Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello - new to the forum and looking for opinions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Jaguar iPace SE on order (Ceasium Blue, Oyster Grey with Panoramic roof as an option) and am excited about it arriving.

A good looking car, premium interior, EV capability that works for my lifestyle, and great performance.

I looked at the Model S at the time of ordering and discounted on affordability terms and didn’t consider the Model 3 due to the stories of huge waiting lists and I have a need for a car in September due to the end of my current lease.

A week ago my lease company sent out a general email promoting the Model 3 lease deals and I was surprised by the availability timescales (August / September) and am now considering changing the order (which I can do for a £289 administration fee).

My current view is as follows:

Advantages of the Model 3 are: performance (looking at the Performance model), range, charging infrastructure, technology and price (works out about £2500 cheaper over the lease term).

Disadvantages of the model 3: boot practicality (small saloon opening), interior build quality (plastics etc are less premium), looks (a matter of opinion but its not that striking - nowhere as nice the S), and the minimalist interior (no display behind the wheel etc) is something that I cannot love at the moment; and what could be a bit of fiddly interface (physical buttons do offer a easier eyes on the road control option IMO)

Advantages of the iPace: hatchback boot; interior material quality; more dealerships; and a more traditional modern car feel
Disadvantages of the iPace: charging infrastructure; technology is more traditional and wont update.

Finding the decision really difficult.

Ideally I would like the combination of the Jaguar looks and build quality, but the Tesla technological capability and performance / infrastructure.

The model 3 feels like a future sci-fi autonomous car that they didn’t want to put a steering wheel in - it feels less of a drivers car, in looks particularly. Performance is amazing, but can feel a bit soulless. And the boot opening is an annoyance (had a 4 series coupe previous and it looks worse than than that).

The Jaguar feels like a ‘drivers’ car and I think has more presence. I also think it will retain some exclusivity as I can see the Model 3 SR becoming the new ubiquitous company car replacing the BMW 320D.

Anyone else pondering the 2 cars / already pondered and made a decision? I get a sense that I will have FOMO with whatever decision I make.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies so far - it wasn’t me that posted elsewhere.

I have been on the iPace forums for a while learning about the car ahead of taking delivery - and been on there saying I have doubts ahead of the delivery.

It feels like a hard topic to get a balanced view - people get very passionate about their choices

ok good, you replied so that is a good start :) I would advise reading that article listed above. Also if you want to compare apples to apples a Model S is the same class as the Jaguar. You are directly comparing cars that are not in the same class.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Advantages of the iPace: hatchback boot; interior material quality; more dealerships; and a more traditional modern car feel

I would not assume that more dealerships translates into technicians that are familiar with the electric vehicle service since it constitutes such a small overall percentage of Jaguar vehicles sold. I say this based on my Chevrolet Volt ownership experience.

I think it would be better to compare the i-Pace with the future Model Y.

Right now, I would be puzzle like your are mostly because the i-Pace seems more practical but the Model 3 provides a better battery range.

Since you plan getting a lease, then I would go with the Model 3
- just because at the end of the lease of the Model 3, the Model Y will be available,
- and it seems that the i-Pace is still new, so at the end of Model 3 lease, the I-Pace would have improved
and it would be a good time to compare the I-Pace with the Model Y, and maybe the Audi e-Tron....

Of all your decisions regarding getting an EV, beside the price, the most important is the battery, especially considering the winter time.

Snow but also rain affect range, and heating too. I'm in northern California and my consumption is about twice in winter,
but at least winter lasts only two or three months and is not too harsh unless you go to sky resorts...

Also if it's only for local commute, and you can charge at home, any EVs, even a Zoe or Leaf, would be fine,
but if you also want to go for a journey, like Scotland or Normandy, range and charging infrastructure can be a key factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I would never buy any EV but Tesla. Why? Because Tesla is the best and has more experience than any other manufacturers combined. It shows in their offerings also. Jaguar is awesome car as ICE but as EV? No bloody way. You don't wanna be a testing pig on their first car, do you?
My advice, cancel as fast as you can and get Tesla. Get the model you like and want.
It will take years before other manufacturers offer something substantial. Maybe Porsche will be first one but that is yet to be seen.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
At some point Jaguar will EOL the iPace and its third-party technology. That's going to affect the resale value in a few years, though it may not matter since you are looking at leasing.

