Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have we all been played by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Don't buy the car, get your deposit back then your relationship with Tesla is over. Go across the street to get the competition's car. Oh wait there still isn't any.
I think you misunderstood what everyone was saying. Most of people who Pre -Ordered TESLA car on March 2016 believe in EV 's and TESLA cars and want to part of it. No one is against TESLA and we all love TESLA CARS and we are just saying TESLA Sales model isnt best interest to the people who Pre-ordered it two years ago. TESLA is giving priority to configurations date to Pre-order dates and it would be fair if they consider some weightage if not all to pre-order dates in delivery Estimations.

Yes, it is happening (I believe). I'm also not peeved about it, even though I haven't ordered yet (because I'm waiting for non-PUP). Customer A had some warning this would happen, right before the floodgates opened. Why didn't Customer A go ahead and order before July 5? (That's a rhetorical question.) You snooze, you lose.

what kind of warning ? TESLA hasnt given any kind of information regarding that. In fact in my example, i have ordered car 3 day after i got the invitation and i had no clue that it was wide Open for all other Pre-Orders and i have got Delivery Estimation after I have paid 2500 non-refundable deposit.

well you can say its upto customers to check forums and blogs and up to date information and in reality its very hard to keep checking all the time for more than 2 years.

Reactions: webdbbt
You completely misread my point and are completely missing what people are saying is happening with order priority. People now believe that the following is happening:

Customer A gave Tesla $1k on 4/2/16. Customer A configured his car, a white LR, PUP with wheel upgrade, and gave an additional $2500 on 7/5/18.

Customer B never made a $1k reservation. Customer B goes to Tesla.com on 7/4/18 and places an order for a white LR, PUP with wheel upgrade, and makes a $3500 deposit.

People now suspect that Customer B is ahead of Customer A in the queue for the exact same car. Those of us who made reservations very early do not think that is right. We should be rewarded for our early show of faith in Tesla and our loyalty for giving them an interest free loan for >2 years.

Why do you (and other people) believe this to be the case?

So far Elon Musk has been appreciative of early Tesla supporters, full well realizing that the company would not exist today without such people. So I think it is fair to categorise your belief as surprising - and consequently, that a reliable indication would be in order.

(Btw, I am assuming that both customer A and B are in the USA.)

EDIT: Wait, B makes a binding contract before A, so it seems less surprising that B gets served first.

Why do you (and other people) believe this to be the case?

So far Elon Musk has been appreciative of early Tesla supporters, full well realizing that the company would not exist today without such people. So I think it is fair to categorise your belief as surprising - and consequently, that a reliable indication would be in order.

(Btw, I am assuming that both customer A and B are in the USA.)

EDIT: Wait, B makes a binding contract before A, so it seems less surprising that B gets served first.

I’m not convinced this is happening, other than a few occasions. I’ve seen many more instances of early res holders getting delivery shortly after ordering when the flood gates opened, than those that reserved late.

I still think (and believe it’s happening) that they are still honoring res date over order date. Maybe someone can show me data that it’s happening more frequently than the couple of outliers I’ve seen.

I’m not convinced this is happening, other than a few occasions. I’ve seen many more instances of early res holders getting delivery shortly after ordering when the flood gates opened, than those that reserved late.

I still think (and believe it’s happening) that they are still honoring res date over order date. Maybe someone can show me data that it’s happening more frequently than the couple of outliers I’ve seen.

TESLA representative confirmed me that Pre-order wouldn't be take into consideration. If you order on June 27th and pay 3500, you would be given priority to those who ordered on july 1st and pre-ordered on March 31,2016.

a couple of days delay in confirming the order would push your delivery date to Late 2018. Since most of the Orders happened between June 27 to June 30 because of lifetime premium LTE connectivity offered.

TESLA representative confirmed me that Pre-order wouldn't be take into consideration. If you order on June 27th and pay 3500, you would be given priority to those who ordered on july 1st and pre-ordered on March 31,2016.

a couple of days delay in confirming the order would push your delivery date to Late 2018. Since most of the Orders happened between June 27 to June 30 because of lifetime premium LTE connectivity offered.
Oh, well if a Tesla representative said so, it must be true (not!). Still not buying it as no one can produce evidence it’s happening more than a handful of times.

Full disclosure, I wouldn’t mind that since I reserved late (12/2/16). But hope it isn’t true and Tesla prioritizes res date. That would only be fair to reward the early res holders.

Edit: Maybe @Troy can chime in and let us know if he is seeing any evidence that Tesla is completely disregarding Reservation date in favor of Order date.

Last edited:
what kind of warning ? TESLA hasnt given any kind of information regarding that. In fact in my example, i have ordered car 3 day after i got the invitation and i had no clue that it was wide Open for all other Pre-Orders and i have got Delivery Estimation after I have paid 2500 non-refundable deposit.

well you can say its upto customers to check forums and blogs and up to date information and in reality its very hard to keep checking all the time for more than 2 years.
Well, OK, fair enough. MyTesla is the only place that counts. Many people who were dying to order the car spent a lot of time refreshing the page so they could order first and order fast.

Tesla could barely run a queue of reservations in the proper order as they invited people to configure. What makes anyone think they can come up with an algorithm that properly and fairly weights the priority of those who reserved earlier vs. later, who previously owned a Tesla, whose fifth cousin is named Musk....whatever. They are taking orders now. Orders take priority. If you don't order, you fall back until you order.

