Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine redone in Dedham on Monday. They said they have moved to using a urethane adhesive instead of the 3M tape. The tape on mine was actually pulling apart, cohesive failure as adhesive. The re installation looks good so far.

My disappointment is the fact that they made a mess of my trunk paint. I should have just removed it and reinstalled it myself. I didn't even address the paint issue with them because honestly I don't want them making a bigger mess. I HATE having people touch my car. They are generally careless. Dirty rags, putting tools on the car etc.

I don't care so much about residue left from the adhesive removal solvent, I've gotten most of that off. The issue is the scuffs and scratches. Swirls can probably be polished out easy enough, but there are deep scratches that were not there going in. Luckily I don't think anything is through the clear coat, but it would need some serious cutting to correct. I washed and detailed the car the day before so I would have known if they were there going in. The scratches are clear as day. I had the car three stage paint corrected last fall to fix delivery issues, the paint was in top notch shape. Now I have a few deep scratches on the top of the trunk and scuffs all over the place on the trunk lid and some on the rear bumper and especially parallel to the spoiler. NOT HAPPY!

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
I had mine redone in Dedham on Monday. They said they have moved to using a urethane adhesive instead of the 3M tape. The tape on mine was actually pulling apart, cohesive failure as adhesive. The re installation looks good so far.

My disappointment is the fact that they made a mess of my trunk paint. I should have just removed it and reinstalled it myself. I didn't even address the paint issue with them because honestly I don't want them making a bigger mess. I HATE having people touch my car. They are generally careless. Dirty rags, putting tools on the car etc.

I don't care so much about residue left from the adhesive removal solvent, I've gotten most of that off. The issue is the scuffs and scratches. Swirls can probably be polished out easy enough, but there are deep scratches that were not there going in. Luckily I don't think anything is through the clear coat, but it would need some serious cutting to correct. I washed and detailed the car the day before so I would have known if they were there going in. The scratches are clear as day. I had the car three stage paint corrected last fall to fix delivery issues, the paint was in top notch shape. Now I have a few deep scratches on the top of the trunk and scuffs all over the place on the trunk lid and some on the rear bumper and especially parallel to the spoiler. NOT HAPPY!

That's terrible! Sorry to hear about that :(

I had my original spoiler replaced last week while the car was in for windshield replacement since it was lifting on the passenger side. The new spoiler looks worse, and is already lifting on BOTH sides instead of just one. Looks like they'll get a 3rd try in the near future.

Sorry to hear about the issues they caused on your paint. I know if it was my car, it would bug me to see scratches caused by service techs.

Did they re-install the same spoiler you had or did they install a new one ?

Sorry to hear about the issues they caused on your paint. I know if it was my car, it would bug me to see scratches caused by service techs.

Did they re-install the same spoiler you had or did they install a new one ?

Yea it kills me. I'm very particular about paint. I realize it's not a garage queen or a collectible car, but you can still take care of it and not be careless. I wish I wasn't so particular but I can't unsee things. I know some people would think I'm nuts, but whatever. In general people seem like to to touch clean and slick paint, it just plain old pisses me off. Look with your god damn eyes, not your hands. I spend a lot of time and money to keep it as nice as a 3 season daily driver can be.

It's just not worth bringing it up with service since I sure as hell don't want their detail shop with dirty rags touching my car trying to fix it. I took a few pictures and video just to document it, but honestly its hard to see due to my phone having trouble focusing on the surface issues. It's pretty obvious in person though. You don't see it from 10 feet away, but every time I go into the trunk it's right in front of your face.

Light scratches parallel to the entire spoiler
IMG_0212.png
Much deeper scratches on the trunk lid, you can feel them with your fingernail.
IMG_0210.png IMG_0208.png

I'm going to have to take the same approach I did with my Corvette, ONLY bring the car in for service when it is 100% necessary, everything else I take care of. I should have taken care of removing and reinstalling the spoiler myself. If possible I'll utilize mobile service so I can be close by keeping an eye on things instead of having the car jammed in their shop with 20 other cars. I also have two scratches on the window trim that weren't there before. If I hadn't just done a through detail the day before I would have chalked the window trim up to something hitting it while driving.

I'm not sure if it's the same spoiler. I know they pushed off my appointment because they wanted to have one on hand in case mine was damaged during removal. I'll have to look closer and see if I can tell. There was one slight defect on the passenger side tip, I'll have to see if it is there.

I took a few pictures and video just to document it, but honestly its hard to see due to my phone having trouble focusing on the surface issues. It's pretty obvious in person though. You don't see it from 10 feet away, but every time I go into the trunk it's right in front of your face.

I can definitely see the scratches in your pic and there seems to be quite a few of them...

What year Corvette did you have ? I'm seriously thinking of ordering a C8 and taking NCM delivery.

I can definitely see the scratches in your pic and there seems to be quite a few of them...

What year Corvette did you have ? I'm seriously thinking of ordering a C8 and taking NCM delivery.

And you can see in the pics that the rest of the paint is a mirror, I would know if those issues were there before. The scratches look worse in person.

2008 C6. I still love the car, fast fun and looks great! The C7 did nothing for me. I'm in love again with the C8, I want one, but I won't be getting one anytime soon. Although if I was going to get one I'd wait a few years. Let the bugs get worked out of the new platform and more packages to become available like the grans sport option did (I missed by a year). Looking at the chassis design I still have a feeling they designed in that huge transmission tunnel for some form of AWD, maybe on the ZR1 variant in a few years. I have two kids and the C6 just wasn't getting any use since it's a 2 seater. The performance model three is pushing all the right buttons at the moment.

