Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many MS owners were there?

We had a Tesla MS presence with four powered-by-the-sun in the main parking lot outside the hangar. Go Solar!

Got great videos on the inside with the VIPs and Swiss contingent when the historic solar aircraft was circling and landing. Also inadvertently found myself front-and-center with camera during what turned out to be a significant interview with both Messrs. Piccard and Borschberg. "Fantastic" and "Incredible" were the oft-repeated words of the day from St. Andre. He is so highly intelligent and responsive, and senses all around him. The care and precision of the SI teams both at the control center and on the ground were also extraordinary.

Only glitch is videos are on my cel phone, not great quality, and need to be surgically removed for lots of edits.

Exhilarating but exhausting! :rolleyes:

The arrival of Solar Impulse 2 is the reason I delayed my electric road trip. Soon after TMC Connect, I'll be on my way!
SI2bank1200.jpg

The plane made two passes overhead before landing. With a wingspan wider than a 747's and flying at only about 30 miles per hour, the plane gracefully crawled through the air.

SI2GroupCloseB1200.jpg

Two female airline pilots I know presented the crew with leis and were amply rewarded for their efforts

DSC00548.jpg

Here's a panoramic shot I made during the press conference.

Was the wait for SI2's arrival worth the delay in beginning my mainland road trip? Yep ; )

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of us have gotten the chargepoint email about installing home chargers, but thought dsmith might want to forward this info to his building association. A common area charger is better than nothing...

Multi-Family - ChargePoint

Thanks nanimac. But the core issue is that availability of power (with sufficient amperage) in the parking area, which is all common electricity.
I still have to wait for the electrical system upgrade that the building is installing???? For public use.

There's a report in the Star-Bulletin that the Solar Impulse 2 is still here in Hawaii and will remain until sometime in August. Its down for repairs to the batteries. The batteries were over insulated and heated to much on Day 1 of the flight between Japan and Hawaii. Its going to take the team until August to repair the SI2 before it can depart. I am sure this is bitter sweet info for papafox, since he is a pilot, a renewable-energy smart consumer and one of SI2's biggest fans. Adding to that, the Solar Impulse 2 is parked in papafox's office (hanger) at Kalaeloa Airport and he's missing out on all that fun since he's on the mainland having his own fun. Sorry, papafox.

There's a report in the Star-Bulletin that the Solar Impulse 2 is still here in Hawaii and will remain until sometime in August. Its down for repairs to the batteries. The batteries were over insulated and heated to much on Day 1 of the flight between Japan and Hawaii. Its going to take the team until August to repair the SI2 before it can depart. I am sure this is bitter sweet info for papafox, since he is a pilot, a renewable-energy smart consumer and one of SI2's biggest fans. Adding to that, the Solar Impulse 2 is parked in papafox's office (hanger) at Kalaeloa Airport and he's missing out on all that fun since he's on the mainland having his own fun. Sorry, papafox.

Akikiki, All of what you say about SI2 concurs with what I've heard. Pioneering efforts are out of necessity learn-as-you-go endeavors. This delay by SI2 gives Iceman and me a fighting chance to make New York before or at the same time as SI2. Wishing them well.

Is this the year of the fox? The papafox? Seems like he's really having a great year. One cool thing after another. I was so sorry for papafox that the Solar Impulse 2 was going to be here and papafox wasn't. I mean, SI2 was making repairs using papafox's office and he wasn't there to enjoy it and talk to the crew. He's on the old mainland wheelin' around in his new Seven-D and missing all that fun. And then fate steps in. It was reported today in the Star-Bulletin that the SI2 will be making repairs until Aug, but will set on its nest until spring 'cause the days are not long enough through the winter to fly to NY. While this might not be so cool for the SI2 team, its going to be a bonus for papafox when he gets by to paradise. Right papafox? He will get to spend time with the crew and the bird before it leaves in Spring '16. Very cool.

Is this the year of the fox? The papafox? Seems like he's really having a great year. One cool thing after another. I was so sorry for papafox that the Solar Impulse 2 was going to be here and papafox wasn't. I mean, SI2 was making repairs using papafox's office and he wasn't there to enjoy it and talk to the crew. He's on the old mainland wheelin' around in his new Seven-D and missing all that fun. And then fate steps in. It was reported today in the Star-Bulletin that the SI2 will be making repairs until Aug, but will set on its nest until spring 'cause the days are not long enough through the winter to fly to NY. While this might not be so cool for the SI2 team, its going to be a bonus for papafox when he gets by to paradise. Right papafox? He will get to spend time with the crew and the bird before it leaves in Spring '16. Very cool.

Yep, SI2 will be wintering in the hangar. No worries, though, because someone has to take responsibility for traveling from one end of America to the other in an electric form of transportation, and that someone is a team of Iceman and me. Currently in a doctor's office near Queen's, getting a mohs procedure on my nose. Looking to head back to the mainland, this time with Iceman, in little more than a week.

Press Conference announcements:

1: Upgraded battery pack to 90 KWh for $3,000 - 5% battery capacity increase each year. Elon recommends existing owners wait 3-4 years (15% delta) before upgrading since bigger battery packs coming vs doing annual battery upgrades
2: Offering 70 kWH single motor for $70k - huh? Wonder how much demand for this?
3: Upgrade for the high-performance Model S to a Ludacris mode. 0-60 of 2.8 seconds.- how much faster can the P85D get?!

7.0 - going into beta testing in a few weeks. Lane centering has issues if road markings are not clear (faint, etc.)

Last edited:
Press Conference announcements:

1: Upgraded battery pack to 90 KWh for $3,000 - 5% battery capacity increase each year. Elon recommends existing owners wait 3-4 years (15% delta) before upgrading since bigger battery packs coming vs doing annual battery upgrades
2: Offering 70 kWH single motor for $70k - huh? Wonder how much demand for this?
3: Upgrade for the high-performance Model S to a Ludacris mode. 0-60 of 2.8 seconds.- how much faster can the P85D get?!

7.0 - going into beta testing in a few weeks. Lane centering has issues if road markings are not clear (faint, etc.)

3. How much faster do you need to go? 1.1G? ludricrous. Of course, it reminds me of "Space Balls". Wikipedia has a list of cars with the acceleration.
2. I think a 70kWH single motor would still be desirable. It is $5K less.
1. Pretty soon, there will be a 100 kWH battery. Tesla is trying to beat Toyota. Soon it will be a 120 kWH battery.

Last edited:
3. How much faster do you need to go? 1.1G? ludricrous. Of course, it reminds me of "Space Balls". Wikipedia has a list of cars with the acceleration.
2. I think a 70kWH single motor would still be desirable. It is $5K less.
1. Pretty soon, there will be a 100 kWH battery. Tesla is trying to beat Toyota. Soon it will be a 120 kWH battery.

Wonder how they'll handle the 40s upgrading to a 90kwh? Upgrade to 60 first?

Gosh, it there was only a market for the 40's, so you folks could get a more-range-S. Wow, seems like there should be some w-a-y, huh....

We'll have to see how the battery upgrades shake out, but at this point the move from 40 to 60 makes less sense each year as the price remains the same. Conversely, the cost of replacing the battery with an entirely new one will keep dropping. On Oahu, I see the 40kwh serving our needs for another 10 years and some really nice options will be available after that. I also like the talk about a million mile powertrain. We could find that these Model S cars are still going to be going strong 20 years from now (aluminum bodies, etc.). I think we're going to appreciate these cars more and more as the years go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.