Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatchback vs Liftback

Hatchback vs Liftback

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dec 22, 2014
UK
Which would you prefer

Hatchback
2010-vw-gtd-golf-diesel-hatchback.jpg

or
Liftback
tesla-s-back-seats.jpg

or other such as station wagon or normal sedan etc.

I voted Liftback as I love the MS shape and it's quite in vogue at the moment, witness the Audi A7/S7, BMW Gran Coupes, etc. I also think it's a perfect mix of style and practicality and lends itself to good aero numbers. Second choice would be a true wagon (not some truncated hatch shape) as they have a certain cool factor all their own.

I wonder if the hatchback allows for higher seat position and roof height.

Generally if it has a higher roof it is considered a CUV or MPV (like the Bolt). A hatchback usually has the same height as a sedan.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think all sedans should have liftbacks. It just makes much better use of the interior space for storage. Tesla did the right thing with Model S and I'm sure Model 3 will have the same thing.

I agree. I hate trunks.

Finally decided on liftback because all the other moderately priced EVs such as bolt, leaf, Mercedes B, zoe, SoulEV, are all hatchback so it would be good to have a sedan in their price range so the public don't think you can only get EVs in hatchback, it will change their perception.

Liftback is sexier to me.

Agree. But I find a hatchback/wagon more practical.

I also drive a hatch and *love* them so I am curious, what do you find is a hindrance with yours?

Me too. Hatchback/wagons are roughly square right to the back and can accommodate taller items in the back. If the Model S were a hatchback, the third-row seats may have accommodated adults.