Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone else had a beep at the same time as the 1st visual warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Muzzman1

Feb 8, 2014
Los Angeles
This has happened to me on 2 occasions. Since Tesla added the red hands of shame for 3 audible alerts I have never heard a beep once, until the new nag update.
Since the nag update, on 2 occasions I got a beep with the 1st visual indicator.
The 1st time it happened I thought well, maybe I missed the visual, but the 2nd time it happened I definitely had eyes on the dash cluster.

Anyone notice when/why this has happened?

I suspect it happens under visually impaired conditions where the car has trouble with lines or glare, doesn't sense your hands simultaneously, the adds an audible warning along with the 1st visual.

Anyone thoughts?

Yes. Happened to me once. I don’t use Auto steer too often, but I found with the recent update, while on the freeway, when the lines disappeared on an overpass, the vehicle immediately beeped and stated to hold the wheel. Other times, I get the pop up without any audible notification.

Yes. Happened to me once. I don’t use Auto steer too often, but I found with the recent update, while on the freeway, when the lines disappeared on an overpass, the vehicle immediately beeped and stated to hold the wheel. Other times, I get the pop up without any audible notification.
Those might have been the "take over immediately" beeps.
That's not what I mean.
For me Autosteer continued like normal, but the beep was a single pair of beeps that correspond to ignoring the visual "glowing" bar at the top of the cluster.

Those might have been the "take over immediately" beeps.
That's not what I mean.
For me Autosteer continued like normal, but the beep was a single pair of beeps that correspond to ignoring the visual "glowing" bar at the top of the cluster.

Yup. Happens to me every 2-5 minutes while driving with autopilot on non highway roads. Typically when lane lines are not very visible, but sometimes it happens under ideal conditions.

When conditions suddenly become bad, I’ve seen AP2 immediately escalate to beeps, or even directly go to red hands of shame.

Note that neither of these situations count as strikes against you for lockout. That seems to only result from beeps or disengagements caused by ignoring an escalating nag.

I took a road trip in the last 2 days and there were no less than SIX times it did this to me, and almost all of them had me by myself on a highway...not a car in sight. And no, it wasnt because of bad lines or because it had been flashing already. Beeps IMMEDIAYELY when the shake wheel message shows up. The top of the screen isnt even flashing yet.

Naturally, it was with another couple that's never been in a Tesla before so it very quickly turned them off to AutoPilot since it kept doing it. Way to go, forward motion.

I'm just glad to hear I'm not alone, as I was about to see if it was a glitch and contact service about it. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Hopefully they get this worked out, as it's super disruptive and for absolutely no reason whatsoever.