Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch or Notch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting they haven't done any winter testing no this design yet. Imagine having some snow on the rear window or trunk. Open the trunk and the snow falls onto the glass...which then falls/slides into the trunk.

Looks like I'll probably be getting an S instead as I need more cargo flexibility that is available with a hatch/liftback.

Reactions: dlv1984
Did anyone at the event get photos of the frunk? In general, I'm very curious as to how the cargo capacity will compare with our 2010 Prius, the car that we are continuing to use for road trips until we get a Tesla. We'll probably still buy a used Model S, partly for its roominess, but I reserved a Model 3 in an attempt to keep our options open. Or maybe we'll buy both. :)

Ce7oRJeWAAAsKjU.jpg:large

That's a nice sized frunk! Bigger than I thought it would be. The trunk looks fine to me. Looks like an awesome car. The performance version is probably going to be funner to drive than the Model S. And maybe more range too (at least until the S gets another range boost). Man, I just got my X, does this mean I have yet another cycle of can't wait for the 3? :-0

It's not a 100% instant deal breaker for me (since my current car also has a trunk), but I would have greatly preferred a hatch like the Model S.

I don't really care for the panoramic glass (and I hope it is an option as it looks like it will easily roast the rear passengers without adding some heavy tint to the back).

If it is a trunk, I hope the production version has a much bigger opening. The current one looks tiny, following the trend of more recent cars having tiny trunk openings. I will have to evaluate as the car nears production and see it in person to judge if it is a deal breaker.

I can see it being a huge deal breaker for people in Europe though. I think this was a bad design decision overall.

Last edited:
wow. I'm kinda shocked at this one. A sedan is a sedan, but everyone loves the hatchback design of the Model S.

I won't cancel, and I'm overall impressed. But I really wish it were a hatchback. I saw the two seems, a two stage lift would be cool. But after the gullwings, I doubt they would engineer something complicated. Especially at the 3's price point. Guess, that is what a Model Y is for? Bring on the 3 AND Y!

I think all the prototypes were dual motor so the picture above is typical of what the frunk size will be. Schematics of the car shown during the reveal show the motor is tucked in there pretty tight.

Okay, so can somebody clarify what we are looking at in that picture of the frunk? Is that object in the middle the enclosure for the front motor? Or is that a bag or something placed in there to show how much space there is?

wow. I'm kinda shocked at this one. A sedan is a sedan, but everyone loves the hatchback design of the Model S.

I won't cancel, and I'm overall impressed. But I really wish it were a hatchback. I saw the two seems, a two stage lift would be cool. But after the gullwings, I doubt they would engineer something complicated. Especially at the 3's price point. Guess, that is what a Model Y is for? Bring on the 3 AND Y!

I'm in the same camp as you. I would have loved a hatchback, but a sedan will do just fine for me.

I think the weight of the glass would be more of a concern than the complexity of the opening mechanism. it could be a simple hinge/pivot point where the two pieces of glass meet on the roof, but those gas lifting cylinders would have a heck of a time holding that weight up and in the cold it would be worse

Okay, so can somebody clarify what we are looking at in that picture of the frunk? Is that object in the middle the enclosure for the front motor? Or is that a bag or something placed in there to show how much space there is?
Are you talking about the item with a handle inside the front? I'm pretty sure that is just a bag to show the size.

I bet the rear hatch didn't work yet. They probably had a single piece of glass made for the prototype - therefore the rear hatch (not trunk) didn't open yet.

What would be really cool is if you could remove all of that glass....but then again those people in the back seat would be eating a lot of bugs.

I bet the rear hatch didn't work yet. They probably had a single piece of glass made for the prototype - therefore the rear hatch (not trunk) didn't open yet.

What would be really cool is if you could remove all of that glass....but then again those people in the back seat would be eating a lot of bugs.

But my dog would love it! ha! I can just see his nose and ears flapping in the air with a big grin on his face.