Its a bigger, more expensive, slower car with shorter range and poorer charging options than the AWD Tesla Model 3.
The real question is whether the extra size is worth the downsides for you.

I bought a transitional car, a Volt, thinking that a traditional dealership would ease any anxiety I would have going EV. I was wrong. The Chevy dealers don't care for the Volt. They knew almost nothing about it, bugging me for oil changes it didn't need, etc. The salespeople don't know anything about it. You'll quickly find that you know more than them. They only have one mechanic trained on a Volt, and if that mechanic is out, he's out. The Volt was the red-headed stepchild at Chevy dealers because it doesn't really make them money post-sale. They want you to buy an ICE.

Of course, you're in the UK, and there are lots of Jag dealers and maybe the situation selling an EV at a traditional dealer will be different there, than it is in the US, but maybe not. That experience at the dealer is what made me ready to switch to an all-EV manufacturer as soon as the Model 3 was available. At Tesla, for better or worse, they only sell EVs. As long as traditional dealers sell ICE vehicles, they'll give EVs the short stick, because money. Think about it, are they even too concerned you won't like the iPace? Of course not, they can switch you into an FPace.

My biggest concern is that the Jag's range seems to be really poor. When you factor in good battery maintenance, and cold weather, etc., that range gets less and less.

Great replies. Some more information / comments:

Have test driven both cars.
Practicality is mainly referring to the boot opening (hatch v one of the smallest saloon “holes”)
Range wise / charging network are a “win” for the Tesla, but my motoring life means that the Jaguar is not really a problem
Comparing Apples and Apples - from a lease cost perspective and size they are as close as I can get (at least in the UK)

I think the reason I am torn, is that the differences are really subjective.

Looks - externally the Jaguar IMO is better looking and more imposing. And also - never had a SUV/Cross-over and that is attractive. The Tesla is very “average” in comparison.

Interior - the minimalist Tesla interior is a bit “marmite” (aka polarising) and I cant tell if I like it or hate it? The Jaguar one is a very good modern “standard” interior. The internal materials are definitely of lesser quality - a result of the cheaper purchase price (but it doesn’t translate as markedly in monthly costs). The other thing is the floor height in the back and comfort for taller passengers.

Technology - a huge win for Tesla, but on my short-ish drive I found it unintuitive. Expect that this would be something I would learn quickly though.

Almost at the point of tossing a coin at the moment.

From spending time on the iPace forums the range in the real world seems to be in the 200-220 winter, and 230-250 in summer.

People can get longer with careful driving.

However 99% of my journeys will not get close to that in a day so almost irrelevant.

I have a toddler, so anything longer than that would require a stop for at least 45 minutes which would be enough to “top up” to get to destination.

For the small number of times we do go for long journeys the Tesla range and Superchargers are a bit tick in the plus column for the car.

The EV specialty dealership is another good point - I suppose I’d thought that a new car to 3 years old will barely see a dealership (my current Skoda Octavia hasn’t been in the dealership once in the last 3 years). Maybe new EV technology means trips will be more frequent?

Honestly, if you're concerned about the spartan interior of the Tesla or the quality of the finish after test driving, I'd say get the Jag. It seems like folks in the UK have a soft spot for Jags (there was another thread with almost the exact same comparisons about a month ago that would not die). Almost every American I know that has had an experience with a Jag says never again.

You shouldn't need to have service as frequently as an ICE vehicle, but I think a big concern for a lot of folks with the Jag is that there not much data in the real world while Tesla has multiple years of experience across several models. With a Jag, you're going to be a bit more of a beta tester than with a Tesla, IMO.