Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have we all been played by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its actually really simple, they produce based on statistics, and yes initial customer orders, but the only real physical option you are getting is "color" and wheels... for RWD version that is, now it will be more complicated.... they were racing to get the line up to 5000 a week.... your order comes in, and they look at the existing pool and see if there is a match, bing you get a vin, if not they throw it into the production cue... deliveries are delayed until July in the US for the magic 200k number... for the tax rebate...
there are several stories of getting a vin in less than a week 2 guys at my work alone got a vin within 5 days....

It’s the end of the quarter and thus Tesla needs the money.

Business 101.
Taking a deposit is one thing... and I agree with that premise but giving the recent folks who configured their order a delivery before many of us that have received no vin and no delivery is ridiculous and has nothing to do with $ because whether it’s me or you, they will get paid when they deliver our cars... I’m even local to the Bay Area and was supposed to get my car in june which ends tomorrow!

Reactions: C141medic and dm33
I suspect that the higher you option the car, the faster you will get it. Reservations order has nothing to do with it. Tesla wants the most cash it can get. Thanks for the loan, you early reservation holders.

I really hope Elon addresses the quality of reservations. How many are cancelling and how many are converting to orders.

• Disagree
Reactions: MissyMcBee
I suspect that the higher you option the car, the faster you will get it. Reservations order has nothing to do with it. Tesla wants the most cash it can get. Thanks for the loan, you early reservation holders.

I really hope Elon addresses the quality of reservations. How many are cancelling and how many are converting to orders.
Nope... sounds logical but not the case

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
It would hardly be logical for Tesla to actively discriminate against long term reservation holders. Sure they may get to keep your $1000 free loan (Worth about $70 a year) for a bit longer but at the cost of you possibly canceling your order.

Tell that to people that have been waiting 10 weeks. Not true.
yes 2 months ago is not the same as the past few weeks... also your delivery like many has been delayed most likely for the tax credit... and again depends on what you ordered and when... clear evidence though that in the past few weeks if you order now a LR PUP RWD you can get it by end of july... but that is probably also going to be short lived... as they ramp up AWD and P models now

2 years ago Tesla had no idea how they manufacturing process would play out or even the demand for the model 3.

In order to efficiently produce the volume of cars, they have no alternative other than taking in a very large chunk of orders and knocking them out.

I don't think anyone tried to misrepresent. They just didn't know how to handle production on a larger scale

Reactions: M109Rider
It’s the end of the quarter and thus Tesla needs the money.

Business 101.

You're missing the point. Entirely. Not even close.

I don't think anyone tried to misrepresent. They just didn't know how to handle production on a larger scale

That doesn't explain why newer reservations get their car ahead of those who booked 2 years ago.

I was a day one reservation holder and just asked for a refund. After the floodgates opened I’m not sure why I need one anymore.
I’ll let the dust settle and actually option the car how I want it. Or get a used Model S/X.
(Slumming in a used Leaf I bought the day I reserved. 25k miles later...)
At least I earned my 2% cash back from my credit card on the original grand!

You're missing the point. Entirely. Not even close.

That doesn't explain why newer reservations get their car ahead of those who booked 2 years ago.

Well, my guess is they are balancing the stock they have, geographical locations, tax credits, cash orders vs financing orders, share holder expectations, and likely several other factors we may or may not be aware of.
Clearly they want to adhere to the original waiting list, but other factors that have come into play over the last 2 years are factored in now.

That’s life. Not saying it makes it any easier to swallow, but that’s the drill.
There are now a ton of threads with the exact same complaint. Yikes.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I was a day one reservation holder and just asked for a refund. After the floodgates opened I’m not sure why I need one anymore.
I’ll let the dust settle and actually option the car how I want it. Or get a used Model S/X.

What is the refund process now, I will be doing the same today. This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me, I'm out and done with this company.

Reactions: adaptabl

Do they provided checks? If your refund goes back to the same credit card, your cash back balance will decrease by 2%.

But you will loose the 2% on the refund.

its actually really simple, they produce based on statistics, and yes initial customer orders, but the only real physical option you are getting is "color" and wheels... for RWD version that is, now it will be more complicated.... they were racing to get the line up to 5000 a week.... your order comes in, and they look at the existing pool and see if there is a match, bing you get a vin, if not they throw it into the production cue... deliveries are delayed until July in the US for the magic 200k number... for the tax rebate...
there are several stories of getting a vin in less than a week 2 guys at my work alone got a vin within 5 days....
^This is the correct answer. They make RWD Model 3s in batches by color and wheel, and they've been stockpiling them, and they need to unload them ASAP to the first configurer, so if you pick the right combo you get instant VIN, and if you pick the wrong combo you'll have to wait--possibly until they rotate to making your particular configuration. That much is known. Mild speculation: there is no queue anymore based on reservation date. Now it's a free-for-all to fill actual orders as they come, within the constraints above.

I don't have a problem with that. Shrug.