Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat from Tesla Model 3 sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was 30C the other day where I live and my sunroof was so hot I couldn't even touch it. I could definitely feel it on my noggin

86 F. That's not all that hot down here in CA; it was hotter than that today. And I reached up to touch my glass roof and it wasn't too hot to touch. Must be the thin air in Vancouver.

I find the 3 roof is cooler than the S, at least it seems so. The 3 reflects more of the red light, so probably more of the infra red. Just sayin'. This is all non-scientific. Maybe here in CA we're more used to feeling sun, or maybe my old hands don't feel as well as yours do.

Or maybe you're a salesman for glass tinting? No thanks. My roof reflects the heat quite nicely.

Any pics of how dark the 55% looks?
I wasn't able to get a super accurate picture of the tint. This picture is with the tint on. I would say it's slightly darker than the picture indicates (it's closer to the darkness on the right side of the picture). The lines in the picture were power lines overhead.

PS - I've driven it around a bit on some really warm days since getting it tinted. It has definitely helped with the heat. The car is not nearly as hot as it was before (both driving around and when parked in the sun).

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 187
Central FL, 90 deg F no heat issues. I was very concerned as a friend has a Porsche Cayenne GTS with a glass roof and a power rollout shade inside. Note the rollout is not blackout but also perforated. The GTS cooks you even with the roller shade closed. The GTS feels like a tanning booth. In the Tesla 3 I feel nothing... ...but joy.

I received the sunshield from Tesla today and did some testing. Like others have reported I feel some heat on my head on sunny days. Today I got in the car after it had soaked in the sun for about half an hour and clearly felt the heat. I then installed the shield and the heat was gone. :)

Not sure if it's IR radiation from the sun getting through or the hot roof itself radiating into the interior. If it's the latter, additional tinting will probably not help (since the roof still absorbs at least the same amount of energy and gets hot), while the shield provides a layer of insulation between the hot roof and the driver. It also helps with glare from the sun at certain angles.

I received the sunshield from Tesla today and did some testing. Like others have reported I feel some heat on my head on sunny days. Today I got in the car after it had soaked in the sun for about half an hour and clearly felt the heat. I then installed the shield and the heat was gone. :)

Not sure if it's IR radiation from the sun getting through or the hot roof itself radiating into the interior. If it's the latter, additional tinting will probably not help (since the roof still absorbs at least the same amount of energy and gets hot), while the shield provides a layer of insulation between the hot roof and the driver. It also helps with glare from the sun at certain angles.

I got my 3 in September here in NJ so missed most of the hot weather. Anyone notice that even when it's a balmy 21C that the interior gets up to 40 sitting in the sun? Not sure if this will significantly degrade the leather interior over time.

Ken

Noticed what i thought was an odd soccerball sized spot where water would pool and turn a purplish orange color. Turns out the whole roof was supposed to look that way.

Holy smoke. Yeah mine turns completely orange like that after it rains with droplets on the roof.

Good catch.

I don't know if that is the UV coating but definitely looks like a problem.

UV filter is really not hard. I don't think UV affects heat you feel either.