Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat from Tesla Model 3 sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually a great idea. I should do the same.
Can you provide a link fo company web site? Would try to find something similar in my area.

I can't recommend the company that did my tint. Not because the tint was bad - it's perfect. But they also did a chrome delete and completely messed it up - I had to go back twice to get it corrected (and I'm not even necessarily a picky person).

ANY place that tints will be able to tint your sun roof - just remember to ask for ceramic, color-stable film.

I can't recommend the company that did my tint. Not because the tint was bad - it's perfect. But they also did a chrome delete and completely messed it up - I had to go back twice to get it corrected (and I'm not even necessarily a picky person).

ANY place that tints will be able to tint your sun roof - just remember to ask for ceramic, color-stable film.

Fair enough.

Just got my top glass tinted this morning (already had the sides and back tinted). I was noticing some excessive heat while driving on warm days before getting it tinted (even with the sides/back tinted). It was around 80 degrees today and I definitely noticed a significant decrease in the amount of heat hitting me directly in the head/face while driving after the top glass tint was on. I ended up putting 55% on, which only darkened it slightly. Cost was $100 (SF mid-peninsula). So far I’ve been happy with the heat reduction (drove around for a bit afterwards).

Weird. I spent several hours driving today in the Texas sun at ambient 90F. Put my hand just under the roof glass a few times and never felt anything significant in the way of heat.

Not sure why the different experiences here.

Can anyone recommend a shop in OC that can tint the top roof? I have my windows tinted but the shop doesn't think it's possible to tint the top.

I feel a lot of heat on my head and the glass is pretty hot. Heat from the glass goes all the way down to the head rest.

Just got my top glass tinted this morning (already had the sides and back tinted). I was noticing some excessive heat while driving on warm days before getting it tinted (even with the sides/back tinted). It was around 80 degrees today and I definitely noticed a significant decrease in the amount of heat hitting me directly in the head/face while driving after the top glass tint was on. I ended up putting 55% on, which only darkened it slightly. Cost was $100 (SF mid-peninsula). So far I’ve been happy with the heat reduction (drove around for a bit afterwards).

Any pics of how dark the 55% looks?

If you are feeling heat above your head, it might be just the airflow not set correctly. Adjust your AC airflow, so it would blow upwards, above your head. Simple solution that can make a huge difference. I’ve found it on my trip last week.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Interesting. Photosync (for an S) would be around $1100 iirc including the windshield, sides and rear, but *not* the roof (2 panels if pano). Not including the C-Bond additive and separate exterior windshield coating, both of which I strongly recommend. Extreme Autowerks, now in Brea, is the SoCal source for the latter, and they are authorized for Photosync as well.

Will call next week to see what the roof will cost to tint and will post what I find out if I remember.

It's $1200 for the 4 sides plus 1 piece rear
$350 for moon roof
$395 for front windshield
+ Tax

Good guys. Glad they moved cuz their old landlord sucked apparently.

Can anyone recommend a shop in OC that can tint the top roof? I have my windows tinted but the shop doesn't think it's possible to tint the top.

I feel a lot of heat on my head and the glass is pretty hot. Heat from the glass goes all the way down to the head rest.

Speaking of which, I just got back from Extreme Autowerks’ new Brea location, into which they are settling in nicely.

Opted for Photosync 35 window tint (the darkest Photosync film, which due to it being Photosync isn’t that dark while still providing 79% TSER) for the 2 roof panels.

Immediately noticeable differences both for significant glare reduction and for heat rejection. Good day to test as it was over 100F inland. And of course just stellar service from the team yet again. Which is not an accident.

Tangentially, they’ve got a guy there now doing wraps who may well be one of the top installers on the planet. I’ve seen a lot of wraps while at a lot of SCs, SvCs, car shows, and other gatherings. Suffice it to say, this guy is the Wrap Whisperer. One piece mirrors, zero front end seams where usually there are at least a couple, and all in all simply very impressive work.

Lastly, I learned that the C-Bond products used for car tint and windshields provide 100% more strength. This will make it somewhat more annoying to defeat the corner glass, but certainly not near bulletproof (like the other C-Bond product or the security films and anchoring). I agree it would be useful to continue to lobby Tesla for the glass breakage sensors, alarm, and app notifications as are available in Europe.

It already costs over $1K to have 2 sets of the latest and greatest dashcams and a hotspot installed. It would be even more annoying to have to spend yet more money for a 3rd party solution *for functionality Tesla already provides a significant percentage of its other customers*.