Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I done the right thing? New LR vs s/h Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread amended for clarity

Just ordered a 3LR on company lease, delivery June.

Looking forward to my first Tesla!

But have I done the right thing?
My mind is now wandering to a used P on Autotrader... Prices look reasonable for a one year old with min miles, still with warranty. I've always had fast cars, currently in an Audi S4 with 410hp...

So a new 2021 3LR on lease?
Or a 2020 3P second hand? More power, better brakes, bigger wheels....

Last edited by a moderator:

My mind is now wandering to a used P on Autotrader... Prices look reasonable for a one year old with min miles, still with warranty. I've always had fast cars, currently in an Audi S4 with 410hp...

The fact that a car has been changed after a year would worry me ... there are plenty of good reasons, no doubt, but there's also the possibility that the previous owner had unresolved issues with the car.

The 3LR is plenty fast. I went for it for the longer range and smoother ride. There have been quite a few updates in the last year (heated steering wheel, new centre console, heat pump.) I would go with the new car myself.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a 2021 3LR in terms of power, and there's always the Acceleration Boost you can add to give you essentially close to 3P performance.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to how much you care about performance, and how much cheaper the 2020 3P is. Presumably a company lease is pretty good anyway with BIK? How would the 2020 3P be financed?

There are also a number of changes between an incoming 2021 3LR and existing 2020 3P, some are to taste and others are arguably significant - e.g. heatpump.

I would go with the brand new 3LR. It will destroy your S4 on performance, both in outright power and instant response. By the time your S4 engine has opened its throttle, sucked in some air and had to change down a couple of gears, you will be 10 car lengths down the road in the 3. Sure the 3P is even faster again, but mostly at low speed, especially off the start line. But once you get above 50 mph there really isn't much difference between a P and LR. If your lease allows you to add accel boost to the LR, then the performance is even closer to a P.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a 2021 3LR in terms of power, and there's always the Acceleration Boost you can add to give you essentially close to 3P performance.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to how much you care about performance, and how much cheaper the 2020 3P is. Presumably a company lease is pretty good anyway with BIK? How would the 2020 3P be financed?

There are also a number of changes between an incoming 2021 3LR and existing 2020 3P, some are to taste and others are arguably significant - e.g. heatpump.
Thanks. I guess I am looking at purchasing a 2020 3P for around £48k - I can use existing company funds and a cheap loan (2.5%), to finance it.... Writing down allowance versus the lease costs are pretty similar from a corp tax saving point of view.

BIK same on both.

The 3LR is plenty fast. I went for it for the longer range and smoother ride. There have been quite a few updates in the last year (heated steering wheel, new centre console, heat pump.) I would go with the new car myself.
Thanks. That what was I was leaning to hence the lease order... But now not so sure.

One thing that did concern me was that the brakes on the 3LR just didn't feel up to it. But I'm also not sure whether that's because they weren't heated up on the short test drive.... or whether I was just driving like a loon. Or both...

The fact that a car has been changed after a year would worry me ... there are plenty of good reasons, no doubt, but there's also the possibility that the previous owner had unresolved issues with the car.

Always a worry with buying a car second hand... Although it'd still be in warranty and I'd be looking at buying from a reputable dealer....

Thanks. I guess I am looking at purchasing a 2020 3P for around £48k - I can use existing company funds and a cheap loan (2.5%), to finance it.... Writing down allowance versus the lease costs are pretty similar from a corp tax saving point of view.

BIK same on both.
Well, as a 2020 3P owner I'm slightly biased, but I would find it very hard to rationalise the cost of a 3P now vs a LR, particularly one with the Acceleration Boost addon. Only man maths "must have fastest version" would justify it.

It sounds as if you'd basically be spending about the same for both cars, and if you're happy with the speed of your S4 (as has been said the LR will be faster and feel a lot faster too due to the instant torque) then you're getting several upgrades in the newer car essentially for free.

Reactions: pow216

Out of curiosity, did you request delivery in June or, was that the date you were given?

I would go with the brand new 3LR. It will destroy your S4 on performance, both in outright power and instant response. By the time your S4 engine has opened its throttle, sucked in some air and had to change down a couple of gears, you will be 10 car lengths down the road in the 3. Sure the 3P is even faster again, but mostly at low speed, especially off the start line. But once you get above 50 mph there really isn't much difference between a P and LR. If your lease allows you to add accel boost to the LR, then the performance is even closer to a P.
To be fair it'll destroy the S4 in a 0-60 race not performance. It'd be a lot more interesting round a track, the S4 would be quite a bit lighter and probably have better suspension and brakes. Sorry to be picky but EV drivers need to stop equating performance to acceleration time. We all know it's our part trick and we all know it's only one facet of performance.

Thanks. That what was I was leaning to hence the lease order... But now not so sure.

One thing that did concern me was that the brakes on the 3LR just didn't feel up to it. But I'm also not sure whether that's because they weren't heated up on the short test drive.... or whether I was just driving like a loon. Or both...

Brakes are fine on mine and they get well tested! Demo car probably had glazed pads from lack of proper use.

To be fair it'll destroy the S4 in a 0-60 race not performance. It'd be a lot more interesting round a track, the S4 would be quite a bit lighter and probably have better suspension and brakes. Sorry to be picky but EV drivers need to stop equating performance to acceleration time. We all know it's our part trick and we all know it's only one facet of performance.
Sure, I agree with that. They are different beasts.

The 3LR certainly felt quicker.. but it's going to due to that instant torque and power, whereas the 3.0L V6 does take time to spool up!

So yes 0-60 I'm sure the 3LR would win... into silly speeds the legs of the V6 would then take over...

But the standard brakes and handling on the S4 are definitely better.

Reactions: Neilio
Ahh same situation as me, although I've yet to order. Too busy wondering if contract hire prices are likely to stay the same for a bit or, go up!

I've leased for the past 10 years or so... Didn't manage to grab a great deal on the 3LR but happy with the price I'm paying.

Looked for a while and decided to "lock in" a half decent price as saw they were starting to inch up. Interestingly, I got the lease co to agree to pass on any price decreases if that was to happen... but similarly I am locked in to current price now should it go up. So effectively a call option on the current price. And if I was to cancel then its £150 fee after tax...

It does seem to be, that with the BiK changes, there is now a good level of demand for EV's - which negates the need for finance houses to offer such good deals (or even that they will be able to source cars at a discount that allows them to offer deals).

And then this last week we've seen the 3P go up in price as well as tow hitch option etc. ...

I know where you are coming from, but don't underestimate how good the Model 3 handles. Especially on a slippery road with its electric traction control. It's so much more sophisticated than ICE in that respect. Obviously for track driving you would want the 3P for its stiffer suspension, bigger brakes and track mode. But the LR can easily keep up with anything on a public road.

I know where you are coming from, but don't underestimate how good the Model 3 handles. Especially on a slippery road with its electric traction control. It's so much more sophisticated than ICE in that respect. Obviously for track driving you would want the 3P for its stiffer suspension, bigger brakes and track mode. But the LR can easily keep up with anything on a public road.

Thanks. Yeah the limitations of a test drive I guess.... you only really get a feel for a car after a few thousand miles in my opinion.