instead of the Roadster!
I am thinking now my issue was not the size of the USB drive per say but rather the default allocation size for a 32 GB stick which was 16 KB. Perhaps the Hansshow display only recognizes the firmware update UPD file when the allocation size is 4096 bytes. I think I only arrived at my conclusion later on when my 4 GB stick worked which the default allocation size for a 4 GB stick is 4096 bytes. I think the key is to format whatever USB drive you have to 4096 bytes and the update should work. So in theory my 32 GB USB stick probably would have worked if I just reformatted it with the 4096 bytes allocation size. If Hansshow has another firmware update, I can test out my theory to see if I am correct with my 32 GB USB stick.

How did you update the startup screen?

It sure what I’m looking at. Seems almost natural like leaves. What does it look like in other background colors. Ie black background. What about graphics in that corner what do they look like.

I’m leaning to an lcd leak.

These are cheaply made units given the pricing so I don’t expect perfection from them.

Buying on Hansshow you have to choose 3 or Y, Intel or AMD, but don't see that option on Ali. Is it maybe a different link, or they are all the same?
You just get 1 big harness that contains both AMD and Intel connectors on it. So if you just use the AMD connectors for exmaple, you will need to use the wire wrap and tuck the extra connectors inside the side walls of the pocket.

I bought my 5.16" display from the same Nan Yang provider in that link so you are good no matter what system you have.

Reactions: LiamPope