Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

having 2nd thought on model s bc of issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to any other car forum and read some posts. Even cars that have been in production for a long time have problems. Forums always make a car look far worse than it actually is (except for maybe VW) because people that have problems tend to post them and those without problems tend to be silent. it's more important to consider the kind of problems and if they belong to the nuisance or show stopping variety. Almost all the ones that I'm seeing are nuisance type. The couple of show stopping ones have been fixed promptly and have only isolated instances as far as I can tell.
Example of the overall point -- Jerry had a terrible time with at least one VW and associated dealership(s). For very good reasons he never misses a chance to tell folks to watch out. My own VW is ok and the dealer is fine (so far).

However my VW is getting hardly any use because the Model S is so much nicer.

All online forums mostly consist of users with problems looking for likeminded people who may shed a light on the problems. I have wandered on an uncountable amount of car forums over the years - for an indefinitive amount of hours, and its always the same.

Except at Jaguar XF forums. I have actually come across many threads just started for the sake of reporting how great the car is. I am hoping we will be able to do the same on these boards when more people gets their car!

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

I did cancel once (but due a planned intercontinental move and the moment I returned to these shores (USA)), re-placed my order.

I too considered canceling after that due to other concerns like test drive insurance BS, maintenance costs, and I've forgotten the others. Concerns (including issues) became irrelevant and I want to find issues and help Tesla correct and perfect.

I simply could not cancel. And take delivery next week.

You're not buying a car. Rather batteries. And a computer on wheels.

You're buying (probably) the best car in the world. One with a following of enthusiasts unlike any other. A cause. The company. The disruption. The "lack of dealer" distribution model. The range. It's elegance. Corrosion free aluminium. Silence. Style. Grin. Political and environmental point of view. Did you hear ... it's also electric? The Supercharger network.

I simply couldn't imagine buying a different brand. I want electric and range. (And it happens to be hip :). Leaf / Volt are excellent training wheels (been there)). Tesla is the real thing.

I do not recommend the 40kwh battery unless you have convinced yourself you cannot afford the extra 12k (2k for supercharger access.)

Oh, did I mention ... it's also electric? :)

And, in common with others ... I am looooooong TSLA. (How many car forums do you see so many of us being shareholders as well?)

I'll admit some angst in going through the delivery process.

My car was built in late December - was worried about all of the messages on the forums from people who'd had problems with December builds.

Was concerned about sending a large check to Tesla for my car, without seeing my car, before they would load it on the transport.

And then when I heard the transport hit a deer in West Texas and was delayed - I was very apprehensive about what I would find when the car got here.

When it rolled off the truck, the car was dirty - the driver apologized and said all of the Model S's on his truck were in the same condition, because he loaded while it was raining and the cars weren't clean when he got them. Tesla had already warned me about this before delivery - and had already made arrangements to get the car fully detailed immediately after delivery.

Once I got the car, I had an 8 page checklist I used to methodically go through every electrical, mechanical and finish aspect of the car.

Other than a few minor problems (missing the rear trunk well cover), I didn't find anything major wrong with the car - and nothing that needed to be addressed immediately - just a very small number of minor issues to look at when the local service team gets the "due bill items" (like the CF spoiler).

A major problem with the forums is that a very small number of people can make it seem like there are major problems with the cars. But if many people were having serious problems, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of "piling on" when a problem was reported?

There are some quirks with the software - which they'll fix - and I'm adjusting my usage to avoid some of the issues (raise the seat to minimize the windshield distortion, being more careful in entering/exiting the drivers seat to avoid wear on the post - which, by the way, I had the same problem with the LS 460 I just sold, ...).

Now that I am through the delivery process, and I've been driving the car for the last 10 days - I have absolutely no regrets. It is a fantastic car - and the angst during the delivery process is already a fading memory...

I think a certiain small amount of windshield distortion will always be present. The windshield is huge and very curved. But there's no reason in normal use to look down at that part of the windshield so it shouldn't be an issue.

The seat post wear is probably a real issue if you rub against the seat post every time you get in and out. The interior is leather. Do that to leather and it'll wear. So don't do it. Check out the car and make sure you can adjust the seats so they're comfortable for you and you can get in and out w/o rubbing the seat post. Problem solved. Myself, I don't think I've touched the seatpost once.

I'd put the rest down to standard teething pains that new cars have and random issues that all cars have. I wouldn't let this steer you away from the car. If you're really concerned, wait a while to give Tesla time to sort things out, then order.

