Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had this message when Super Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at the Maumee OH SuperCharger today and after pluging in this message appeared at the bottom of my center display.

Has anyone had this same message? Thoughts and opinions?
IMG_0782.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
It first started showing up, I think, at the beginning of the year. Intent is to try to keep people from sitting at Superchargers that others may want access to. The Mission Supercharger looks to be an Urban Supercharger, so it is a little surprising, but watch it during the holiday, I suspect that it may get busier than usual.

I'm surprised Maumee would be considered a "busy" location. I've been there many times and don't often see another car, except once when there was a line (and one charger broken). I've not seen the 80% warning (even on that one busy visit) so it might be new for Maumee as well.

@dabbler - was it crowded when you got that message?

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's just a reminder for people to move their cars. You can charge to 100% if you adjust it. Not a hard limit. I'm a little annoyed with Tesla about their busy superchargers. They are not doing their part to help with busy superchargers.
Just yesterday I charged at Santa Ana. Always a busy station. 3 stalls out of 12 were open. I got lucky and got an unpaired stall. I arrived at 2% and only got 60 kW the entire session up to 45% when I left. At Buena Park I recently got only 9 kW for 20 minutes. I assume the entire site is limited to limit demand charges.
At several sites that I visited in the last 4 months, when I check the charge rate of both cars on paired stalls, the total power never adds up to 150 kW (which is what the station is capable of in theory). Usually it's only 100 kW combined at the max.
Non working stalls is also a common thing now. Fountain Valley, Downey and Santa Ana had non working stalls for weeks.

There is several things that Tesla could do that would help a lot of busy stations. Especially the poor charge rate when a site is full requires everyone to charge longer, thus making the problem even worse.

Stopped at the Maumee OH SuperCharger today and after pluging in this message appeared at the bottom of my center display.

Has anyone had this same message? Thoughts and opinions?View attachment 448386

Tesla announced this back at the end of May this year. It is normally only for locations they identify as high volume usage so that more people can get charged since that last 20% takes longer than the initial 50-80% SOC.

You would think since the SC locations are all networked that they could have this computer controlled to only activate during actual high usage times and deactivate when lower usage times.

Reactions: dsnows
Tesla announced this back at the end of May this year. It is normally only for locations they identify as high volume usage so that more people can get charged since that last 20% takes longer than the initial 50-80% SOC.

You would think since the SC locations are all networked that they could have this computer controlled to only activate during actual high usage times and deactivate when lower usage times.
Guess we (now) know that it is a "dumb" and not a "smart" system.

I saw that once at a SC on my cross country trip, lucky for me I was able to move it back up to 100% since 80% would not have been enough range to get to the next charger. We made it to 97%, left, got to next one with 8%. Some of the chargers on the West side of the nation are far a part and over mountains.

Reactions: Rocky_H