Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the latest navigation update, I was wondering if anyone has noticed if their "open street map" edits have made smart summon better or not.

I live on a private street but smart summon always says it's a public road and cancels, I've edited it to "destination only" before the nav update but still can't use smart summon. I've now re-edited to all private for the road and will see if that makes the difference, hoping I don't have to wait until the next navigation maps update which could be...next year?

It seems to be a mesh of OSM and Tesla’s in-house map database. The OSM crowd seems happy to have new mappers but some Tesla folks are marking stuff private when it’s very much public. I too hope that the Nav updates start becoming a more frequent thing which I think it will be as FSD starts rolling more updates.

I know my car is uploading a crap ton after I do the city AP. It’s pretty good so far but obviously needs tweaking

Since the latest navigation update, I was wondering if anyone has noticed if their "open street map" edits have made smart summon better or not.

I live on a private street but smart summon always says it's a public road and cancels, I've edited it to "destination only" before the nav update but still can't use smart summon. I've now re-edited to all private for the road and will see if that makes the difference, hoping I don't have to wait until the next navigation maps update which could be...next year?
There are great experts in here. Maybe someone can look at your edits and see if there's something not quite right.

Reactions: PostalM3
I've become hooked on OSM editing just like I used to be hooked on Waze years ago :)

When might also like to contribute to areas in the world that are poorly mapped. See Missing Maps or Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team | Home

@TreeStryder, have you seen this:
Turn a Tesla into a mapping vehicle with Mapillary

It requires some investment and set-up, but of you have wifi near your car and a NAS running; you might be able to create something that's near touchless.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
In ID Editor, you can mark your edits for review. Especially when you are new to OSM, more experienced mappers in your region will have a look at your contribution and are more than happy to coach you to become better.
Yeah, but, I edited some hospital drop-off locations that I use with my 92yr old wheelchair-bound mom, so that the car would come closer to the curbing, and they "corrected" my edits back to the middle of the lane!

Yeah, but, I edited some hospital drop-off locations that I use with my 92yr old wheelchair-bound mom, so that the car would come closer to the curbing, and they "corrected" my edits back to the middle of the lane!
Leave a note in your commit explaining the situation, maybe they’d rather have a side lane for drop off or mark it using appropriate tags.

by the way has anyone tried out that mapillary setup? A little kit could help tons of data be collected for non-proprietary navigation tools.

I also imagine it would be possible to make a dedicated osm editor surface to use in the car, where you say “service road; 10 Mph; 2 way” and “paint by driving”; and the editor just asks the fundamental questions but does not require you to learn all the OSM tagging.
Ideas are cheap, I know, but too busy to code these myself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: KenC