In 2000, I bought a Ford Focus which was one of the first build in North America... and I got about 20 recalls on that car, and about 5 major issues. So I think that any new assembly line need some adjustments, and Tesla is doing pretty well as it's a new technologie for a new manufacturer.
So either you are an early adtopter or not.

I've only had one of the listed problems and will be noisy until they fix the seat post wear issue. I know that Mercedes had similar wear patterns and was able to address the problem with a molded metal cover.

I've posted that, as a early adopter, I anticipated some problems and have had FAR fewer than I expected. When i put down my deposit in 2009, I questioned my own sanity. The software glitches with he 4.1 release, were annoying, but nothing more than that.

After just 5 weeks, I can't imagine driving anything else. I feel a huge sense of gratitude to be able to have the car. I will soon be traveling by plane and am already a bit irritated that I'll have to rent an ICE . . . boring.

I'm sure that most of us recall that Elon's objective was the make the best car ever. I view the posts regarding Model S's challenges as steps to insure that his objective is met.

My family initially planned on a Model S, and we made a reservation. Then in spring 2011, a miracle occurred, and my wife agreed to try to swing a Roadster and a Model S. I got the Roadster, but as it got closer and closer to lock in our Signature S, she got more and more concerned. She had always had a jeep or RAV/4 and just couldn't see dropping the change for such a luxury. Heck, prior to the Roadster, I had driven a Mits 3000 VR/4 for 17 years, so we just weren't used to nice new cars. She nearly mixed the Signature at the last minute, but ultimately she went through with it, probably because she thought I wanted her to. We took deliver of VIN #55. She is in love (with the car). She can't believe it is so nice. We have had it for about 6 months. There have been a couple of issues but nothing major, and Tesla was great helping with those. So she would never dream of giving it up now. I think it is a safe bet you can keep your reservation, and you will absolutely love it. Period!

Another chime in from an owner with zero problems. I absolutely LOVE the car. The car has just been a dream so far.

I spent the entire halftime at a superbowl party plus the entire "black out" period giving test drives and seat time to interested attendees at the party.

Go to any other car forum and read some posts. Even cars that have been in production for a long time have problems. Forums always make a car look far worse than it actually is (except for maybe VW) because people that have problems tend to post them and those without problems tend to be silen...

^^This is so true. ^^ Add in that the Tesla warrenty is covering most of this stuff and here's the kicker. These problems were not on every car and these problems were NOT even ALL ON ONE car.
If you get a car with your whole list of problems that would be a lemon. If you recieved a Model S that had one of those you read about that would actually be statistically outside the norm.

thanks all for your replies and comments.. I am about to decide to pull the trigger.. going to get the 40kwh, metallic blue, air suspension but waiting for epa to release the 40kwh estimated range.. hopefully release soon..

Hmm... I would skip on the blue color and air suspension, and put the money towards a bigger battery, but that's just me.

Can you post or send me your checklist, please? My Model S will be delivered in the next couple of weeks. Thank you.

I'll admit some angst in going through the delivery process.

My car was built in late December - was worried about all of the messages on the forums from people who'd had problems with December builds.

Was concerned about sending a large check to Tesla for my car, without seeing my car, before they would load it on the transport.

And then when I heard the transport hit a deer in West Texas and was delayed - I was very apprehensive about what I would find when the car got here.

When it rolled off the truck, the car was dirty - the driver apologized and said all of the Model S's on his truck were in the same condition, because he loaded while it was raining and the cars weren't clean when he got them. Tesla had already warned me about this before delivery - and had already made arrangements to get the car fully detailed immediately after delivery.

Once I got the car, I had an 8 page checklist I used to methodically go through every electrical, mechanical and finish aspect of the car.

Other than a few minor problems (missing the rear trunk well cover), I didn't find anything major wrong with the car - and nothing that needed to be addressed immediately - just a very small number of minor issues to look at when the local service team gets the "due bill items" (like the CF spoiler).

A major problem with the forums is that a very small number of people can make it seem like there are major problems with the cars. But if many people were having serious problems, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of "piling on" when a problem was reported?

There are some quirks with the software - which they'll fix - and I'm adjusting my usage to avoid some of the issues (raise the seat to minimize the windshield distortion, being more careful in entering/exiting the drivers seat to avoid wear on the post - which, by the way, I had the same problem with the LS 460 I just sold, ...).

Now that I am through the delivery process, and I've been driving the car for the last 10 days - I have absolutely no regrets. It is a fantastic car - and the angst during the delivery process is already a fading memory...