Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love to see P3D MSM with spoiler as well.
cYfwKXT.jpg

FOhytAk.jpg

CF spoiler and badge installed today. It went pretty quickly and didn't take much time out of my day.

Observation: The spoiler I got looks like it's lifting at the edges. At least there's a gap between what's presumably some 3M tape at the spoiler that's visible on either end. It was like that when they put it on. I asked them about it and they said it's normal. The rest of the spoiler sits flush. This was the second spoiler they put on my car after the first spoiler didn't fit well. I've attached a picture below. How is everyone's install looking in this area?

And did anyone else have to Goo Gone their badge after placement? Mine had a good amount of adhesive on the letters.

View attachment 376015

Exact same problem with mine. I'm going to bug them again when they have a bit more experience installing this. Had no problem with the badge. Perfectly clean.

Attachments

• spoiler.jpg
    spoiler.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 193
After seeing some of these spoilers with lifted edges and others without, I'm definitely going to wait a bit for install. Still no email from Tesla (SF//Sept. delivery) but when I get one I will schedule out a few weeks. Assume installers are still figuring out their method and getting comfortable.

Can’t they just add more double sided tape at the edges?
Not if the curvature of the spoiler doesn't conform to the curvature of the car. I had this issue with a thin CF overlay over my steering wheel recently. One edge keeps detaching and popping up slightly. I tried redoing the adhesives in just that corner 8 times (using the strongest 3M adhesives I can find), and each time it pops back up again. The 9th try, I removed the whole piece, heat it up and bent it the opposite direction, and reapplied adhesives. So far it's been sticking for 6 days. This only worked because the CF piece is very thin, so I was able to change its curvature a bit by heating then bending it. I doubt that would work with the spoiler if its curvature isn't exactly correct.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Not if the curvature of the spoiler doesn't conform to the curvature of the car. I had this issue with a thin CF overlay over my steering wheel recently. One edge keeps detaching. I tried redoing the adhesives in that corner 8 times, and each time it pops back on again. The 9th try, I removed the whole piece, heat it up and bent it the opposite direction, and reapplied adhesives. So far it's been sticking for 6 days. This only worked because the CF piece is very thin, so I was able to change its curvature a bit by heating then bending it. I doubt that would work with the spoiler if its curvature isn't exactly correct.

Hmmm so when we heard that rumor about "manufacturing problems" with the spoilers, i wonder if this was part of it. Seems tricky to hold such a thin part to a tight final positional tolerance on a ~3' length.

Not if the curvature of the spoiler doesn't conform to the curvature of the car. I had this issue with a thin CF overlay over my steering wheel recently. One edge keeps detaching and popping up slightly. I tried redoing the adhesives in just that corner 8 times (using the strongest 3M adhesives I can find), and each time it pops back up again. The 9th try, I removed the whole piece, heat it up and bent it the opposite direction, and reapplied adhesives. So far it's been sticking for 6 days. This only worked because the CF piece is very thin, so I was able to change its curvature a bit by heating then bending it. I doubt that would work with the spoiler if its curvature isn't exactly correct.

Ah, ok. Bummer. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Wondering if I should wait longer for them to figure this out.

Hmmm so when we heard that rumor about "manufacturing problems" with the spoilers, i wonder if this was part of it. Seems tricky to hold such a thin part to a tight final positional tolerance on a ~3' length.
Exactly. The adhesive bond depends on the surface area, so the ends are especially susceptible, because there is less surface area to work with.

Ah, ok. Bummer. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Wondering if I should wait longer for them to figure this out.
To be clear, this CF steering wheel overlay is an aftermarket item, so some variances may not be surprising. But for an OEM piece like the spoiler, I'd expect perfect fit.