Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have we all been played by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did we reserve 2+ years ago and hand over $1k in interest free loan to Tesla while folks who reserved less than a month ago are able to configure their cars while our estimates show Sep-Nov?

Shouldn't Tesla prioritize deliveries based on when the initial reservation was done? This is so bizarre.

:mad:
Short answer: yes.
At least it's not a Bernie Madoff level scam. ;)

You're missing the point. Entirely. Not even close.

That doesn't explain why newer reservations get their car ahead of those who booked 2 years ago.
Did you hear anything yet? Vin?/delivery?? Curious...
Nothing yet. I am just glad July is near. I selected Fremont as my delivery location so about 2.5 hours away which I would be happy to do.

How about you?

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

As others have pointed out, I think LR PUP demand in the US/Canda is dwindling. There is no indication that reservation date won't be used for AWD. Even if it isn't, the hardcore Tesla enthusiasts that check their account/twitter/forums every day are the ones that will have ordered first. We're probably talking a matter of a couple weeks (if that) that someone may have jumped ahead of you.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and DR61
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

As others have pointed out, I think LR PUP demand in the US/Canda is dwindling. There is no indication that reservation date won't be used for AWD. Even if it isn't, the hardcore Tesla enthusiasts that check their account/twitter/forums every day are the ones that will have ordered first. We're probably talking a matter of a couple weeks (if that) that someone may have jumped ahead of you.

Last I checked, it was more than a couple of weeks between "1-2 days after the launch event" and "early May 2018".

Do you see what the fuss is all about now? :(

I think its dwindling because they have sold a lot of cars. How many Model 3s have been sold so far? I don't think they are anywhere near being able to meet demand. How long would it take a non-Tesla non-reservation holder to get a Model 3 if they ordered today?[/QUOTE]

2 months, based on what we know so far. Folks who reserved in early May are getting the car in early July.

Last I checked, it was more than a couple of weeks between "1-2 days after the launch event" and "early May 2018".

Do you see what the fuss is all about now? :(

I don't understand your point. Of course, someone that orders the car now is going to receive it a lot faster than it took us.

My point is that people are probably arguing about a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that everyone who was waiting for their invite in this thread has now configured. Let's say they sent out 100k invites. 20k would take a month to fill. Do you really think more than 20k configured in the past 48 hours? My guess is no. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Koflach
Why did we reserve 2+ years ago and hand over $1k in interest free loan to Tesla while folks who reserved less than a month ago are able to configure their cars while our estimates show Sep-Nov?

Shouldn't Tesla prioritize deliveries based on when the initial reservation was done? This is so bizarre.

Have we all been played by Tesla?
YES YES YES

I don't understand your point. Of course, someone that orders the car now is going to receive it a lot faster than it took us.

My point is that people are probably arguing about a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that everyone who was waiting for their invite in this thread has now configured. Let's say they sent out 100k invites. 20k would take a month to fill. Do you really think more than 20k configured in the past 48 hours? My guess is no. Maybe I'm wrong.

C'mon man ... you can't be that naive.

Are you saying folks who reserved the car in May 2018 should receive it ahead of those who did it in Apr 2016? :rolleyes: Because this is what is happening to some people.

Are you saying folks who reserved the car in May 2018 should receive it ahead of those who did it in Apr 2016? :rolleyes: Because this is what is happening to some people.

Do you not have the option to design your Model 3?

I assuming you did at some point. If so, when did you lock in your $2500?

There’s has to be more to this than what is being let on.

I never said ahead; I said faster.

Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would get their car in the exact order. That isn't feasible. There are a lot of factors going into who is getting their car and when; I'm sure of that. The biggest factor probably being that Tesla is losing billions of dollars.

^This is the correct answer. They make RWD Model 3s in batches by color and wheel, and they've been stockpiling them, and they need to unload them ASAP to the first configurer, so if you pick the right combo you get instant VIN, and if you pick the wrong combo you'll have to wait--possibly until they rotate to making your particular configuration. That much is known. Mild speculation: there is no queue anymore based on reservation date. Now it's a free-for-all to fill actual orders as they come, within the constraints above.

