Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have we all been played by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars people are getting days after ordering are cars rejected by other customers and/or damaged in transport. They usually have much lower VIN numbers.

Can't agree with mis-info....

I got assigned (today) on a Midnight Silver/RWD/LR/PUP/EAP/FSD/18" - VIN#258XX - Manufacture Date 5/18.

Delivery is 7/17/18.... So, it would appear that it was stockpiled somewhere.

Reactions: eCharcoal
Not sure why everyone is trying to read tea leaves when no one really knows if its even a tea tree.

There is a big ass question mark between when you put down a deposit compared to when the car is in the garage.

Only "line cutting" going on is those with highest priced trims. Don't think I can order a RWD First Production and beat anyone who wanted that same car.

Reactions: M109Rider
Has Tesla released any public statement or has Elon said anything since the US floodgates opened up? At this point, what I REALLY want to know is - (a) Is production effort shifting to the higher cost vehicle? and (b) does reservation date still count for anything?!

Not sure why everyone is trying to read tea leaves when no one really knows if its even a tea tree.

There is a big ass question mark between when you put down a deposit compared to when the car is in the garage.

Only "line cutting" going on is those with highest priced trims. Don't think I can order a RWD First Production and beat anyone who wanted that same car.

Might be good for you to read up and be better informed .. that is exactly what has happened.

Reactions: MXWing
Reservation date no longer matters. Unless they do some limited roll out with the SR battery, I don't think its going to ever matter again. Its first to configure, first to take delivery now. This is a good thing. I see people upset everywhere that they are getting leapfrogged...If you are upset, get in and configure your vehicle. There are a few factors that are in play for who are going to get VIN's first:

- Configuring and placing your order
- Stock in your area
- Matching your exact order with what is stockpiled in region/area

That is why you are seeing people who have reserved in April 2018 taking delivery next week.

Reactions: Dr. J
Can't agree with mis-info....

I got assigned (today) on a Midnight Silver/RWD/LR/PUP/EAP/FSD/18" - VIN#258XX - Manufacture Date 5/18.

Delivery is 7/17/18.... So, it would appear that it was stockpiled somewhere.
It sounds like your car is a rework. I think people have had cars with later build dates already delivered.
The question is are there people with earlier order dates and reservation dates that are getting their car after you?

Reservation date no longer matters.
I disagree. If we assume Tesla held deliveries for 2-4 weeks in June to maximize rebates, then they have a limited supply of vehicles stocked around the country. Once that inventory is depleted, production will again be run as a batched build-to-order queue. Tesla will use res date + config date to build the production batches. There is no reason not to. They will most likely prioritize higher value batches, but that is no different that the LR over SR priority that existed until now.

There are a few factors that are in play for who are going to get VIN's first:

- Configuring and placing your order
- Stock in your area
- Matching your exact order with what is stockpiled in region/area

That is why you are seeing people who have reserved in April 2018 taking delivery next week.
YES, but only for the limited supply in the field--maybe as little as 2 weeks of production.

Just cancelled, for folks who don't know how (since they removed the button a while ago) Login and click on Manage, then there is a cancel reservation link, Debit Card is the fastest, 1-3 days, check is slowest (months). All the best to the folks waiting and Tesla, I DO hope they succeed.

So you wait more than two years, then Tesla opens up the configurator to US and Canada, one person (or maybe even a handful) get delivery dates when they just reserved recently, and you cancel? Did I miss something here? In no way does that indicate that they won't still prioritize deliveries in reservation order (or something close to that).

Yes, I've seen the speculation about config, location, etc., I just don't get why anyone would snap-cancel until we have some sort of definitive answer, but to each their own.

Might be good for you to read up and be better informed .. that is exactly what has happened.

There are mitigating circumstances that are not meant to personally screw you.

Logistics wise it doesnt make sense to send something to Vancouver when someone in Fremont wants the same car and they can get it to that person to add to Q2 numbers.

It is always possible that it's just a complete amateur hour *sugar* show at Tesla but I think I would lean towards more intelligence when burning 9000/min.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Why did we reserve 2+ years ago and hand over $1k in interest free loan to Tesla

*rubs eyes* are we really complaining abooot $20 of interest? I don't even want the car until January 2019, and I still put a deposit after filtering their production targets through my Elon Correction Matrix(tm), and I'll probably be just about right, given I have a 4 month estimate on my order, and I'd still like ludicrous mode which hasn't even been announced yet.

Reactions: skitown
*rubs eyes* are we really complaining abooot $20 of interest? I don't even want the car until January 2019, and I still put a deposit after filtering their production targets through my Elon Correction Matrix(tm), and I'll probably be just about right, given I have a 4 month estimate on my order, and I'd still like ludicrous mode which hasn't even been announced yet.

*rubs eyes* back

It's the cumulative *we*, which is more than $20 (did you really not get that?) :rolleyes:

Everyone is getting their damn car before end of this year after the production ramps up. I don't know what's the fuss with giving everyone ability to configure. Configuration invite was limited because the production was low

Clearly, you are missing the point. This is most certainly not what's the fuss is all about.

• Disagree
Reactions: AWDtsla
Let's step back a second... We seem to know some things...

1 - Tesla has held back us deliveries to extend the tax rebate. They won't say this of course, but it's pretty clear based on a ton of factors.

2 - Demand for the LR RWD trim level is somewhat limited. I feel like somewhere I heard it was about 10% of the orders that took them up on this. If it is half a million orders, that's 50,000.

3 - Tesla has manufactured somewhere around 30-40,000 LR RWD versions of the car.

With all that, opening up the LR to everyone to preorder doesn't seem that crazy. Maybe they had invited 300,000 people to order them and this was just the last 100,000 or so people.

Then, if production capacity is really at 5k per week, until the end of the year they can fill 130,000 cars. It may be that their data from when they opened the configurator at first was that they will sell less than that. If so, why not let everyone start ordering them? They will clear out the LR RWD versions quickly, and then can prioritize AWD however it makes sense.

They can then prioritize the rest of the deliveries when they know how many there are.

As for the whole theory that they will never make the Sr versions, remember that the bottleneck was in battery manufacturing. Setting up the SR battery line probably got pushed down the priority list as they wanted to make sure they had the LR capacity working first. I bet they'll clear the demand for the LR trims near the end of this year and then focus on those.

No conspiracy, just bad timing of delivery delays due to "shipping issues" (aka tax rebate gamesmanship) followed by a high manufacturing rate to satisfy demand. It looks bad, but I don't think it's meant as a slap in the face to anyone.

*rubs eyes* back

It's the cumulative *we*, which is more than $20 (did you really not get that?) :rolleyes:

No I'm very familiar with extremely cheap people, I didn't miss a thing. Why I don't I give you distraction. You pay a 5% premium for every credit card purchase you make, even though you never see it on your receipt. I'm sure your head blew off your shoulders so that should be the end of this conversation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B
The cars people are getting days after ordering are cars rejected by other customers and/or damaged in transport. They usually have much lower VIN numbers.
So you wait more than two years, then Tesla opens up the configurator to US and Canada, one person (or maybe even a handful) get delivery dates when they just reserved recently, and you cancel? Did I miss something here? In no way does that indicate that they won't still prioritize deliveries in reservation order (or something close to that).

Yes, I've seen the speculation about config, location, etc., I just don't get why anyone would snap-cancel until we have some sort of definitive answer, but to each their own.

He was going to cancel anyway. This was just an excuse.
No one would do that because someone bud in line.
Not for a car.
A coffee at Starbucks maybe. Not even then.

Reactions: webdbbt