Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
Is there a place to submit a feature request?

Why is there no ability to manually adjust the headrest position? I know it adjusts on it's own based on how far back the seat is, but I prefer to fine tune it.

Also, recently my headrest is feeling very hard after a couple thousand miles since new (like it's lost it's cushioning). Has anyone else noticed this? It's starting to feel like my head is laying on a rock.

Also the super cheap belt buckles are starting to annoy me - the metal is exposed on one side and they feel flimsy in the hand. Can the be replaced with something nicer?

You can write so [email protected]

Also, recently my headrest is feeling very hard after a couple thousand miles since new (like it's lost it's cushioning). Has anyone else noticed this? It's starting to feel like my head is laying on a rock.

Have you used your headrest a lot? Did you bang your head into it more frequently and/or harder than you should have? If the answer to these questions is "yes", you may be the first victim of "headrest-gate." After too many or too violent head-hits, Tesla limits the softness of your headrest to insure that it continues to operate properly. This is common practice in the automotive industry, according to Tesla. Expect to see a new disclaimer on their website soon. *

* If the above is confusing, see this thread, and you will understand:

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Why is there no ability to manually adjust the headrest position? I know it adjusts on it's own based on how far back the seat is, but I prefer to fine tune it.

Also the super cheap belt buckles are starting to annoy me - the metal is exposed on one side and they feel flimsy in the hand. Can the be replaced with something nicer?

Interestingly enough, there is a hidden feature (inaccessible by normal users) that changes the function of the 4-way control on the seat that normally controls the lumbar so that it can adjust the head rest manually. I've tinkered with it, and they really need to actually put this in a menu somewhere so that people can use it.

For rooted folks, check out GUI_smartSeatSwitchDriverRequest

Interestingly enough, there is a hidden feature (inaccessible by normal users) that changes the function of the 4-way control on the seat that normally controls the lumbar so that it can adjust the head rest manually. I've tinkered with it, and they really need to actually put this in a menu somewhere so that people can use it.

For rooted folks, check out GUI_smartSeatSwitchDriverRequest

I'll bite: Is there a way for us unrooted "normal users" to get this feature to work?

As noted, inaccessible by normal users... until Tesla adds a menu option somewhere.

:( A related question then: If enabled in the future, do you know what range of movements are built into the headrests on an S? Up-down? Forward-backward? Heat-cool? Massage? Just kidding on the last two.

For my seat position, I find that the headrest is a little too far forward. Is this something that a service center can easily change?