It took Apple years and years (you can argue it's still not sufficient) to build out an ordering/reservation system to handle iPhone preorders.

You gotta give Tesla a break. No one could have predicted the level of demand for the Model 3, and if it took Apple years and years to work through the issues, Tesla's doing pretty good considering.

It took Apple years and years (you can argue it's still not sufficient) to build out an ordering/reservation system to handle iPhone preorders.

You gotta give Tesla a break. No one could have predicted the level of demand for the Model 3, and if it took Apple years and years to work through the issues, Tesla's doing pretty good considering.

Did they really get through the issues? For most of iPhone history, it was a shitshow trying to get a preorder, and if you missed the preorder window around 3-3:30AM EST, maybe because their order systems went down under the load, then it could have been months until you got a phone. That's for something that's hardly any different than the one from the previous year.

Did they really get through the issues? For most of iPhone history, it was a shitshow trying to get a preorder, and if you missed the preorder window around 3-3:30AM EST, maybe because their order systems went down under the load, then it could have been months until you got a phone. That's for something that's hardly any different than the one from the previous year.
Apple is doing a lot better dealing with the initial surge of demand by stockpiling phones for months; however, if you are still late to order then you are still expecting weeks or months of wait time.

That's why I said you can argue even Apple still hasn't sufficiently fixed their preorder system. I mean, I get the sheer logistics of trying to have enough stock for the tens of millions who order on opening day. That's its own issue. However, even with the last iPhone release (the 8 and X), there were still reports of preorder glitches. Like people couldn't log in to preorder or it somehow messed up and they couldn't order until hours later (at which time they missed the initial shipment date and were backordered). That really shouldn't happen to Apple after all these years and with their resources.

Tesla has totally mishandled the Model 3 allocation process and abandoned their most enthusiastic, patient, and loyal customers, many of whom had waited over two years! The way they have suddenly abandoned their waiting list and prioritized based on when someone put in their configuration order while ignoring other buyers who had been on the list longer but may have been traveling and didn’t happen to click quickly with their additional $2,500 payments is egregious.
With only a few choices available to order, it seems to me they could have run their new configuration list against their prior deposit list and at least attempt to give priority to buyers who had waited longer as they had previously committed to do! Some day, this may become a business school case on how “not to deal with customers and run a business!” Moreover, some people are speculating in the Tesla Model 3 Forum that their “opening the floodgates” suddenly in late June had to do with the company knowing they were delivering U.S. order #200,000 in Q-2 , so people with Q-4 deliveries would lose half of their $7,500 federal tax credits, so they wanted to commit as many people as possible to $3,500 non-refundable before they disclose this next week. These actions appear to be a breach of trust on the part of Tesla, so they have alienated thousands of their most loyal customers!

The simple fact is Tesla needs to survive, financially, in order to get every enthusiast their car. If you believe any bit of the doomsday articles discussing Tesla's cash flow and future, etc, they HAVE to prioritize however they can get the most cash/profit as soon as possible. Sorry Mr "I reserved day 1, but I want the base model running only $35k", you're just not going to help keep Tesla cash positive as much as Mr "Oh, yes, this is cool, and I'll spend $60k on a car". It's just business, people need to stop taking it so personally. I mean, if you put in a deposit on day 1 and you still don't have a product that you want (and/or it's still not even available) then I don't feel bad for you. Nobody twisted your arm saying you had to drop $1,000 on what was still basically vaporware at the time.

Tesla has totally mishandled the Model 3 allocation process and abandoned their most enthusiastic, patient, and loyal customers, many of whom had waited over two years! The way they have suddenly abandoned their waiting list and prioritized based on when someone put in their configuration order while ignoring other buyers who had been on the list longer but may have been traveling and didn’t happen to click quickly with their additional $2,500 payments is egregious.
With only a few choices available to order, it seems to me they could have run their new configuration list against their prior deposit list and at least attempt to give priority to buyers who had waited longer as they had previously committed to do! Some day, this may become a business school case on how “not to deal with customers and run a business!” Moreover, some people are speculating in the Tesla Model 3 Forum that their “opening the floodgates” suddenly in late June had to do with the company knowing they were delivering U.S. order #200,000 in Q-2 , so people with Q-4 deliveries would lose half of their $7,500 federal tax credits, so they wanted to commit as many people as possible to $3,500 non-refundable before they disclose this next week. These actions appear to be a breach of trust on the part of Tesla, so they have alienated thousands of their most loyal customers!
f3e1a8d3-d8b7-4276-8be8-2164b1b2438e_560_420.jpg

Lots of exclamation points!!! A little dramatic, don't you think? So, are you a reservation holder, or are just looking out for our interests? :p

• Funny
Reactions: cbutters
I wonder if the algorithm is something like th is.

Produce X number of P3D. Priority goes in order of those who paid the $2500, followed by order of their reservation date.
Produce Y number of 3D models. Priority goes in order of those who paid the $2500, followed by order of their reservation date.
produce Z number of LR3 models. Priority goes in order of those who paid the $2500, followed by order of their reservation date.

With X P3D's having the highest production priority and LR3's having the lowest (currently).

So if you haven't paid the $2500, your out of the game until you do, regardless of reservation.... And of course there has to be some variation of this since they have to build your exact car. Meaning the longer you wait to pay the $2500 the longer you get pushed back in the line. It's likely that if you pay the $2500 by some arbitrary planning date your in and your priority will be adjusted based on your reservation.