TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has your Tesla ever been in the rain?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Old Man Mike, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Over 6 months with my P90D and it has not yet seen a drop a rain. But that is not long compared to some Corvette owners I know which have gone more than a decade without the car ever being out in the rain.

To be fair, we treat our Tesla special as a fun around-town car. It's never been on an overnight road trip nor has it ever been on a super charger. It is a spoiled and pampered car but SO much fun to drive. My wife and I are in our early 60's and call the Tesla our "not dead yet" car.

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

Being from Washington, where our state flower is mildew, I can say yes... Yes it has.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Yes once a speck of rain did graze the rear querter panel. It's was quite the nerve racking experience for me and the countess, but as soon as we had returned to the castle I had one of my men dry the car off with some satin sheets.

• Funny x 17
  4. championi

championi Member

Hahah nice, my P90D unfortunately lives outside. No garage for it. In fact it's sitting the rain right now down here in Sydney. Although it's not totally unprotected, it does have paint protection and a wrap on it.
    Thank God for that!

5. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

That was so funny I really did lol, even after the second reading.

• Like x 1
  6. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I've had my car a little less than two weeks and I think 2/3 to 3/4 of my driving has been in the rain. Coming back from Olympia last Friday I ran into such heavy rain autopilot wouldn't work.

Saturday we have a veterinary emergency and my SO drove while I held the cat. She was giving a running commentary about how the Model S behaved in the rain vs her Impreza. She thought the Impreza was a tad better, but thought it might be the tires which are Goodyears.

7. jdb

jdb Member

Yes. In December 2012 was a major rainstorm, found that our Sig MS with its very low center of gravity was best handling car have ever driven in hard rain. Now with over 43,000 miles and still driving great find it still to be true, though our Model X delivered last month with its even greater weight and wider stance probably even better handling in rain.

• Like x 1
  8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes and snow and hail. The car has done very well and after all it is just a car.

• Like x 2
  9. Johan

"After all it is just a car." He said, with a certain dry, MarlboroMan-esque manor.

• Like x 1
  10. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

We get in excess of 60" of rain per year here so, yes, it goes in the rain...

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Lives outside, gets rained on frequently. Has 70K miles in 3.3 years, about half of which are vacation trip miles. Runs like new. Just drive it, it's the best road trip car ever.

12. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

My MS has gone thru some rain, and I was anxious to get it back home and wash it. There is some dirt on the back now that looks most unsightly - needs a wash again.

But here's a related question: the Tesla owner's manual advises against using a glass treatment on windshield (Rain-X or equiv.), :
    Caution: Do not use windshield treatment
    fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper
    friction and cause a chattering sound.

However, when driving in rain I have noticed that it is quite hard to see, even with wipers on high.

Has anyone had experience with using Rain-X? Is it more of an issue with Tesla due to type of rubber in blades, or ...?

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think you are depriving yourself of the deep enjoyment received when driving a Tesla on a long distance trip. And I fail to see how having a car come into contact with water is a problem.

Now that I have experienced the pleasures of driving a quality long distance EV like a Tesla (there are no competitors) I don't want to drive anything else. So of course I had to get another Tesla, and I have not driven an ICE car or purchased any gasoline since October 2014. Sure I might occasionally have to drive an ICE in an emergency situation, or maybe as a rental, but I won't do it unless I really have to. ICE cars represent antiquated technology. It's time to move on and embrace the future...

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. Johan

This is how you win the car market Tesla style: from top (luxury) down (mass market).

15. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Rain, snow, sleet, deserts, mountains, coasts...
    I would never want to drive any car that didn't have an electric drive.
    Although, if hail is a possibility we would drive our S before driving our X (if we drive at all).

16. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Just a car? Just a car?

• Funny x 2
  17. kort677

kort677 Active Member

some people buy their cars, pamper them, make them garage queens, good for them. I buy my cars because I use them as they were intended to be used, which is driven. when my second tesla was a month old I drove it to CO in the winter, rain, snow and icy conditions for a 6 weeks. the car was caked in a sheen of mud. a good cleaning upon my return to FLA and it was as good as new. I am not going to be so arrogant to say what you're doing is wrong, but if the car is SO much fun to drive, as you say, then I would drive the darned car and enjoy it to the max.

• Love x 1
  18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I use Chemical Guys windshield cleaner. It appears to work like Rain-X but never causes a wiper problem (in three years). I hardly ever have to turn on the wipers. You do have to buff it quite a bit to remove the streaks, so use something else on the inside glass.

19. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

I live in New England, and my 90D is my daily driver, so yes.

If only controlling the weather was as easy as time travel.

20. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

How does the aluminum hold-up with hail?