Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Height of rear seats in 5 seat version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was riding in the back of a model S today (car service) and found it extremely uncomfortable because the seats are for too low to the ground compared with the 2018 Mercedes E-class and most other sedans.

I am wondering if the same is true in the back of the 5 seat Model x. I have test driven the 6 seat version and the back seats were pretty good.

The rear seats in my 5 seat X are great for tall people like me or short people like my spouse.

I used to own an S and did not find the rear seats “extremely uncomfortable”, just lacking in headroom for those over about 5’10”

I guess it depends on how you like to sit. I like having my thighs flat on the seat so I have full thigh support. This requires that the height of the cushion is high enough, that the top of your calf lines up with the seat cushion. In the S the legroom in the back is okay, but it's not like front seat legroom so your calf is going to be at a steep angle to the floor. This then forces your thighs to be angled up towards your knee and you won't be able to rest your thigh on the cushion. So in other words you are forced to either sit in a crouched position or in a cross-legged buddhist meditation position.

You can see what I mean in this picture. It is even worse for me since I must be taller than this guy.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 3.37.34 PM.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    921.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Funny
Reactions: mbp11
X has more verticle space, so will provide a better seating position for your situation. While the center seat is the least comfortable, each side seat has room for your feet underneath the front seats and room for knees. The center stack makes it a little less comfortable for the middle passenger.

The rear seats of an X are pretty good for longer distance travel. The Falcon wing doors make entering and exiting much easier and graceful. The small moon roofs give additional light and headroom.

The large panorama front windshield gives a spacious outlook of the road ahead.

There are adjustable center rear stack air vents as well as rear facing vents under the front seats plus air vents on both the side B pillars. Read door speakers give good sound for those passengers as well.

The quiet ride makes conversation between front and rear passengers possible at relatively low levels.

All in all, a pretty nice place to travel.

I just measured the rear seats in my 5-seater X. The front of the seat (near your knees) is at about 13". (The center position goes a tiny bit higher). Of course the seats slopes down towards the rear; maybe it's 10" high in the back?

I don't know how that compares to the second row of the 6-seater, but it's not exactly chair-height seating. I too would prefer more thigh support; it's my only complaint about sitting back there.

I don't have an S anymore, but I do remember thigh support being a big issue with the rear seat of that car too. Just for fun I measured the back seat of my 3; it goes up to about 11". It slopes a little more than the rear seats in the X; the 3's rear seat looks like it might slope down to where it's only 6" or so off floor level.

I have been a passenger in the MS and drove and was a passenget in the M3 and I have found those are too low and difficult to get in and out of. My MX is higher up and is much easier to get in and out of, and of course, the wide FWDs make access to the back seat much easier. It is like night and day.

I never had anyone complain in my 5-seater. I am 5' 11" and it is fine. And I have everyone from a 6' 3" friend to 4' kids in the back seats and none seemed to have issues.

Heavier people in the driver seat have add issues with comfort in the padding.