Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Private property laws would allow it, but I can see how the hotel chain would not want to be pissing off it's own customers. What surprises me about this is that the hotel claims they didn't have owner info on the cars. I dunno about you, but I am always asked for Make/Model/Plate # whenever I check in to a hotel.

I haven't been asked for this lately and really didn't think anything of it until now. I typically stay at the Marriott family of hotels. I do remember prior to the past 18 months being asked regularly.

I charged in Glenwood Springs at the end of March when I moved from AZ to Denver. I'm very lucky that the charging spots were completely empty. The spots make for convenient parking for hotel guests...

The way to handle this at charging sites that refuse to tow people that are blocking the Supercharger stalls is to:

Make a reservation for an overnight stay on the stipulation that they will be towing ICE vehicles in the dedicated Supercharger stalls. On check-in, confirm if they are really going to tow vehicles that are blocking the charging stations, making the, do it on the spot before check-in if there is someone in the spot currently. If not, ask to speak to the manager and with them, cancel your overnight stay because they are not acting in good faith on being a good Supercharger host. Companies are getting the Superchargers to get customers in the door. The way to stop this bad behavior (hosts not towing improper vehicles, especially annoying when there is a sign that says hey will tow), is to show this won't be tolerated and that it's actually hurting their bottom line.

A few more photos from my earlier icing in Glenwood Springs CO. It has not reoccurred since that infamous night. On my return trip all the cones were in place and there were NO cars blocking the Tesla Superchargers. One other Tesla came in to charge, when I left I made sure the cones were back in place with the "No Parking" attached signs facing out!
P1010087.JPG
P1010088.JPG
P1010089.JPG
P1010090.JPG

A few more photos from my earlier icing in Glenwood Springs CO. It has not reoccurred since that infamous night. On my return trip all the cones were in place and there were NO cars blocking the Tesla Superchargers. One other Tesla came in to charge, when I left I made sure the cones were back in place with the "No Parking" attached signs facing out!

My God that's utter madness! Is this a common problem in the States? Hope not for our first and only Supercharger in Birmingham UK!

Not ICE'd, but what is the term for an EV that is parked at a charger and not plugged in? That has happened to me, and in some respects I think that has to feel worse than getting ICE'd! :cursing:

Just before the S was getting delivered (meaning not as many EVs on the road), it was not uncommon to discuss if we should park in dedicated EV spots when we didn't need a charge - not to be rude, but to help raise awareness that there WERE electric cars around. Usually the consensus was that if there was more than one spot open, you should park in one of the open spots, just so people would see an electric car. (We didn't like hearing people say 'well no one ever uses those spots, so what's the point??')

Obviously things have changed since then. But it really is not that long since we had to worry about keeping the spots occupied ... so perhaps a nice note for now, reminding people that other EVs need to charge.

Just before the S was getting delivered (meaning not as many EVs on the road), it was not uncommon to discuss if we should park in dedicated EV spots when we didn't need a charge - not to be rude, but to help raise awareness that there WERE electric cars around. Usually the consensus was that if there was more than one spot open, you should park in one of the open spots, just so people would see an electric car. (We didn't like hearing people say 'well no one ever uses those spots, so what's the point??')

Obviously things have changed since then. But it really is not that long since we had to worry about keeping the spots occupied ... so perhaps a nice note for now, reminding people that other EVs need to charge.

I went to park in Santa Barbara in a downtown garage a couple weeks ago--and the two EV charging spots were occupied by EVs not plugged in (well, sort of EVs--one was a Volt.) I reported the problem to the garage attendant--nothing was done. Has anyone seen a nice print out we could use to put on windshields in this situation? I designed my own a while back. It was really funny (to me, anyway) and to the point--but my wife vetoed it!

I'd probably just leave a note saying something along the lines of 'I'm glad you didn't need to charge, but I did, and because you were parked here, I could not. Take pity on your fellow EV driver and at least leave a note next time with a cell phone number where you can be contacted.'

Negatory on that sign, Tyl. Will likely provoke retaliation rather than new thinking. Will proclaim victory for ICEer when they finish their business and drive away. Such reinforcement counter productive.

Not to say that hard core SC situations might need pro-active responses. Most do not as I've observed at umpteen visits to many SCs. For poorly planned SCs the use of (two) heavy traffic barrels on some of the spots seems to get the message across.
--

I don't see how that sign will provoke "retaliation" but blocking the spaces with barrels is OK. Most drivers have no idea what a Tesla supercharger is or why they shouldn't park there, unless there is a sign telling them it is a spot for electric vehicle charging and not a parking space.

By the way that is almost the exact sign installed last month at all the Huntsville, TX supercharger spaces at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot.

This is the sign I think we would all like to see at every Tesla Supercharging stall!

Given scenes like the one below, where this Dodge Pickup ignored the green EV Charging sign, I like your sign that provides easy recognition for any driver. In this case, the Model S with less than 20 miles left only got a charge because the Volt owner was around and was willing to give up his charging space for the desperate Tesla.

In some states, the sign may need modifications that cite the code section or phone number of the towing company, but in general, I think that this kind of sign sets the correct tone.

Idaho Springs J1772.JPG

Instead of Tyl's suggested sign, how about a sign that states something along the lines of "This spot is not for parking, but is (reserved) for electric vehicle charging only"? This would mean that an ICE vehicle can not park in the spot, and that an electric vehicle can not park there also (unless it is charging).