Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having a hard time justifying keeping my Model S vs. trading down to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my model S for about 15 months now, a 75D that's worth about $60k-65k. I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it since it seems like the Model 3 does everything I need to, but for half of my sticker price.

For me personally I don't need the extra room (I'm single), and I actually like the interior of the Model 3 a lot. My autopilot (HW1) is better but that will change within a year or so. I barely use bioweapon defense mode, I have no rear cupholders or door pockets. I'm a day 1 reservation holder for the Model 3 so I could get it by the end of the year. Having no key for my lifestyle would be a little inconvenient but we're talking a difference of $20k, a little inconvenience for that much money is not a big deal. I don't use supercharging that much, I've only taken 5 long trips since I've had my car where I actually needed them.

My question is how many of you are keeping your model S instead of trading down and why?

Financially its a bad move I think. You'll take the hit on the S when you trade, then take a second hit when you drive the 3 off the lot. I plan to trade for another S or a 3, but only when FSD is working. I hate taking the hit and feel Tesla didn't deliver what was promised with AP1, but I'm going to own the first FSD car available, be it Tesla or GM or whoever sells it.

I've been thinking about it. The AP2 seems wasteful as is. Having to care for every move it makes defeats the purpose. Might as well have a basic EV with manual steering. I could sell the 2017 and keep the 2012 to accomplish a similar goal. Until autonomy is fully operational with rave reviews it makes little sense to tie up funds in expensive cars.

Financially its a bad move I think. You'll take the hit on the S when you trade, then take a second hit when you drive the 3 off the lot. I plan to trade for another S or a 3, but only when FSD is working. I hate taking the hit and feel Tesla didn't deliver what was promised with AP1, but I'm going to own the first FSD car available, be it Tesla or GM or whoever sells it.

the demand for the M3 will keep resale very high for the first year or so.
no way they can keep up with the demand for at least 18 months

I suspect if you take a gimlet eye look at the real resale value of your S and the actual full purchase price of a 3 equipped the way you want it including tax, you won't come out ahead on the transaction.

And then extrapolate that to the future hit on the 3. Every time you buy from or sell to a dealer, he's picking up thousands of dollars in margin. (I don't write that to be critical of dealers, they need the margin to keep the doors open.)

Reactions: jjh1234
I've had my model S for about 15 months now, a 75D that's worth about $60k-65k. I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it since it seems like the Model 3 does everything I need to, but for half of my sticker price.

For me personally I don't need the extra room (I'm single), and I actually like the interior of the Model 3 a lot. My autopilot (HW1) is better [than AP2] but that will change within a year or so.

Can we really bank on that? :oops:

I am struggling with this question also. I've had my S for 18 months with 18 months left on a lease. I also have a March 31 reservation for the Model 3, but until I can see and drive it, it's difficult to decide on keeping my S or buying the 3. Not sure if I want to drive a car without a driver side or heads up display screen. I can purchase my S at end of lease for $45k or end up spending more on the 3. First world problem.

Very good points on financial losses. Given the low number of parts (Murphy's law) in these cars, it makes sense for one to hold on to an AWD Model S for as long as they can, and given the 8 year battery and motors warranty an extended warranty would make little sense.

Aditionally, and this is very important for both fun and safety, the huge wheelbase of a Model S makes its handling superior. To exemplify I drove an Audi R8 V8 and and a TTRS the same summer, the R8 behaved much better on the twisties (big VAG fan at the time).

Oh yes, getting a new ICE every 3 years was fun in the past, until I got the Model S, now about the only items that catch my eye in car magazines are the inflated borrowed gun articles on the cca. 2025 EVs from major manufacturers, LMFAO...

Besides, effortless 4.1s in any weather, any day, is priceless.

BUT, being single and continuing to use condoms (no college expenses for 3-5 kids), you might as well have fun and indulge in a Model 3, oh how I envy you:)

Financially its a bad move I think. You'll take the hit on the S when you trade, then take a second hit when you drive the 3 off the lot.

You are double counting. Either the depreciation of the S came when they drove it off the lot, or the 3 won't depreciate until they sell it.

it seems like the Model 3 does everything I need to, but for half of my sticker price

There will be a small transaction cost for switching cars, but I suspect it will be drowned by the savings of using a car at half the cost. You can either have a car that meets your needs, or a car that meets your needs, plus $30,000.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Country Roads
If you search recent forum post about MS owners trying to trade in for an MX most are getting very shocking low trade in quote. A year old car with normal mileage are getting 30-40% hit. I can imagine MS trade in value would take any other significant hit once M3 production go into full swing

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
If you search recent forum post about MS owners trying to trade in for an MX most are getting very shocking low trade in quote. A year old car with normal mileage are getting 30-40% hit. I can imagine MS trade in value would take any other significant hit once M3 production go into full swing

Well, by "trade-in" I meant either trading it back to Tesla or selling it myself. I do also have the guaranteed resale value after 3 years.

Am I trading down from my mid-2013 S85 to a Model 3 (long range, dual drive) in 2018 (I assume I won't see it before then)? I will have enjoyed 5 great years in a 'primitive' S. I actually want a slightly smaller car. I assume 0-60 will be better than my S. And I/we still have the 2015 S70D for 'heavy lifting'. Me, all good.