Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard braking with TACC in stop-n-go traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking those videos and then taking my MS to the SvC, I gave them the videos so they could possibly identify the problem. They ended up changing out on of the front struts but that has not solved the issue. Since then, I've come to think that the noise is coming from the brake pedal itself. I've head a very similar noise just by taking my foot off the brake really fast. I think TACC is applying brake pressure in pulses and that is causing the brake pedal to vibrate. This is just a guess.
With each software update. It happen more often. Do you have any luck with Service Center?

With each software update. It happen more often. Do you have any luck with Service Center?
No. They changed out some front struts but the sound still happens periodically. Actually not as bad as before with the latest updates for me. I'm on 10.4. I've finally figured out it's just the brake pedal vibrating when TACC applies a lot of brakes. I think TACC is cycling the brake pressure on and off really fast and this is causing the pedal to vibrate.

No. They changed out some front struts but the sound still happens periodically. Actually not as bad as before with the latest updates for me. I'm on 10.4. I've finally figured out it's just the brake pedal vibrating when TACC applies a lot of brakes. I think TACC is cycling the brake pressure on and off really fast and this is causing the pedal to vibrate.
Make's sense, from S owner's manual:
Note: When Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is actively slowing down Model S to maintain the selected distance from the vehicle ahead, the brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down. You may also notice slight movement of the brake pedal. However, when Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is accelerating Model S, the accelerator pedal does not move.
If it hits the pedal resonance, it might get loud (great documentary BTW)

Agreed - I also don’t think it has anything to do with ABS, as I’ve seen that mentioned before. ABS would be some sort of insane hard braking on a slippery surface. Rather this feels more like attempting to provide 50% brake power by a binary machine oscillating between 100% and 0%, hence the juddering.

Mildly annoying but doesn’t seem to be an actual problem IMO.

Reactions: scottf200
Agreed - I also don’t think it has anything to do with ABS, as I’ve seen that mentioned before. ABS would be some sort of insane hard braking on a slippery surface. Rather this feels more like attempting to provide 50% brake power by a binary machine oscillating between 100% and 0%, hence the juddering.

Mildly annoying but doesn’t seem to be an actual problem IMO.
Exactly!

haven’t read through all of this and not sure if this has been mentioned. But try using chill mode while in autopilot. I have found it to lead to a smoother more comfortable autopilot experience. Don’t get as much herky jerky speed up and slow downs. Everything more gradual. May help if this truly is from a braking issue.

I am on 2018.12, it happen more than few time every trip from office back to home (2 hours drive and about 1 hour of stop-and-go). Will this condition wear out brake pedal fast?

I am on 2018.12, it happen more than few time every trip from office back to home (2 hours drive and about 1 hour of stop-and-go). Will this condition wear out brake pedal fast?
I don't think so but I'm no expert. I think this is just a vibration of the brake pedal. I don't think that is enough to wear it out. YMMV. BTW, I'm now on 18.12 as well. I haven't had a lot of stop-n-go driving with it yet so I can't say if it is better, worse, or the same. Although, the couple small stop-n-go events I did experience there was none of this. So that was good.

Used to see this on older firmware, seldom see this on more recent firmware (2018.10.4 and 12). I think recent firmwares are looking a lot further ahead as I’ve seen the car slowing even before the front car appears on the IC, which never happened on past software. Hardware interaction could be an individual problem, of course.

I’ve always used following distance ‘2’, BTW.

Used to see this on older firmware, seldom see this on more recent firmware (2018.10.4 and 12). I think recent firmwares are looking a lot further ahead as I’ve seen the car slowing even before the front car appears on the IC, which never happened on past software. Hardware interaction could be an individual problem, of course.

I’ve always used following distance ‘2’, BTW.
I get the shuddering noise regularly on 2018.10.4 on my X. Annoying. My AP1 X did not *ever* do this.

Interesting.... wonder if manufacturing date matters? Or AP2.5 (can't see how).... Mine was late August..
I need to take back what I said. I drove quite a bit today and paid very close attention to how often the shutter happened compared to it slowing down farther away and smoother on 10.4. My memory was bad when I made the comment above. 10.4 is quite a bit better. I still got some shutters today but they are definitely less frequent.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I'm hearing this sound on my June 2018 Model S, too, when on Autopilot and the car brakes hard. It is not reproducible when braking off Autopilot. Has anyone been able to get the Service Center to correct this issue? It definitely isn't the struts based on previous comments, but curious if anyone else has had this fixed yet.

I'm hearing this sound on my June 2018 Model S, too, when on Autopilot and the car brakes hard. It is not reproducible when braking off Autopilot. Has anyone been able to get the Service Center to correct this issue? It definitely isn't the struts based on previous comments, but curious if anyone else has had this fixed yet.
No fix that I have heard of. I’m convinced that the sound is the brake pedal vibrating when TACC or AP cycles the brakes during a hard braking event. Always wondered if the performance pedals did this or if it’s just the normal pedals.

No fix that I have heard of. I’m convinced that the sound is the brake pedal vibrating when TACC or AP cycles the brakes during a hard braking event. Always wondered if the performance pedals did this or if it’s just the normal pedals.
The performance pedals are merely aluminum covers (e.g. makeup/lipstick/dressing); they are not meaningfully different in any way, so nothing to do with this juddering.

I also don't believe it's necessarily a "problem," in the sense that it may be "by design" (albeit not necessarily good design, but not indicative of an issue.) We drove a Model 3 for a week and did not experience the juddering on there with reasonably lengthy AP usage, but it also has the newer AP2.5 (or whatever) hardware and reacted a bit differently than our AP2 in all traffic. I would classify the Model 3 behaving more smoothly and reacting a bit more quickly than our MS. (Could have to do with processing, could have to do with different radar, who knows?)

Reactions: JohnnyG
The performance pedals are merely aluminum covers (e.g. makeup/lipstick/dressing); they are not meaningfully different in any way, so nothing to do with this juddering.

If the noise is caused by pedal vibration induced from the ABS system, the additional mass of the pedal cover may be enough to cause the pedal to lift from the master cylinder linkage on the rebound. In other words, low mass pedals stay in contact but high mass seperate (in terms of play in the linkage) and then reconnect.

You’d laugh if you held these things in your hands. “Mass” is not the word you’d use. (I installed a similar set of aluminum “pedals” on my Subaru’s and they weigh virtually nothing.)

In addition, I *don’t* have the aluminum pedals on our S and have experienced the shuddering/juddering, so if somebody with the pedals has also experienced it, it would rule that out.

My gut says it’s a software thing.

You’d laugh if you held these things in your hands. “Mass” is not the word you’d use. (I installed a similar set of aluminum “pedals” on my Subaru’s and they weigh virtually nothing.)

In addition, I *don’t* have the aluminum pedals on our S and have experienced the shuddering/juddering, so if somebody with the pedals has also experienced it, it would rule that out.

My gut says it’s a software thing.

I likely would :)

From a raw physics perspective, if it is an edge/ low probability condition, that incremental addition(albeit minor (depending on base pedal mass, rotational inertia difference, natural resonance)) could make a difference. It could be the case that all pedals can produce the noise, but the covered pedals have a greater chance of doing so.
Or it could be that another tolerance dwarfs it and is the root cause.