Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, I wasn't meaning to correct ya. I just meant I like it better that way. ;) Makes me think of, well, "burners". I'll hold off on saying more because some might find it offensive to go into detail.

To be clear, I wasn't meaning to correct ya. I just meant I like it better that way. ;) Makes me think of, well, "burners". I'll hold off on saying more because some might find it offensive to go into detail.
Why do I suddenly have a mental image of a beat up Altima, with an "angry bee" exhaust with a 5" diameter tip and a big "Type R" sticker?

Does it count if you're driving an ICE when you're ICE'd? If so, then I got ICE'd this afternoon, driving my pickup. I was hauling a trailer, and selected my off-highway gas stop at a station I knew well. If I go around the back of the station (where the big-rig diesel pumps are), then back to the gas pumps at front, I can use the pump at the end, then pull out, without backing or any clearance problems.

As I'm entering the station, I see my target pump (and about half of the rest) are open. As I come around the building, a Jetta zips into my pump (passing all the other empty ones:cursing:). We're parked face-to-face, so I'm watching numb-nuts sit there yacking on his cell phone for a few minutes before he gets out of the car. Then he gets out, walks to the door of the station, pulls the door halfway open, and then freezes while he yacks some. He buys a drink inside (maybe pre-pays for his gas), finally comes out and puts what couldn't have been more than $10 worth in his car and leaves.

I never know if people like this are just clueless, or self absorbed a-holes. The guy at the next pump watched the whole thing shaking his head.

Sorry for going a bit off topic; I just needed to vent.

Woodbridge VA

Talk about being ICEed. This one is at Woodbridge, VA Supercharger over this past weekend, eight stalls - seven of them ICEed.:cursing:
Only one of them had a warning notice on their windshield. I called both Tesla Supercharger team as well as Mall Security. We need to rally up and encourage passing of enforceable legislation.
649.JPG

Talk about being ICEed. This one is at Woodbridge, VA Supercharger over this past weekend, eight stalls - seven of them ICEed.:cursing:
Only one of them had a warning notice on their windshield. I called both Tesla Supercharger team as well as Mall Security. We need to rally up and encourage passing of enforceable legislation. View attachment 61434

Wow, that's nuts. What was going on there? Those spaces are kind of in the middle of nowhere. Is there construction elsewhere in the lot?

Only one of them had a warning notice on their windshield. I called both Tesla Supercharger team as well as Mall Security. We need to rally up and encourage passing of enforceable legislation.

That's really sad. Do two of the spots authorize icing with the ambiguous "General Parking 2 hours" sign?

Got one! Oct 6 Truckee
to be fair, no one (including me) was actually being ICEd
you could have driven between his right front and the chargers to access any of them, if you were so motivated AND the truck was idling -yuck- so driver was probably sleeping inside. Good (bad) example nonetheless and a nice visual:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 420
Likely a case of once one ICE parks there, others feel emboldened to do so as well. They can always point to the other cars and say, well, they're parking there so why can't I?

I think this is exactly what happened. Because I was literally going to come on this thread and say that I was pleasantly surprised at the very same Woodbridge, VA supercharger... on Monday (Columbus day) the Potomac Mills Mall was PACKED. literally every spot was taken, but there was not ONE car in the Tesla spots (Tesla or otherwise).

I think you're right mbknox... once a couple people park there, the floodgates are open...

Only one of them had a warning notice on their windshield. I called both Tesla Supercharger team as well as Mall Security. We need to rally up and encourage passing of enforceable legislation. View attachment 61434
Hi ABVA,

Wow, that photo of seven of the eight Superchargers ICEd in Woodbridge dramatically proves there is a problem.

Perhaps you can send that picture to the Prince William County Supervisors. Chickensevil has started a thread about his effort to get the ball rolling on legislation in Prince William County. He has already gotten a positive response from Supervisor Frank J. Principi. I've offered to help since I recently went through the process of getting anti-ICEing legislation passed in Montgomery and Howard Counties in Maryland.

Here is the thread.

Lanny

Tesla made the reasonable assumption that situating SuperChargers physically near -- as in short walking distance -- shops and food made sense for travelers.

They also made a design decision that clearly reflects a limit in how much money they were willing to budget for each SuperCharger site, and that limit meant we got parking spaces.

And parking spaces in high-traffic locations, usually within larger parking lots where 99.9% of the vehicles are ICEs, means SuperCharger spaces are going to get ICEd. The worst? Situating SuperChargers in hotel parking lots. That is just plain insane, as Tesla owners everywhere are discovering.

I blame Tesla. This problem was obvious before the first SuperCharger was opened. You design parking spaces, people are gonna park. They don't read, they don't listen, they don't observe. They just park their car and go do their thing, and don't care what you think. Or if they do know about Tesla they knowingly park their car their just to "get back" at the rich Tesla owners or something.

The situation is ugly and will stay that way until Tesla rethinks the design -- and location -- of SuperChargers.

Me, personally, I would rather not have to deal with ICE situations which are only going to increase, and therefore would be far more willing to give up food and shopping convenience for reduced ICEing conditions, meaning: situate SuperCharger locations further away from dense busy parking lots.

As for the design and layout, I've said it before: SuperChargers should be designed to look like gas stations with "pumps" you pull up to. Numbskull ICE drivers will be less inclined to park at something that looks like a gas station pump and not a parking spot.