Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you switched to British English?

Have you switched to British English?

• Yes, really happy it’s an option

Votes: 83 71.6%
  • I will once I get the update

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • No, I like the American terms now

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • No, but I really don’t care about this at all

Votes: 18 15.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Yank living in England - I'm not sure the superiority exhibited here is so appropriate. I've never had to live with as many "should of" instead of "should have", "their" vs "there" and other similar grammatical issues as I have had to here...:)

Also, keep in mind iOS' Siri works better with a US English set-up as there is a much larger user base that is used to tweak it.
Totally agree. I lived in the US for 3years and apart from the dialectical spelling and pronunciation differences, I found the standard of English pretty good. In the UK, it’s often really bad, particularly on social media, but I see “should of” way too often even in business e-mails. I think the UK education system is definitely failing in getting kids to have a solid understanding of English grammar.

I never had a problem with the default US English setting, I just appreciate a British English one.

That said, my sister’s name is Lynsey and it’s impossible to call her from the car as it thinks I’m saying “Lindsay”, and can’t find anyone in my phonebook with that name. :(

As a Yank living in England - I'm not sure the superiority exhibited here is so appropriate. I've never had to live with as many "should of" instead of "should have", "their" vs "there" and other similar grammatical issues as I have had to here...:)
Confirmation bias innit. ;)

(What else would you have expected on a UK enclave on a forum?)

I find it pretty good for Spotify as well - but I don’t rate it for control of wipers/lights/carling.

Weird as the range of things to match against for Spotify most be so much larger.than relevant car command words.

Reactions: Yachtsman

Also, keep in mind iOS' Siri works better with a US English set-up as there is a much larger user base that is used to tweak it.
Absolutely correct: the average American has a far better command of the English language than the average Brit, and much better diction.

I've switched to "British English" but I haven't noticed any difference.

It was only available under "voice navigation" and not "touch screen" or "voice recognition" categories...

Is there a difference when switched to "British English"?

I'm rather pleased that I can now open a boot rather than a large suitcase, and always had a problem with the word 'frunk'. It always reminded me of a GP we had many years ago who used to refer to a woman's private parts as 'front bottom'!!!

I changed to "British English' just to see what would happen and all that seemed to change was the screen's "frunk/bonnet" and "trunk/boot".
I managed just once (whilst "American English") to get the bonnet open previously with voice control but fails every time now.
Tried "open bonnet" and every time it starts navigating to "Bonnet" - I cancel it before it actually resolves so not sure where "Bonnet" is.