I don't have a problem with that. Shrug.
Yours is the most reasonable explanation I’ve seen to date.

People on here who reserved post 4/1/2016 that are complaining about getting their 3 sooner than later crack me up.

Huh? Nobody is complaining about getting it sooner. It's the other way around.

Do you not have the option to design your Model 3?

I assuming you did at some point. If so, when did you lock in your $2500?

There’s has to be more to this than what is being let on.

June 27

Answer for the OP of first page:

Reviewing history, this was used to prepare for the financial market-conditions needed to save Solar City in June, 2016.

SolarCity stock soars 15% on $2.8 billion Tesla bid; TSLA plunges

The big reservation burst and hyped-news of "500,000 cars in 2018 vs. 2020" allowed a very direct go-to-market move to handle saving Solar City from a really bad situation in their finances as installations were waning and the stock was under pressure. The plan worked. Maybe too good. Factory wasn't able to really start building cars until late 2017, long after a promise of 100,000-200,000 in H2 of 2017. The tent recently erected is more of a "we have to make-good at least half-way on claims we made in 2016..."

Thanks for helping Tesla absorb the Solar City shares (primarily Musk's) and running them up again in value. Remember, too, that the big talk about "starting at $35k"... And now, they have to wait to produce it because Elon says it would hurt the company and pressure it further financially. Solar City's internal debt load is still big and Tesla has a "wall" between that entity and itself and has an option, if they decide to, to default on Solar City debts to cure that. We have to wait and see how that plays out as the debt matures.

Last edited:
Answer for the OP of first page:

Reviewing history, this was used to prepare for the financial market-conditions needed to save Solar City in June, 2016.

SolarCity stock soars 15% on $2.8 billion Tesla bid; TSLA plunges

The big reservation burst and hyped-news of "500,000 cars in 2018 vs. 2020" allowed a very direct go-to-market move to handle saving Solar City from a really bad situation in their finances as installations were waning and the stock was under pressure. The plan worked. Maybe too good. Factory wasn't able to really start building cars until late 2017, long after a promise of 100,000-200,000 in H2 of 2017. The tent recently erected is more of a "we have to make-good at least half-way on claims we made in 2016..."

Thanks for helping Tesla absorb the Solar City shares (primarily Musk's) and running them up again in value. Remember, too, that the big talk about "starting at $35k"... And now, they have to wait to produce it because Elon says it would hurt the company and pressure it further financially. Solar City's internal debt load is still big and Tesla has a "wall" between that entity and itself and has an option, if they decide to, to default on Solar City debts to cure that. We have to wait and see how that plays out as the debt matures.

Not sure what this has to do with folks who reserved in May 2018 are getting the cars in July 2018, while the Apr 2016 reservation holders are being told "3-5 months" :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: bonaire and EinSV
The Real Question is Who is getting Screwed.

1) People who reserved for 2+ years and now are in "supposably" the same queue as everyone else 3-5 months for LR.

2) People who configured their cars in April, May, June 2018 and didn't receive their vin yet compared to someone who configured on June 27, 2018 and got their vin June 28, 2019.... Yes yes the argument it could be a rejected vehicle blah blah blah. Don't matter... its under warranty they'll fix it.

3) The Majority of people who configured their Model 3 June 28, 2018, who's reservation isn't Day1-4 back in 2016, thinking they will get their car in 3-5 months and getting their 7500 dollar tax credit. If the reservation time is still in affect from Tesla... No official comment from Tesla then these people are sorta at the end of a imaginary line. I have call ISR, Talked to Customer loyalty, Talk to delivery people, Talk to dealerships they are all saying FAIR GAME... IT DEPENDS ON WHEN YOU PUT YOUR CONFIGURATION IN.

4) Shareholder/Wall street and Board Memory... There's a lie somewhere in this convoluted purchases...

Someone is getting screwed the question is WHO?