Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: CPO 85 or New 75D?

CPO 85 or New 75D?

• CPO 85

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • New 75D

Votes: 48 85.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are you getting such an expensive CPO? Is it solely AP1 you need? Save yourself the money on AP1 and just get a pre-AP CPO. They are in the 50's. Some 85's are even in the 40's. is AP worth 20k to you? That is the question to ask yourself, There are probably tons of opinions on that issue.

If you are only having the car for 2 years, sounds like a lease might be something to look into.

Reactions: abasile and sunilsf
75D

For the D, newer tech, AP2, longer in-warranty, etc.
Still get supercharging, newer nose, rear cupholders and usb, etc.

No regrets. Many of us here can also help you save another $1,000 with the referral code.

Good luck, choice is between awesome and awesome+.

These conversations are always fun. To add to what @Cattledog said, new because...
  • You get new car smell
  • You have peace of mind of not having to worry about previous owner issues
For a CPO 85 vs new 75D you're looking at $3500/year. I know that's not chump change but in the scheme of things going new seems like you're taking less risk, getting more value. Also, if it turns out you want to hang on to the S, you'll have the newer car. It maybe that you want to wait another for Model 3 issues to be fleshed out.

My 2 cents...

These conversations are always fun. To add to what @Cattledog said, new because...
  • You get new car smell
  • You have peace of mind of not having to worry about previous owner issues
For a CPO 85 vs new 75D you're looking at $3500/year. I know that's not chump change but in the scheme of things going new seems like you're taking less risk, getting more value. Also, if it turns out you want to hang on to the S, you'll have the newer car. It maybe that you want to wait another for Model 3 issues to be fleshed out.

My 2 cents...
I get the desire for a new car but you actually have less risk with CPO. The new car is guaranteed depreciation. The CPO has that already built in. In 5 years, the 75D and the CPO will be very close in trade in value. Keep in mind you have a 4 year warranty for CPOs.

I am more cost sensitive when it comes to cars as you probably can tell. I like my assets to appreciate.

I'm in the same boat right now. Trying to make a purchase before Dec 31. I'm hoping for an S85 - preferrably 2014 under 50k. I've found a couple that are near. I'm going to look for the thread on this site that serves as a "checklist" before or during the process of purchasing a CPO.

Ideally: 2014; S85; 21' Wheels; Pano; Tech Package; Blue/White/Silver;

I noticed many other 2014 S85's are 10K+ more with minimal differences (milage, Ultra Sounds, Premium LIghting, Air Suspension, etc.) Things that don't really appeal to me. In fact, once I see cars in the 60k or above - I don't see why go for a CPO over a new 60D.

Reactions: sunilsf
Whatever you do..get the D if you ever plan on dealing with snow or ice with the precious cargo on board.

I prefer the new 75D than the old stuff because I look forward and would like the car to be worth something if and when I get the 3 and may end up wanting to keep it.

Looks like a lot more pepole chose the same option. What are you going to do?

- curios

I'm in Seattle and bought a CPO 60 in June. Two things I would do differently if within my budget would be to get more range and get a D. But I got a good deal and didn't want to spend what it would take. I too am planning to use this car as a bridge from June to my Model 3, so wanted to keep cost low. We'll see what happens in the next year or so...

I think a 70 or more will be sufficient range for most trips out of our area. Superchargers, and alternate charging networks for overnight use (or destination charging with Tesla connectors), make a 70/75 reasonable. And with the way our roads can get slick with wet snow and black ice, the D is more valuable here than maybe in other snowy areas where the snow packs and can be driven. I grew up in NY and drove to Vermont in FWD cars, because that's what we did and we knew how to handle the conditions. Less willing to do that in our mountains, especially up to Whistler. That said, I haven't tried snow here yet in my S but many swear by it. (I did buy the Tesla-specific tire chains, though.)

I agree range is a big factor, but a friend has a 90D and he has lamented that maybe he didn't need to go that big. His initial thought was to be able to drive Seattle to Whistler without stopping to charge. Straightforward enough but now he's not sure it was worth the extra $$ over the 75D.

I was just looking at TeslaInventory.com, and there is a long list of 70D inventory cars that would qualify for the federal tax credit (not a rebate...). They're already discounted significantly so price wise it's not too bad.

Finally, if you're going to want to put a roof rack on the car for skis you need one with the pano roof. The body-color roof does not have the necessary anchors for an integrated rack system.

Hope this helps.

I ended up going P85 CPO (and pick it up in ten days!) but that's because I really don't care for AP. My commute is short and I actually enjoy driving on most road trips. The few times I don't just are not worth the difference for me. Instead I'm getting a car that was originally $115k (so $108k after the tax credit) for $66k, less than two years later. Letting someone else take that depreciation hit made sense to me! If I were looking new I wouldn't get pano, UHFS, upgraded interior, etc, and I'd still pay about the same or more for less range and a slower car. Without AP in the mix the CPO made perfect sense.

Reactions: ModelX and BEEZR
AP2 is not necessary, as we all know by looking back 100 years.
This is true, but it's not just the potential for safer trips that's interesting about cars with full autonomy. When driving in traffic for two hours, for instance, it sure would be nice to let the car take over while we get our work done, catch up on emails, etc. Further, our very oldest and youngest family members would have greater independence. Having this capability may not seem like a big deal, but it really is.

We have an 85d Coil and a Refresh s75 with SAS.

I would take the 75D over the CPO s85. (Ideally a 75D with SAS for weather/roads.)
I'm starting to prefer the Air Suspension for longer road trips. Coil for road feel. (german engineering feel).
There are also a lot of refinements in the refresh.

I recently bought a CPO facelift s75 with next gen, PUP and Pano options. I paid $68k

I had originally put the deposit on a pre facelift s70 for $64.5k.

I was really glad I switched cars for the facelift. Yes I have a smaller frunk... but, the facelift front end has rally grown on me and I think it will make more of a difference in resale / feeling new department than any feature. Just because it is so visibly apparent.

That being said I know many people (I used to be one of them) prefer the nose cone front end.

The deals out there right now on inventory cars were not as good when I purchased. I would probably have gone with one of those until this week when they made the ventilated X seats available in the 60...

Always something new...