Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP, how to contact Elon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Elon Musk,

I am contacting you because I have tried to trade in my Tesla Model s p85+. My car was delivered in early 2014. Unfortunately I have had several issues with the quality of my car. The first year I owned the car it was at the Tesla service location in Copenhagen for 12 weeks. The numbers of components and failures are far above what has been normal for other Tesla owners. The service management team agrees to lack of quality of the car that I received, and helped me with a fair trade-in price.
As the Danish tax authorities has raised the car tax on electric cars I also wanted to trade in this year due to the savings in tax to come next year.
So I send in a quote for a max loaded P90D, and thought that everything was ok, until I explained that I had noise insulated the doors in my car due to excessive road noise in the first models. All new cars have similar noise insulation as mine now! BUT because it was something I had done, Tesla simply refused to trade in the car!
I dare not sell this car privately due to all the failures it has had.
Hope this reaches Elon, and that the company has sympathy for the numerous problems I had to go through with the first model.

2014 P85+ P30219

snip
until I explained that I had noise insulated the doors in my car due to excessive road noise in the first models. All new cars have similar noise insulation as mine now! BUT because it was something I had done, Tesla simply refused to trade in the car!
I dare not sell this car privately due to all the failures it has had.

Advice, sell it on the open market, explain the issues with the car, someone will buy it for a good price (most likely better than what TM would have offered or did offer but ensure they know what they are getting) and get your P90D before taxes go up.

I can understand why Tesla does not want to take the car as a trade in because of the modifications that have been made. They may seem like a small thing, but what if the added insulation loosens and causes issues with the mechanical components inside the doors? Why would Tesla take that risk for a car that they want to re-sell with a warranty?
Sell the car privately, disclose all the repair history, and let the buyers decide.
This story is a cautionary tale for those who make aftermarket modifications to their Tesla's.

Well, i use the same materials af Tesla so what's the problem?

Anyway as i was driving home tonight failure again - again on my car. The automatic suspension failed, and i had to contact Tesla - now i am waiting again for them to service my car. This car has been a real disaster for me, so sad as i really liked the concept and the Tesla story when i ordered the car. Believe it or not - that's why i tried to do a trade in - to get a better experience and still support Tesla.

Well, i use the same materials af Tesla so what's the problem?

Sorry that you've had so many problems with the car.

Problem is that if they are going to warranty the car to the next seller, they require the car only have approved updates. You might have used the same materials, but they have no way of knowing that. Your work may be as good as (or better than) they would have done, but again, they have no way of knowing that.

I have a Roadster and while I've added after-market upgrades, I've kept the original parts carefully stored away, so if I ever were to sell it back to Tesla, there would be no issue.

Out of curiosity, have you modified, tinkered, disassembled/reassembled or changed anything else on your car outside of the sound deadening? I don't think it might be related but it could point to something.

It is very rare to have an issue with air suspension, but you may just have one of the few.

I agree with others. Trying to sell in private market while disclosing all the problems probably is the best bet. You don't have a lot of time for someone in Tesla to respond before the tax deadline and the guy who usually does has been replaced. Elon doesn't respond typically to these kinds of issues.