And you can see in the pics that the rest of the paint is a mirror, I would know if those issues were there before. The scratches look worse in person.

2008 C6. I still love the car, fast fun and looks great! The C7 did nothing for me. I'm in love again with the C8, I want one, but I won't be getting one anytime soon. Although if I was going to get one I'd wait a few years. Let the bugs get worked out of the new platform and more packages to become available like the grans sport option did (I missed by a year). Looking at the chassis design I still have a feeling they designed in that huge transmission tunnel for some form of AWD, maybe on the ZR1 variant in a few years. I have two kids and the C6 just wasn't getting any use since it's a 2 seater. The performance model three is pushing all the right buttons at the moment.

The local Chevy and Acura service departments perform a fairly thorough visual inspection of the car before any work is done. I noticed on the last three Tesla Mobile visits, that no visible inspection for paint scratches, dings and dents is performed.

A lot of people think my Acura NSX is a C5. Rumor has it there might be a hybrid version of the C8 because GM applied for an "E-Ray" name patent.

.... Rumor has it there might be a hybrid version of the C8 because GM applied for an "E-Ray" name patent.

Yea thatch the other thought I had. It could be some space for batteries for an EV power train on the front wheels. But who knows.
They certainly didn't put that large tunnel structure there for nothing. I don't think the car needs it for rigidity either considering it's a full frame vehicle.

My brother-in-law has a 2018 Grand Sport. He was initially interested in the new mid-engine one but also said he'd never get the first production year. (But after riding in my Tesla he's thinking of getting something a little more practical like a Model 3 or Model S)

Just had mobile tech come out and install mine. I washed and clayed the area last night and took some alcohol and a micro fiber towel and wiped it down right before the install. The spoiler looked like it was very close to the shape of the trunk and so the tape shouldn't do much more than just hold it in place/there isn't any tension or pull.

He brought up the discussions on the forums about the fit and issues very openly. If I had any issues, I can contact him directly and he will replace. Fingers crossed that it will be fine.

Yea it kills me. I'm very particular about paint. I realize it's not a garage queen or a collectible car, but you can still take care of it and not be careless. I wish I wasn't so particular but I can't unsee things. I know some people would think I'm nuts, but whatever. In general people seem like to to touch clean and slick paint, it just plain old pisses me off. Look with your god damn eyes, not your hands. I spend a lot of time and money to keep it as nice as a 3 season daily driver can be.

It's just not worth bringing it up with service since I sure as hell don't want their detail shop with dirty rags touching my car trying to fix it. I took a few pictures and video just to document it, but honestly its hard to see due to my phone having trouble focusing on the surface issues. It's pretty obvious in person though. You don't see it from 10 feet away, but every time I go into the trunk it's right in front of your face.

View attachment 438809
View attachment 438810 View attachment 438807

I'm going to have to take the same approach I did with my Corvette, ONLY bring the car in for service when it is 100% necessary, everything else I take care of. I should have taken care of removing and reinstalling the spoiler myself. If possible I'll utilize mobile service so I can be close by keeping an eye on things instead of having the car jammed in their shop with 20 other cars. I also have two scratches on the window trim that weren't there before. If I hadn't just done a through detail the day before I would have chalked the window trim up to something hitting it while driving.

I'm not sure if it's the same spoiler. I know they pushed off my appointment because they wanted to have one on hand in case mine was damaged during removal. I'll have to look closer and see if I can tell. There was one slight defect on the passenger side tip, I'll have to see if it is there.
Damn... sorry. They damage something on my car every time they touch it pretty much. I report every little thing and make them fix every little thing... It is a really pita since service is 2+ hrs away, but I don't let poor service slide. I just dropped off one of my cars earlier and the loaner was filthy. Had peanut pieces all over the seat and floor, toothpicks on the floormat, etc. I drove it into the service bay and watched them clean it. If you let that stuff go, they will keep doing it.

Urethane! I hope your install is perfect, because I've found urethane adhesives to be hard to remove. Then again, I've only used them for home construction and gluing various wood and wood products, maybe they're different in this application.

Had mine replaced by a mobile tech last evening (original that came with car on delivery was lifting on driver's side). He fitted two separate replacements and applied the better of them. It's already separating on the passenger's side. Just put in for another appointment to replace the new one. Clearly they don't have this issue sorted yet.

View attachment 438809
View attachment 438810 View attachment 438807

good news is those scratches can be be buffed out with an orbital buffer.

good news is those scratches can be be buffed out with an orbital buffer.
Yea exactly, well most anyway. A couple are surprisingly deep, it would take some serious cutting to get rid of. Luckily they aren’t larger. I’d have to have the rear deck lid ceramic coat redone too.

Also, it looks to be the original spoiler that was reinstalled. I was hoping they would put a new one on since there was some weird finish on the carbon cloth on the right side edge. Not a huge deal but a new one would have been good. They made me come back after my original appointment so they could order a spoiler I’m case it broke during removal, they also didn’t think it fit well. They didn’t have one wasn’t in stock at the time. Doesn’t look like they used it.

Yea I know what you mean. Tesla service center just put a nick in one of my new aftermarket wheels

I think yours is the first I've heard of a spoiler lifting, that was installed at the factory......

May or may not have been installed at the factory: car was shipped to the San Antonio delivery center, then home delivered via enclosed truck to me. Might have been installed in San Antonio as part of delivery prep. Delivery was mid May '19.

My replacement spoiler request due to a lifted edge on the passenger side got cancelled today during my appointment window because they did not have a replacement spoiler in stock, even though I scheduled this on 7/16. They now claim they will order one but it will take up to a week to get. That's fine since the first available service window is over a week out.

The saga continues.