Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone regretted the color the chose enough to try trading in shortly after purchasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a blue MY and I regret it. I wish I got red. I'm wondering if anyone has ever owned a Tesla and realized you bought the wrong color and traded in/did something to get a different color? I almost wish I could just find someone to trade with.

Anyway, if I did end up selling and rebuying, what happens to the taxes/registration I already paid? Do I have to repay it? It would never make sense to sell, even if I could get what I paid for the car, if I have to repay taxes (8k).

My Model 3 SR+ is Red/White, hence the username. And it is a great color. Do not regret that. I don’t see many in that color combination.

My SR MY is White with Black. I was lucky enough to find a SR MY and got it shipped over to SoCal fast from TX. The only other colors they had was the MSM. Now, if I had my choice, I would’ve gotten black with the white seats. I’m thinking of having it wrapped down the road, maybe do a satin black or a glossy black, I don’t know yet. But I think the con with wrapping is it only last a few years and you have to fork over a few thousand to get a new color-scheme. I just may get it painted. Do I regret getting white? Not at all but if I had my choice, it would’ve been black with white seats.

I was on the fence on EVs, I bought a black MR with no test drive. I dig the car, but hated black because of how gross black cars look if they are not super clean.

I messaged the delivery team saying I wanted to pay to swap the car. They never responded.

6 months later, I traded it back to Tesla for a blue P3 stealth, which is exactly what I wanted. Tesla's trade number was fair. With the EV tax credit, I was only about $2000 out of pocket, plus the different in price.

I think blue is Tesla's best color. Try it out, it may grow on you. I don't know how it works in CO, but In Georgia you have to pay the full tax you would pay at a dealer, even if you are doing a private sale.

I was on the fence on EVs, I bought a black MR with no test drive. I dig the car, but hated black because of how gross black cars look if they are not super clean.

I messaged the delivery team saying I wanted to pay to swap the car. They never responded.

6 months later, I traded it back to Tesla for a blue P3 stealth, which is exactly what I wanted. Tesla's trade number was fair. With the EV tax credit, I was only about $2000 out of pocket, plus the different in price.

I think blue is Tesla's best color. Try it out, it may grow on you. I don't know how it works in CO, but In Georgia you have to pay the full tax you would pay at a dealer, even if you are doing a private sale.
That’s pretty lucky. Unfortunately the trade in value I got from tesla was 15k less than I paid 3 months ago and that doesn’t even consider the 8k in taxes :(
If you truly don't like the color then you could consider doing a vinyl wrap. It will probably cost way less than the amount of money you would lose on a trade and you would have the option of doing a custom color of you wanted.
I’ve thought about that but I feel like vinyl wraps are never that impressive in person. They always look like the color has no depth because it’s just a sheet of plastic. I may have to look at this option since 23k in a loss I’d definitely not worth a different color tho.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think that would be the dumbest reason ever to trade. Depends on your state and if you trade it to Tesla. In MA you only pay the taxes on the difference. But you have to trade into where your buying the new one.

Blue is one of my favorite Tesla colors on any Tesla. Probably my next Tesla will be blue. I don’t think Red would look good on a Model X, you rarely ever see one. I think that is likely for a Y as well. Plenty of S and 3’s in red.

You could get the car wrapped in a different color. I don’t think you can drastically change it because of little bits that don’t get covered. Like blue to black might be doable. I’m no expert on the matter but worth looking into.

Anyway, if I did end up selling and rebuying, what happens to the taxes/registration I already paid? Do I have to repay it? It would never make sense to sell, even if I could get what I paid for the car, if I have to repay taxes (8k).

If Colorado is like most states, you do get sales tax "credit" for the trade value portion when trading at the selling dealer/retailer e.g., if taxes are 7% and you’re buying a car for $60k without a trade, you’d pay $4,200 in sales tax (7% of $60k) but if you're buying a $60k car and have a $45k trade, you'd only pay $1,050 (7% of $60k - $45k).

While there would be some sales tax savings by trading at Tesla, you still also have the $15k loss in value. You could try shopping the car around to places like CarMax and Carvana but you then need to factor in the loss of the sales tax "credit." The other option is try to sell it yourself privately.

If you are willing to wait, there is proposed legislation that could bring back federal tax credits ($7k) for Teslas which would lower the price of a new Tesla but would also mean a lower trade value for your car; assuming Tesla doesn't raise the price on new equal to the credit.

Blue is the best color! I wanted blue but found a Grey M3 which is my second choice. I love it, but Blue would of made it little better. But totally happy with what I got especially the deal I got and features so gotta take it all into account.

I do get Red. Love that color too. Only thing to me is its a little more flashy then I like and I thought I read somewhere Red cars tend to get targeted more by cops. IDK you know how rumors are so maybe not true. Regardless. we all have our opinions and sadly regrets. Been there. I also do think if you give it time Blue will grow on you.

Hah.. blue was my first choice, but got the red because wife. I told her we could either waste money on the color or waste money on the wheels. She's a smart cookie; She opted for the color because she knows I'll eventually paint the wheels anyway! Gratuitous photo:
IMG_20210314_113212.jpg

If Colorado is like most states, you do get sales tax "credit" for the trade value portion when trading at the selling dealer/retailer e.g., if taxes are 7% and you’re buying a car for $60k without a trade, you’d pay $4,200 in sales tax (7% of $60k) but if you're buying a $60k car and have a $45k trade, you'd only pay $1,050 (7% of $60k - $45k).

While there would be some sales tax savings by trading at Tesla, you still also have the $15k loss in value. You could try shopping the car around to places like CarMax and Carvana but you then need to factor in the loss of the sales tax "credit." The other option is try to sell it yourself privately.

If you are willing to wait, there is proposed legislation that could bring back federal tax credits ($7k) for Teslas which would lower the price of a new Tesla but would also mean a lower trade value for your car; assuming Tesla doesn't raise the price on new equal to the credit.
Yeah idk. I'm thinking getting a wrap is going to be the most economical. If legislation comes out for Tesla everything will drop unless Tesla increases the cost of the cars which I doubt they will. MYP is 73k now. I can't imagine it selling for 80k+ before incentives but who knows.

Blue is the best color! I wanted blue but found a Grey M3 which is my second choice. I love it, but Blue would of made it little better. But totally happy with what I got especially the deal I got and features so gotta take it all into account.

I do get Red. Love that color too. Only thing to me is its a little more flashy then I like and I thought I read somewhere Red cars tend to get targeted more by cops. IDK you know how rumors are so maybe not true. Regardless. we all have our opinions and sadly regrets. Been there. I also do think if you give it time Blue will grow on you.
My old car was red and my license plate is ketchup. I dunno why I didn't get red. I knew when I made the order I kind of liked red but wanted something new and now I just feel weird with my license plate on a blue car.

Reactions: IChillinz
If you truly don't like the color then you could consider doing a vinyl wrap. It will probably cost way less than the amount of money you would lose on a trade and you would have the option of doing a custom color of you wanted.
A wrap is a great choice for not liking a color. I personally have white and I feel like white is the ONLy color to get in a car.

Reactions: APotatoGod and ArtK
It just seems like you're going to have to pony up a lot of money just to switch colors. You WILL have to sell your current car at a loss, and repay all the taxes/registration (speaking simply from a California state). No one is going to purchase your used MYP above retail just because you want to recoup all the taxes and fees. I will never buy a used MYP for 70k. I'd rather buy a new MYP at 61k + tax + registration.