Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is not working 11/18/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11-19... The superchargers were weak! 50kWh at best! Slow! Tesla Tech stated that the site had continual problems with getting power>>> it is not an on site problem.. it's the power feed apparently.
I'm a bit loathe to be pedantic, but for the benefit of others and to avoid confusion, your unit usage is wrong. I think you meant to say the charge rate is 50 kW. To partly quote someone else:

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If you one charges at 1 kW for 50 hours, 50 kWh came out of the wall...err... SC. If you charge at 25 kW for 2 hours, that's also 50 kWh. 50 kW for 1 hour? 50 kWh. 100 kW for 30 minutes? 50 kWh

Harris still out today as of 730a I talked to roadside asst and explained to her how important it is to notify us. She understands that and said top management is working on it as a priority. That's not good enough in my opinion. People who don't visit this forum have no way of knowing, will be stuck at Harris, and will be very pissed off. Bad press is soon to follow Im sure. How difficult is it to send an email or are they afraid it will get to the media?

edit as of 8 am 2 stalls out of 6 are working per roadside asst

Last edited:
I'm a bit loathe to be pedantic, but for the benefit of others and to avoid confusion, your unit usage is wrong. I think you meant to say the charge rate is 50 kW. To partly quote someone else:

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If you one charges at 1 kW for 50 hours, 50 kWh came out of the wall...err... SC. If you charge at 25 kW for 2 hours, that's also 50 kWh. 50 kW for 1 hour? 50 kWh. 100 kW for 30 minutes? 50 kWh

I too hate being pedantic ... but see above ... :)

Just got off the phone with Tesla and they said that the Superchargers are currently up and at full power. They have been running for the last few hours. They only have some issues with one stall right now. They also said that they have portable chargers and generators out there right now. I'll ping them again when I get to Gilroy later tonight.

I was afraid to say the "G" word, but it's necessary given how many times the site has been up and down recently and with the upcoming holiday travel period. 320kW diesel generator, sufficient for 4 stalls rents for only $1,650/week. Small price to pay for Tesla to avoid a bunch of PO'd customers, not to mention avoiding a bunch of towing fees.

Last edited:
At Gilroy now and just got off the phone with Tesla. They claim that the chargers have been working all day and no one has had to be towed today. Hmmm... I guess I'm heading down I5. Wish me luck. I have my wife, 1 year-old, and mother-in-law with me. The chargers better work.

Thanks Ken Let us know as my family has to plan their route for the return trip

Well, I think based on your experience, I would just take the 101 and be done with it. If you called Tesla and they said there is a backup solution in case the power is down again, then it would be up to you.

There is no guaranty that a supercharger or any charger will be working when you get there and we need to plan accordingly.

On my road trip, I arrived at a supercharger a 2:00AM with 15 miles of range in Ohio to find they had resurfaced the parking lot and had the whole are blocked off with tape and cones. That bothered me...but driving to the other side I saw another Tesla owner before me had cut the tape and I followed the path and was able to charge. In Cheyenne I arrived to find out the entire parking lot had been taken over by an RV and motor home show, luckily the path the the superchargers was available.

If a supercharger is down, what are the options? Tow is one, finding a RV park is another or using another charger based on one of the other apps.

I'm happy that Tesla got you to the next supercharger (not the best way with four people). I've been thinking of this thread for a few hours and I'm still at a loss what to do, here are some of my ideas.

Email: My wife bought the car and I'm not on any mailing list, so an email would not help. In addition, if I'm on the road, my phone is in my pocket and I don't look at emails until I stop. Also do I want to get an email telling me Murdo, SD is down, when I'm in LA?

The Tesla app: Having an option to tell you the current status of superchargers or having an alert tab with supercharger network issues. I like that but for the same reason, when I'm driving I don't touch my phone.

The Navagation option: On the Nav screen, when there is an issue with a supercharger, have a special balloon with big red or white "!" next to it or on top of it. When you click on it besides the address and the navigate button, it could have an alert message telling you the issue with the supercharger. That seems like the best solution and that does go with some peoples thoughts on reporting current supercharger status.

All of the above depend on Tesla reporting an issue as soon as they are aware of it, but I don't think they need to do blanket notifications.

Just arrived at Tejon Ranch. I left Harris Ranch an hour and a half ago and was able to successfully charge. A flatbed was standing by and huge diesel generators were powering the superchargers. A Lot PG&E crew was on site. I spoke with them and one of the guys told me that power was getting to the cabinets okay, but it didn't seem to like it. But power from the generators feeding into the same cabinets are perfectly fine. They don't know what's wrong. To me, it sounds like something is wrong with PG&E power. Noise issue or sagging?

The Navagation option: On the Nav screen, when there is an issue with a supercharger, have a special balloon with big red or white "!" next to it or on top of it. When you click on it besides the address and the navigate button, it could have an alert message telling you the issue with the supercharger. That seems like the best solution and that does go with some peoples thoughts on reporting current supercharger status.

I think that the Nav screen only updates once a day with new Supercharger locations, and in order to give real time information on the touchscreen that would be useful to a Model S/X driver using the Supercharger network for a road trip, you'd have to update hourly or even more often.

The most straightforward solution would be for Tesla to show real time SC data on a website, then drivers could access it prior to starting a trip and as often as they wish. This would not require Telsa to blast out updates to Telsa owners who don't need it at the moment. If you were driving alone, and a SC went down after you departed for it, you would not be able to check the website because you'd be driving... and then you'd be in trouble arriving at a remote SC location with few Rated Miles.

An enhanced notification system would combine a real-time website with opt-in notifications similar to how airlines websites allow you to sign up for text messages warning a passenger that their plane will be late. There are probably third party services which provide this functionality to the airlines, Tesla could sign up for this. A driver would log into MyTelsa, enter the time span and the list of Superchargers he/she wanted notifications on, and enter their mobile phone number. Then you'd get a text message while you are driving warning you of SC problems ahead.

Last edited:
It's clear that Tesla understands how important it is that this Harris Ranch SC power supply problem doesn't become a PR disaster, with news stories screaming "Telsa Supercharger Fails, EV Owners Stranded!" Tesla seems to be doing everything they can to keep the SC running until PG&E can figure out what's wrong with their power feed.

The fact that the Harris Ranch SC's work fine on generator power seems to clearly indicate the problem is with the utility feed to the site.

I'm surprised that this situation doesn't seem to have attracted any negative press yet, as far as I know. Of course it's just a tiny blip in an otherwise extremely impressive Supercharger uptime track record. The Superchargers aren't perfect, but they are pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Intriguing as it all as worked well for over a year already.

Just arrived at Tejon Ranch. I left Harris Ranch an hour and a half ago and was able to successfully charge. A flatbed was standing by and huge diesel generators were powering the superchargers. A Lot PG&E crew was on site. I spoke with them and one of the guys told me that power was getting to the cabinets okay, but it didn't seem to like it. But power from the generators feeding into the same cabinets are perfectly fine. They don't know what's wrong. To me, it sounds like something is wrong with PG&E power. Noise issue or sagging?

Status
Not open for further replies.