Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head rests - so narrow and far forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The headrests are one of the strangest design decisions in my opinion. They jut forward into your head and are extremely narrow. I think they would be especially annoying for a front seat passenger who wanted to recline and take a nap to balance their head on that 6 inch wide section. I read a post by one potential buyer (not sure if it was on this forum or on facebook) who said the headrests were an absolute deal breaker for him, and he literally decided not to buy the car because he found them so uncomfortable. I don't think they're that bad, but it definitely seems like they are another example of tesla choosing form over function.

The Model 3 headrests don’t bother me one bit and seem pretty comfortable. My wife certainly has no trouble falling asleep in the passenger seat when I’m driving :D

The original headrests that came with my 2012 Mustang were absolutely horrible. I swapped those out for a newer version that Ford of course started installing in the Mustang just 2 months after I took delivery of mine.

The headrests are one of the strangest design decisions in my opinion. They jut forward into your head and are extremely narrow.
They made me cancel my reservation. I'm very sensitive to ergonomics and I like to sit up straight. Same with my girlfriend and my parents. If they eventually release a Model 3 with a *straighter* headrest, I'll get one.

This headrest makes it impossible to sit up straight with your back against the seat without bending your neck far forward. It would require massive alterations to the seat to be ergonomic; as it is it's bad for your back and neck, and my physical therapist wouldn't approve.

I think they would be especially annoying for a front seat passenger who wanted to recline and take a nap to balance their head on that 6 inch wide section. I read a post by one potential buyer (not sure if it was on this forum or on facebook) who said the headrests were an absolute deal breaker for him, and he literally decided not to buy the car because he found them so uncomfortable.
That might have been me.

I bought my Model S without ever test driving it, but I did go to a showroom and sit in the seat to make sure it was OK. Did the same with Model 3, but the seat was no good. :shrug:

I don't think they're that bad, but it definitely seems like they are another example of tesla choosing form over function.

Isn't that the way anti whiplash headrest are? I noticed a lot of cars headrest are more forward now and not straight up/flat.

My friend would take out his headrest and put it in the other way when he autox in his BRZ because it got in the way with your helmet. Probably not a good idea, but you could do it as a solution.

Reactions: preilly44
Anyone find a back support for the M3 to help with posture? The seat ergonomics are also not good *for me* (YMMV). I think it's easily fixable, just need to find the right one. I know they don't recommend seat covers, but I hope this would be OK. Feedback?

If you really like everything else about the car and are a bit handy, this might work for you.

I rented an early build from turo for an extended test drive and didn't like the headrests either. Not enough for me to cancel my reservation, but they were the one thing that irked me a little. That said I didn't notice them nearly as much when I test drove the P3D with white interior. I'm waiting for my AWD with white interior so hopefully it's improved, but if not, I'll probably adjust them a bit like they did in the video.

I was worried about this too but just completed a 600 mile trip over 2 days and the headrests ended up being very comfortable. I moved my back tilt angle rearward a little to compensate.

The headrests feel too forward at first but after a while I stopped thinking about this and everything is great.

I have not had much of a chance to test the headrests yet, but all I can say is that up to now I have not even noticed them, so they at least can't be too uncomfortable for people of my shape and size.
The whole seat experience has been far better than what I had feared after reading so many accounts of people who didn't find them comfortable or supportive enough. As it stands, I have no reason to complain yet.

YLEhgOv.jpg

Black breathable leather with fabric back and sides, memory foam inside. Well-made support cushion. Matches black premium interior seat pretty well. Elastic fabric band with buckle holds it in a good position, for me anyway. I have back problems, and with the M3 seats' adjustments, I can find a position to drive in nest-like comfort with head on headrest, neck and shoulders against cushion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Wow, got my Model 3 Headrest Upgrade and it RRROCKS!
I've had to get a similar looking headrest type of pillow for my MX. Yes I see this is a 3 forum, yet interesting to for me to note not much has changed in 3 years. The headrest on my X digs into the back of my neck and my son said the same thing the first time he sat in the car. It's a bad design for us. We are tall.

Sure, I see there are some tall people that are ok with it. Typically I don't drive with my head against the headrest, but still, it sticks out so far at the base that it puts pressure against the base of my neck even without leaning my head against it. On long all day drives, it would be more comfortable if it weren't shaped that way as I'd like to actually use it as a "Head" "Rest" during multiple days.

Wife thinks it is fine, but she is 5'6" so it fits ok. Frankly I am also in the camp of thinking did Tesla just want a sexy looking rocket seat or actually tested the design on various people. In my other cars, the height is adjustable, and is more vertical, so not a problem, but not on the X. Not sure about the 3 headrest. I'd love to just replace it if I could. Until then, the strapped on pillow works ok.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles