TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Zoglog, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Gresh

Gresh Member

Love to see P3D MSM with spoiler as well.

2. DJung

DJung Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Love x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. Mayhem

Mayhem Professional F5 Presser

Does yours lift up a bit from the trunk panel on the ends like previously pictured in this thread?

4. Daniel F

Daniel F Member

Exact same problem with mine. I'm going to bug them again when they have a bit more experience installing this. Had no problem with the badge. Perfectly clean.

Attached Files:

5. Daniel F

Daniel F Member

This is most certainly not by design. Mine only does this on one side (the other side sits perfectly flush).

6. Rich Lee

Rich Lee Member

I’m so excited for this. Love the way it blends into the top line of body (except for the lifted edge)...

7. JG T3SLA

JG T3SLA Member

After seeing some of these spoilers with lifted edges and others without, I'm definitely going to wait a bit for install. Still no email from Tesla (SF//Sept. delivery) but when I get one I will schedule out a few weeks. Assume installers are still figuring out their method and getting comfortable.

8. Gresh

Gresh Member

@DJung:

Looks awesome. Do you have a direct shot ( looking from the rear )? Thx.

• Like x 1
  9. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Well good thing they had all that extra time for re-design and all.....

• Like x 1
  10. TANGO SUKKA

TANGO SUKKA Member

i have a feeling this is going to be a cluster. that gap looks terrible and not 'normal'. wish elon could chime in directly, heh.

• Like x 2
  11. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Can’t they just add more double sided tape at the edges?

12. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

Not if the curvature of the spoiler doesn't conform to the curvature of the car. I had this issue with a thin CF overlay over my steering wheel recently. One edge keeps detaching and popping up slightly. I tried redoing the adhesives in just that corner 8 times (using the strongest 3M adhesives I can find), and each time it pops back up again. The 9th try, I removed the whole piece, heat it up and bent it the opposite direction, and reapplied adhesives. So far it's been sticking for 6 days. This only worked because the CF piece is very thin, so I was able to change its curvature a bit by heating then bending it. I doubt that would work with the spoiler if its curvature isn't exactly correct.

• Informative x 1
  13. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Just picked car up from service in LA (Centinela) and they didn't have spoilers available and said "end of quarter" again :(

Though i suppose it will give them some time to learn how to get those darn corners to stick :D

14. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Hmmm so when we heard that rumor about "manufacturing problems" with the spoilers, i wonder if this was part of it. Seems tricky to hold such a thin part to a tight final positional tolerance on a ~3' length.

15. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Ah, ok. Bummer. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Wondering if I should wait longer for them to figure this out.

16. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

Exactly. The adhesive bond depends on the surface area, so the ends are especially susceptible, because there is less surface area to work with.

To be clear, this CF steering wheel overlay is an aftermarket item, so some variances may not be surprising. But for an OEM piece like the spoiler, I'd expect perfect fit.

17. DJung

DJung Member

Yes, Tesla mobile service is supposed to come to my house and replace it soon.

18. DJung

DJung Member

Yeah, I'll take one in the morning when it's light out.

19. Vegan Pleather

Do you mind taking some pix once it's all done? I'll consider doing the same depending on the results

20. focher

focher Member

No way am I accepting the spoiler with the gaps at the edges. Wondering if it's better to defer installation until the service centers have more experience.