Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received a 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears likely we're waiting for EPA certification of the rated range, and if that's the case, Tesla is at the mercy of the EPA on when the certification process will be completed.

When we placed our order on January 20, the estimate was for delivery around late March. While our car was built earlier than we expected, the EPA delay could put us closer to the original estimated late March delivery, unfortunately.

While it's frustrating we can see our car at the Service Center but can't buy it yet, I'm confident Tesla will be doing everything they can on their end to deliver our car as soon as they can - especially before the end of the quarter...

Unless someone else can get an official explanation (i.e. something from Tesla HQ, preferably in writing), we're going with "waiting for EPA", and that means our expectations have been lowered for how soon we'll get to pick up our S 100D. If Tesla is waiting for the EPA, it may be difficult to predict how long the hold is going to last, though I expect Tesla will do everything possible to get the cars delivered before the end of the quarter.

If Service Centers are scheduling delivery appointments for next week, it's likely they are doing that because they are hoping the hold will be released soon - and they want to help their 100D customers get their cars as soon as possible. And if the hold isn't released, then the appointments will be cancelled, like what happened to us last week (and our DS has not rescheduled our appointment yet).

Not sure if the other Service Centers will be willing to do this.

We requested an inspection of our S 100D over the weekend (which looks great!). So that when we have the delivery scheduled, we'll only have to do a very quick inspection, and then move immediately to signing the paperwork and driving the car away - which could reduce our delivery down to 15 minutes, making it easy for us to quickly schedule delivery when the hold is eventually released. Depending upon our schedules at the time, it's possible the moment we hear the hold is released - we could ask for immediate delivery and pick up the car within a few minutes of getting the call...

I may be naive, but until I see indications Fremont has stopped producing 100D units, I figure things are not serious. Cars are not small or inexpensive items. Last month in the USA Tesla sold 2,550. While only a few are 100D units, it does not take many fill up a "dealer" lot. That said, I am not going to place my order for a 100D until this is resolved.

My opinion*** I don't think this is an EPA hold. I could be wrong. But I suspect new equipment.... I haven't seen or heard anything to back that statement up, just my opinion.

Thanks Erik
I hope your right. That would be a pleasant surprise. Or... maybe the performance numbers have changed? Does anyone here know if the P100D had better numbers than the P90D?

I hope your right. That would be a pleasant surprise. Or... maybe the performance numbers have changed? Does anyone here know if the P100D had better numbers than the P90D?

I was told straight out by Tesla that it was the EPA mileage rating. So unless they were lying that is what it is. They thought the rating would be done last Wednesday but it wasn't. So they cancelled my delivery for Friday the 3rd on the 2nd. So hopefully they get it quickly. I have had contact a couple of more times since then and they say they don't know when they will get the release.

I was told straight out by Tesla that it was the EPA mileage rating. So unless they were lying that is what it is. They thought the rating would be done last Wednesday but it wasn't. So they cancelled my delivery for Friday the 3rd on the 2nd. So hopefully they get it quickly. I have had contact a couple of more times since then and they say they don't know when they will get the release.
Thanks for clearing that up. Some of us are not getting that information. I guess it depends on the DS.

Thanks, that's good to know. We're waiting on a S100D right now that has finished production and has an estimated delivery range to Denver of March 12-26.

Reactions: DÆrik
MS 100D (every option EXCEPT rear facing seats) Obsidian Black 21" grey
2-7-17 6:27pm Thank you for your order
2-15-17 3:10am Your order has been confirmed
2-15-17 5:14am Order Confirmed. Preparing for Delivery
2-15-17 6:23am Your Tesla Has a VIN
2-27-17 Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory
3-2-17 9:00pm EST Your Tesla is currently in production
3-8-17 (email) Production is complete and your Tesla is being prepared for transit to your Delivery Center. We estimate that your vehicle will be ready for delivery between March 17, 2017 to March 31, 2017

Fingers crossed that the hold gets released soon for all of us.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Email from my DS:

Thank you for the email.

Yes, at the moment we are still awaiting for the homologation process to be complete by the EPA before releasing this new Model.

Not to worry, as your Tesla is still estimated to enter production shortly, and this will not delay any stage of production at all. We are told that we SHOULD be available to deliver these Model vehicles as early as this weekend, so timing wise, we should have all of the EPA items complete before yours enters production.

Thanks again, and I will keep you updated once your Tesla enters production!

I was told straight out by Tesla that it was the EPA mileage rating.

While I agree the hold appears to be due to a delay in getting the EPA mileage rating, even though Tesla staff in the Service Centers, stores, galleries and on phone support all try to be helpful, they don't always have access to accurate information - they haven't proven to be completely reliable information sources.

So there is still a possibility the hold may be due to some other factor.

What Tesla should do is send an official e-mail (not from the local DS, but from Tesla HQ) providing an explanation of why we are unable to purchase our 100Ds right now. If it really is a delay in getting the EPA range rating - why not disclose that to the customers waiting to spend money and buy cars?

While I agree the hold appears to be due to a delay in getting the EPA mileage rating, even though Tesla staff in the Service Centers, stores, galleries and on phone support all try to be helpful, they don't always have access to accurate information - they haven't proven to be completely reliable information sources.

So there is still a possibility the hold may be due to some other factor.

What Tesla should do is send an official e-mail (not from the local DS, but from Tesla HQ) providing an explanation of why we are unable to purchase our 100Ds right now. If it really is a delay in getting the EPA range rating - why not disclose that to the customers waiting to spend money and buy cars?

I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to pass on what info I had been told and hopefully everyone else will do the same. At least that way everyone will have as much info as possible so everyone is as informed as possible. I didn't know the cars might be released by this weekend as per the post above yours. I appreciate whatever info I can get.

Found the following information on the EPA page: https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/APPLICATION_HTSLV00.0L2X_FOIA.PDF

I'm waiting also take my S 100D home. I was suppose to have it delivered last Friday but a wheel was damaged. So, service center fixed the wheel on Monday to tell me that it's now on hold. Yeap, i'm in the same boat but they have my money because everything was completed. I'm giving them a week before pulling the plug. That said, i thought the link above was interesting because it did not have the 100S listed on the certification by EPA. So, maybe this EPA story is true. Just passing the word.