Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am more convinced then ever that smart summon is using Open Street Maps (OSM) for parking lot mapping. This has been posted before but I want to share my results. I had 2 local parking lots that smart summon was awful at. It made horrible routing decisions. I read online that Tesla might be using OSM so I checked my area. Sure enough, areas where it worked awesome we’re mapped and areas that failed were not. So I created an account and mapped my local parking lots. I just re-tested one area today and the routing completely changed. You can see in the pic to the left was before I updated. It routed the main service road all the way around. The last pic is the individual parking aisles I mapped myself. Second pic was the new routing today. I’ll try the other lot I mapped this weekend. You might want to try for yourself.

1042F38A-EE84-4417-ADB0-1BF7FBF0F53F.png

Awesome! I spent about 6 hours mapping out lots that I use to "torture test" smart summon. I've been on vacation though so I am very excited to come home and try this out!!!

This info needs to become more widespread because owners will go into obsessive mode and map out tens of thousands of lots.

I wonder if Tesla has a team of a few people who take location data from fleet smart summon use and then that team just goes on OSM and creates maps for lots that owners have used summon in?

Awesome! I spent about 6 hours mapping out lots that I use to "torture test" smart summon. I've been on vacation though so I am very excited to come home and try this out!!!

This info needs to become more widespread because owners will go into obsessive mode and map out tens of thousands of lots.

I wonder if Tesla has a team of a few people who take location data from fleet smart summon use and then that team just goes on OSM and creates maps for lots that owners have used summon in?

I did the same after initially reading about the OSM correlation. I was hoping to see if my edits get updated in the next Nav Database download. I didn’t expect it to pull current data from the server which appears that’s what it’s doing. I notice initially the routing wants to go direct to my target, after a second or 2 it starts to route the blue line using the parking aisles, presumably once it connects to the server. Today I’m going to try one more parking lot that was unmapped prior and had horrible routing that I updated.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Yeah, it's super exciting to see that we have direct control over the quality of the maps. It does appear that it pulls data in real time from OSM. I've messed around with adding curbs and parking islands to see if the car will know to avoid those areas too...haven't had a chance to verify behavior though.

Reactions: OttoR and PaulJohn
I hope you're right about OpenStreetMaps. After seeing this thread, I created an account and started editing some areas I found deficient locally, esp those I frequent.

A local strip mall was torn down and completely rebuilt. In the rain last week, I was unable to use summon, my car was in the middle of a building per the map.

When you edit a parking area, you simple "area" out the entire lot, then put in "parking lane" down the middle of the aisles, right? Nothing else, correct?

I use "driveway" to connect the street to the lot, and then "parking aisle" for all of the parking lanes. You can make them one way as appropriate. Along the right side you can also change the aerial imagery source to see if there is a more up to date provider in case of recent construction. You can also put in curbs and islands, but I don't know if the car uses this data or not.

I use "driveway" to connect the street to the lot, and then "parking aisle" for all of the parking lanes. You can make them one way as appropriate. Along the right side you can also change the aerial imagery source to see if there is a more up to date provider in case of recent construction. You can also put in curbs and islands, but I don't know if the car uses this data or not.

I think i'm good then - can you provide a link to a lot you edited so I can compare the details of?

If the cars are really using open source info for them to summon, isn't is possible that someone nefarious could use that to cause some issues? Edit the map to make the car think that a public road is part of the parking lot? Sounds like a bad situation...
Yeah, there's no way they are trusting one person's changes. It's probably just a coincidence that the OP's maps updated after he made changes on OSM. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

I hope you're right about OpenStreetMaps. After seeing this thread, I created an account and started editing some areas I found deficient locally, esp those I frequent.

A local strip mall was torn down and completely rebuilt. In the rain last week, I was unable to use summon, my car was in the middle of a building per the map.

When you edit a parking area, you simple "area" out the entire lot, then put in "parking lane" down the middle of the aisles, right? Nothing else, correct?
Should be “parking aisle”. Parking lane is for street parking.

Ok. I am now 100% sure. Just tried it on the other parking lot where it wanted to route out to the Main Street...and actually tried to when summoned. It now follows the parking aisles perfectly that I drew. Move the target and give it a second to route through the server. The point of this thread is to try it out for yourself. Map those parking lots!
The image on the left is the newly planned route. The right image is the parking lot lines that I drew myself. There was nothing here at all before and summon would just draw a straight line to my target. I tried here on two different occasions that failed prior.

Attachments

• 8B22ECD2-6DEB-4934-A374-0A3B0D6924CF.png
    8B22ECD2-6DEB-4934-A374-0A3B0D6924CF.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 342
If the cars are really using open source info for them to summon, isn't is possible that someone nefarious could use that to cause some issues? Edit the map to make the car think that a public road is part of the parking lot? Sounds like a bad situation...

I personally think they are using a different database for the main roads. But if you start turning a bunch of streets into parking aisles your account will get reported/suspended and roads will get fixed. I think for parking lots at 5mph Tesla is ok with open source. For now.